PDA

View Full Version : Stacker Trailer?

Greg Amy
08-06-2004, 05:31 PM
I've been looking for a 2-car tagalong trailer lately. I've found some examples and Wally from Trailerworld (who's on this forum) has been EXTREMELY helpful. In fact, he contacted me a week or so ago with a near-perfect candidate.

My only problem is that I don't have any place to store a long trailer. I've got a nice driveway where I can keep the single-car trailer, but adding 75% again more length just makes it unwieldy. Plus, I have a narrow timber-bordered entrance way and a not-so-wide street, so I really can't be making wide turns. I'm still looking for alternatives, though...

However, I saw something this weekend that caught my eye. I saw a Ford pickup truck pulling two cars on a tagalong trailer, with one partially stacked on top of the other. It appears to have been a modified 18- to 20-foot closed-deck two-axle trailer, with a frame built on the nose. On that frame was a ramp onto which the first car was driven, then that ramp was raised and the second car was slid underneath of it. I pulled alongside the guy and got his number to contact him for details; he told me a "guy outta Texas" built it for him.

This sounds like it would solve my storage issues, and perfect for carrying two small cars (two Spec Miatas or one Spec and my IT Nissan coupe.) Has anyone else seen one of these before? If so, do you happen to have a source for it? I've called the guy but not gotten any response yet.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

racer-025
08-06-2004, 09:40 PM
yes that is very interesting. I was thinking the same thing. I would like to find that design too. A local here has an interesting 2 car trailer that he hauls 2 old Javalin's on with his motorhome. The front has a fixed ramp that he winches 1 car up to the top (almost the height of his motorhome) and the other car flat.

08-06-2004, 09:56 PM
I've seen one here in the DC region at Summit Point hauling 2 SRX-7's...
It's basically a wedge style trailer, drive one car up onto the deck, raise the rear of the car and then drive the second car onto the deck under the rear of the first car.

If you had someplace to find the parts, you could probably build one yourself if you could find an old used semi car hauler trailer to use the ramps, hydraulic rams etc...

I don't know if the guy is a member on this site, but if I can get a pick of the trailer at the Labor Day race, I'll pass it along.

[This message has been edited by 2Many Z's (edited August 06, 2004).]

RonInSD
08-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Take a look at this trailer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2484852 315&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2484852315&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)

I would add more support for where the lift attaches to the trailer.

--------------
Here is another one but his price is a little high and it is 29 foot long so it is not much better then a short 2 car trailer but I like the idea.

http://www.oldcars.com/car1007.html

[This message has been edited by RonInSD (edited August 10, 2004).]

Greg Amy
08-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Ron, that second one is nearly EXACALY what I'm looking for ('cept shorter...)

GA

08-11-2004, 12:58 AM
The second one is almost a perfect clone of the one I have seen at Summit. I wouldn't doubt they are both made by the same company.

RonInSD
08-11-2004, 08:11 AM
The trailer is so long because the deck tilts and you don't need ramps. If it wasn't very long the angle would be to steep. I have that problem with my 20 ft H&H tilt deck. It is hard to keep the car from rolling back. When the trailer is tilted up the front of it is right at 4 foot off the ground.

I was looking at using a 20 flat trailer and building a larger box in front so the top car would be a little more level. I was going to extend the top ramps back so that when lowered they meet up with the top of a beaver tail. I was also going to make sure I could raise the top deck up high enough inorder to use it as a service lift if needed at the track.