PDA

View Full Version : Truck brake pads

seamus88
07-26-2004, 02:52 PM
I have a 97 GMC 1500 I need new pads.Any sugestions?

joeg
07-26-2004, 04:41 PM
I hear good things about Performance friction Carbon Metalics.

moto62
07-26-2004, 11:18 PM
I'll second the Performance friction for stopping power. You might also want to try the Morse ceramics for about the same price as the carbon metallics. They require a little more pedal pressure but are totally dust free if that matters.
Ray

mgyip
07-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by seamus88:
I have a 97 GMC 1500 I need new pads.Any sugestions?

Sean - I just went to PRC Z-Rated pads on my truck. Previously I had Porterfields which were fine but for simplicity, I went with PFC.

You won't beleive the difference in stopping power!! I had a '90 GMC before the Ford and it was absolutely horrible until I went to PFC pads!!

The best thing about PFC is that you can special order then thru your local AutoZone dealer.

Tobey
07-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by mgyip:
The best thing about PFC is that you can special order then thru your local AutoZone dealer. I'll second the PFC z-rated. I use them on my Bronco. Nice stopping power and next to no dust.

You're wrong about one thing, though. The best thing about them is the lifetime warranty. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

seamus88
07-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Unfortunately I had to a emergency brake job and could not wait to order anything.Had to by Pep Boys Raybestos. Maybe next time.

seamus88
07-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Girlfriend would not drive on the backing plates.

Karl Bocchieri
08-07-2004, 11:28 AM
I have a 2002 Yukon XL and thought the brakes were marginal, changed to PRC pads with some improvement. Just changet to EBC Green stuff pads on the front only. I almost could not believe the difference. The inital bite is great and it has way more stopping power. My wife who never liked the way it stopped could imediately tell the difference. Only problem is that they realy dust the wheels. Small price to pay for the much improved performance. Anyone who has a late model GM product should switch to these.