PDA

View Full Version : Source for Used Tires?

erlrich
02-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Does anyone have a good source for used tires, preferably Toyos or Kumhos? I'm looking to pick up a cheap set to get through a driver's school, and don't really want to waste a set of Hoosiers on a school. I've been watching ebay for a couple of months now, and check this and several other boards regularly, but as of yet have had little luck.

Thanks
Earl

x-ring
02-08-2005, 10:02 AM
It might help if you tell us what size you need.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

joeg
02-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Besides sizes, you might want to tell us where you are.

I have a quantity of 205-55X14 good used Kumhos (and some Hoosiers too).

Cheers.

erlrich
02-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Sorry guys, I was thinking of shops and/or websites, not individuals. I'm looking for 205-225/45-50/15, preferably something that will make it through a 2-day school. I have several previously owned sets of hoosiers, but like I said really don't want to waste them on a school.

Oh, and I'm in northern VA.

Thanks
Earl

anthonywill3
02-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by joeg:

Cheers.

I may be interested in some of those 205's. you can email me directly at anthonywill3 at comcast.net

dave parker
02-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Earl
You are going to do the Spring school at Summit Point right?
Call Radial Tire and buy yourself a set of Toyo RA1 in the size you need. Go full tread since it will probably rain.
You will be happy, your instructor will be happy, the car will be happy. A win/win for everyone involved. You can even have Radial's delivery guy drop them off here at my shop in Sterling so you don't have drive to Silver Spring.

Seriously, drivers school is NOT the time to go cheap on tires. If you have questions or just want to rant and rave you know where to find me.
cheers
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

[This message has been edited by dave parker (edited February 09, 2005).]

erlrich
02-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Dave -

Yes, the plan right now is to do the spring school. And, I actually had already planned to get either a set of full tread Toyos or Hoosier wets in case it rained. I was under the impression, though, that it wasn't a good idea to run full tread Toyos on a dry track. But you don't think it will be a problem?

Btw, did I tell you how much I hate that you moved to Sterling? Manassas was so much closer for me... thank goodness for ogracing.com http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Earl

manny
02-10-2005, 08:05 AM
did you ever think about the falken azena's.at the price of $62 a tire i think there great.just my .02.

erlrich
02-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by manny:
did you ever think about the falken azena's. at the price of $62 a tire i think there great.just my .02.

Manny - yes, in fact I already have a set with about 50% tread left I've been using for FATT days. I had figured as a last resort I could use those, but didn't think they would be anywhere near as fast as even a used set of Toyos or Kumhos, especially since they only come in a 205/50/15. I'm planning on doing the FATT the day before the school, so maybe I'll try the full tread Toyos and the Falkens and see which ones work better.

Earl

ddewhurst
02-10-2005, 10:05 AM
***but didn't think they would be anywhere near as fast as even a used set of Toyos or Kumhos, ***

Earl, lack of "fast" should not be an issue at a school. Not being fastest may smack the ego a tad but so what. All of our egos get smacked a tad when we start racing.

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

erlrich
02-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by ddewhurst:
Not being fastest may smack the ego a tad but so what. All of our egos get smacked a tad when we start racing.

David - you're right of course, and I realize the instructors are looking at many other things besides lap times (if they even look at lap times at all). It's just that, given the fact my class (ITA) will be one of if not the slowest classes in my group, I wanted to do whatever I could to keep from being a "rolling chicane". I guess the bright side is I'll probably be an expert at point-bys by the end of the school http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Matt Rowe
02-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by erlrich:
It's just that, given the fact my class (ITA) will be one of if not the slowest classes in my group, I wanted to do whatever I could to keep from being a "rolling chicane".

If it is anything like my school at Summit having previous driving experience makes a real difference, more so than what car you drive. My unsorted and slow (even for ITA) car was holding it's own with AS and T2 cars. Granted all of that was in the turns, but even coming onto the front straight my corner exit speeds were high enough to be gaining on them for the first hundred feet.

Don't worry too much about how fast you are, especially if you have previous track experience. Pay more attention to how to avoid causing and getting into someone elses incidents. In the end most of the instructors are trying to decide if they would feel comfortable on the same track with you, not what your lap times are.

------------------
~Matt Rowe
ITA Shelby Charger
MARRS #96

HBennett
02-11-2005, 09:39 AM
I could be interested in some of those 14" tires also. Does anybody still have them available? You can drop me a line at [email protected] Thanks.

Howard Bennett

MadFrog
02-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Earl, don't worry, you won't be the only ITA out there. I'll there in a civic, sorting it out and breaking it in. I bought an extra mirror to I won't miss all those cars coming up on me.
I may also be at the FATT the day before. If so, I'll try to find you.

Is there tire support at the school? I have a couple sets of used hoosiers, and a set of used dirt stockers for rain, but i want to get a set of RA-1s to use as intermediate tires... Maybe I should get them before hand is we don't get tire support.

erlrich
02-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by MadFrog:
Earl, don't worry, you won't be the only ITA out there. I'll there in a civic, sorting it out and breaking it in. I bought an extra mirror to I won't miss all those cars coming up on me.
I may also be at the FATT the day before. If so, I'll try to find you.

Is there tire support at the school? I have a couple sets of used hoosiers, and a set of used dirt stockers for rain, but i want to get a set of RA-1s to use as intermediate tires... Maybe I should get them before hand is we don't get tire support.

Cool - I'll definitely be there Friday. I haven't been on track in over 6 months, so I wouldn't even think of doing the school without a practice day first. I'll be in a red 240SX, stop by if you get a chance. It'll be nice to have someone to play with Saturday & Sunday.

As far as tire support, I worked F&C for the fall school and don't remember seeing anyone there selling tires, but then I wasn't really looking. I would call BSR, or Dave Parker at OG Racing if you don't get a response here.

dave parker
02-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Guys
Generally the tire guys do not come to the Summit schools. The smart student will have plenty of mounted, ready to go tires, at the track.
Good luck,
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

erlrich
02-11-2005, 06:32 PM
"Smart student"... isn't that one of those oxymorons?

As a side note - is it just me, or did the price of school go way up? The last time I checked, the WDC school was $325, now I see for the spring school it's $395! For a single school? Wow.

dave parker
02-14-2005, 11:13 AM
The price increase on the Washington DC region schools at Summit Point is there to cover the massive cost of living raise the region just gave the instructor corps. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Seriously, the DC Region school has not had a price increase in four or five years, so it was due. Remember nothing gets cheaper,the price always goes up.

As far as smart students, IF any of us were smart we would be wasting our money on the stock market or something.
See ya at the school
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

Spinnetti
03-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by joeg:

Cheers.

Where are you at?
I'm doing a track day in a few weeks and could use some spare skins...

I've been out awhile - I hear the Hoosiers burn up fast?

joeg
03-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Buffalo NY

chumpy36
03-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by erlrich:
Does anyone have a good source for used tires, preferably Toyos or Kumhos? I'm looking to pick up a cheap set to get through a driver's school, and don't really want to waste a set of Hoosiers on a school. I've been watching ebay for a couple of months now, and check this and several other boards regularly, but as of yet have had little luck.

Thanks
Earl

Earl,

I've got couple sets of Toyos in 205/50/15 that are in good shape. Drop me a line if you are still interested.

Jason
jason at c2racing dot com

cashmo
03-07-2005, 11:12 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I was thinking of shops and/or websites</font>
Try Jon Berget Tires at 414 (might be 262 now) - 740-0180.

Jeff