PDA

View Full Version : Can I improve performance

Festus E. Simkins
08-05-2004, 03:14 PM
I have a 1994 Suburban C1500 2WD auto trans with TBI (the one that looks like a carb.) Everything is stock, i.e., 200 hp don't know torque. 130,000 miles on the clock.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance? I tow a tandem open trailer with an IT-7. Would aftermarket headers help any and if so how much? With the TBI I don't think a chip would help any.

All suggestions appreciated.

Drive well.

chuck baader
08-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi, Festus...been there with the same vehicle. Added headers, larger TB, chip, thermostat, cat back, etc. and didn't make a damn bit of difference except I had to use hi-test gas. You can throw all the money in the world at that motor with minimal results. I would suggest you find a later model truck with the 6.0 vortec and haul buggy. Good Luck...

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

mlytle
08-05-2004, 03:38 PM
but, but, but...if you added all the hp increase numbers up that are listed for all those mods in the summit or pp catalog, you should have been getting like, 600hp out of that small block!
<dripping sarcasim..>

marshall
99 k2500 'burb with 454 big block.

RonInSD
08-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Festus E. Simkins:
I have a 1994 Suburban C1500 2WD auto trans with TBI (the one that looks like a carb.) Everything is stock, i.e., 200 hp don't know torque. 130,000 miles on the clock.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance? I tow a tandem open trailer with an IT-7. Would aftermarket headers help any and if so how much? With the TBI I don't think a chip would help any.

All suggestions appreciated.

Drive well.

Headers would help but you need to increase the air in to the motor also. Remember that a motor is basiclly a big air pump. Air in and Air out.

If you don't mind the work. I would install a CompCam cam for towing. I installed one in a 454 that a built a couple years ago and it really livened up the motor. It also improved the fuel milage. I can be done in a good afternoon but you also need to replace the fliters also and I would also replace the timing chain while you are at it. Summit and Jegs are the best place to go for prices and info. Call their tech/sales lines and tell them what you want to do.

Quickshoe
08-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Festus,

Don't throw a bunch of money in the motor trying to make it more powerful, make its' work a little easier. Put a lower rear end gear in it.

Could you live with worse gas mileage (when not towing) and a little higher rpm at highway speeds? It is possible that you might actually get the same/better mileage while towing by not having your foot through the floorboard everytime you have a little grade to deal with. Do the math, see what you could live with.

See if you can find out how much torque you are making at 65mph in Drive (calculate the rpm). Find out how far from your peak torque (value) and rpm are you at that speed. Putting in a real low rear gear and an OD trans (to compensate when not towing) might be the biggest bang for the buck and won't conflict with your states' smog laws.

Of course if it already has a 4.xx gear in it you probably don't want to go much lower. You don't have big 31" or taller tires on it do you?

------------------
Daryl DeArman