PDA

View Full Version : Camlock FIA belts, $109.99

JIgou
02-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Subject says it all.

http://www.racerwholesale.com/Merchant2/me...lock+Harnessses (http://www.racerwholesale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RW&Product_Code=GF-C5000&Category_Code=G-FORCE+Camlock+Harnessses)

Jarrod

Joe Craven
02-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Yep, good for 5 years. I still don't buy the 2 year SFI recommendation, especially since I store my car indoors.

JIgou
02-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Another source, same price, free shipping: http://www.saferacer.com/5pocahaset.html

Specify you want the FIA tags in the comment space on the order form....

fiestadude
02-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Jarrod:

Can you get the same thing w/o the camlock? Call me strange, but I prefer the latch type of fastner.

Just curious to see if I can get FIA w/o cam-lock.

Thanks,

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

fiestadude
02-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Nevermind....

I just called RW - You can only get the FIA tags w/Camlock.

Bummer....

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

JIgou
02-16-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm with ya JJ....but from all appearances, I suspected what you confirmed.

FWIW, I ordered from saferacer.com last Thursday; they were waiting for me today when I got home from work.

SFI date tag: May 04
FIA date tag: "Not good after 2008"

jarrod

Dave Burchfield
02-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Larry Morris and son Bart Morris, who own MOJO Racing in Kenton, OH, and are IT drivers are offering the same deal with free shipping. I ordered from them today.

www.mojoracing.com (http://www.mojoracing.com)

db

Dave Burchfield
02-16-2004, 07:40 PM
Flood control message?

On the first post?

hmmmmmmm.....

[This message has been edited by Dave Burchfield (edited February 16, 2004).]

Karl Bocchieri
02-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Just recieved my new belts fron Racerwhosale and they look and feel great. FIA tags attached on every belt. I like the adjusters, they have a roll of seat belt material inside of the tab, makes it very easy to tighten with gloves on.

fiestadude
02-20-2004, 11:32 AM
I just thought of this last night, and could not locate a FasTrack. Does the Seatbelt rule encompass window nets as well?

Probably wouldn't hurt to get a new net.

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

dickita15
02-20-2004, 11:55 AM
no nets have not changed. they need a tag but they do not expire
dick

ITSRX7
02-20-2004, 11:55 AM
I have the 2004 GCR and there is no update to the net rule. SFI rated is required.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region #188967

fiestadude
02-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys.

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

RSTPerformance
04-07-2004, 10:28 AM
These FIA G-Force belts seem to be selling out in places...

Another source is:

http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/stor...=harness_gforce (http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=harness_gforce)

Free next day shipping all colors in stock. Ordered ours the other day.

Raymond Blethen

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited April 08, 2004).]

tdw6974
04-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Just ordered a set from www.mojoracing.com (http://www.mojoracing.com) they are instock. Talked to Larry (since I manage to turn cc # around) fellow racers. The web is very user friendly.

------------------
Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
"Hemi haulin' Rotary"

x-ring
04-09-2004, 10:06 AM
A little off topic, but I want to chip in here about Mojo Racing.

Each and every time I have called them I have spoken with someone (Larry?) that is very knowledgeable and helpful. Shipments arrive when they are supposed to and what I ordered is actually in the box. I don't mean to sound like I'm on the payroll there, I'm not, but they are so nice and so helpful that they deserve my business and I hope you give them a try too.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

lobster
04-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Hey gang, Larry is very helpful orderer my new helmet from him got lost in ups he HELPED me find it. I will buy from them again Glenn

emwavey
04-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Hey guys thanks for the info. I wound up purchasing a 5pt cam lock for like just over 100 bucks and a closeout Momo 3-layer race suit.
- from Saferacer.com

Cheers!
-dave
8)

Mike Guenther
05-05-2004, 11:53 PM
This thread is the first I've heard about the 5 point belts being DQ'd in 2007. Why?
I don't see any advantage of the 6 point design over the 5 point design. Maybe that's why these 5 point belts are on sale.

spnkzss
05-06-2004, 09:44 AM
I was going to say the same thing about the 5-points being DQ'd in '07. I read it in SportsCar that it was voted on. I don't quite understand the mentality, except for us guys (two straps straddling instead of one strap on top http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

RSTPerformance
05-06-2004, 12:07 PM
where in this thread does it say the 5 point will be DQ'd???

What sportscar?

Raymond

spnkzss
05-06-2004, 01:08 PM
I think the SportsCar was in February or there abouts. It was in the "white" section in the middle where they talk about what had been voted on and rule changes for IT. Come 2007 5pts will not be allowed. The reason it is 2007 is so people who just bought belts (5pt) will need to replace by 2007 with 6pt.

On a side note, I thought all belts needed to be replaced in 2 years not five. I was at a tech day helping out a few weeks ago. Are there certain belts that give 5 years? The reason I ask is the 2007 cut off would have been 2009 if belts where good for 5 years?

Mike Guenther
05-06-2004, 05:01 PM
My mistake. There is another thread here somewhere that says the 5 point harness will be DQ'd in 07. The subject was so similar, and I had just read the other thread, and I got the two combined in my head.

But still, what is the significant difference?

spnkzss
05-06-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm thinking my future children will thank me http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Mike Guenther
05-06-2004, 05:53 PM
What a hoot! But it looks like both styles come up between your legs. Unless the 6 point spreads out on the way up to the lap belt, giving your johnson the the boys more room to play in the event of a sudden lunge forward.

spnkzss
05-07-2004, 09:13 AM
That's my understanding of how the 6pt works (it straddles). I don't know, it sounded logical http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by spnkzss (edited May 07, 2004).]

RSTPerformance
05-07-2004, 10:04 AM
I bought FIA belts because they would be good for 5 years, they are only 5 point, looks like I loose again... but maybe I should have seen that in the Fast track... This belt thing is crazy... SOOOOO many other things on our cars are more unsafe than the friggen belts I am using.

Why are they constantly making more and more restrictions on these belts??? Are people getting hurt??? I really would love to see a spreadsheet from SCCA with all accidents documented, injuries that were incured, and the cause of the injuries... I just (Thank God) don't see a lot of people getting hurt from a malfunctioning belt.

Raymond

Dave Burchfield
05-07-2004, 10:22 AM
It is my understanding that the 7 point system will be the recommended, and that current 5 point systems will be easily adapted to the 7 point with the addition of one additional belt that attaches with the current submarine belt.

This came from a Senior Tech that attended the session at the convention this year. Have heart, it may not be as bad as one might have thought!

db

spnkzss
05-07-2004, 10:22 AM
THis brings up another question then. During the tech day everyone was shocked to hear that belts where only good for 2 years. I almost think the rule chaged from 5 to 2. What am I missing, or can anyone confirm?

Motor City Hamilton
05-07-2004, 02:29 PM
GM Racing Development spoke at Waterford Hills Raceway a few weeks ago. They have crash tested lots of race car technology. The 5 point harness is likely to be ruled out in the near future. Six point moves the impact pressure to your upper leg and pelvis. Five point pulls directly on "the boys." Their crash test dummies can't seem to walk very well after a frontal impact. With six point they could at least stand up.

spnkzss
05-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Too bad for those test dummies using the 5pt setup. There never going to be able to have little dummies of there own http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

HBennett
06-07-2004, 04:27 PM
All harness sets with SFI manufacture date expires on 12/31 two years later. If you purchased a set of harnesses in January of this year, you will get 3 years of service (accident free, of course). If you purchase them now, you will get 2.5 years of service. If the harness set if FIA certified, the harness will not be eligible after 12/31 of the fifth year of the date stamped on the SFI tag unless the FIA tag has an earlier expiration date. In G-Force's case, 12/31/08.

That brings up another caveat. It has been recommended to the SCCA that 6 or 7 point harnesses are safer than 5. I have not seen that it is a rule yet, just recommended. If it does become mandated, the 5 point harness will expire 12/31/06. Doesn't matter if it is FIA or not.

The 5-point harnesses are not being cleared out. Racer Wholesale sells the 5-point cam-lock harnesses for about $110 every day.

Howard Bennett
Racer Wholesale

m glassburner
06-07-2004, 05:08 PM
I believe in 05 6 point will become the standard??? It was in fastrack ...not sure what month? mike g.

Jake
01-18-2005, 02:30 PM
So correct me if I’m wrong. If I buy new SFI belts, they’re no good in ’07 (2yr rule). If I buy the FIA 5-pt, they’re no good in ’07 (6-point only rule in ’07). It looks to me that this is the best deal in town:

http://www.saferacer.com/prose6pcahas.html

planet6racing
01-18-2005, 03:17 PM
The SCCA made a final decision that they WOULD NOT REQUIRE 6 or 7 point belts, only strongly recommend them.

So, FIA 5-pts should be good thru the full five years.

Also, if you purchase SFI belts now, they should be good until 08, so you should get 3 seasons out of them (05, 06, and 07).

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

88YB1
01-18-2005, 05:10 PM
open mouth insert foot

Wishing everyone a a safe and enjoyable season.
Chuck
ITA Fireo #34

[This message has been edited by 88YB1 (edited January 18, 2005).]

planet6racing
01-18-2005, 05:42 PM
OK, just so it is clear and to avoid any further confusion. 5-point harnesses are not being outlawed at this time. The BOD voted and in the December FasTrack, the following was issued regarding 5, 6, and 7-point harnesses:

December, 2004 FasTrack, page F-275

20. DRIVER'S RESTRAINT SYSTEM
All drivers in SCCA sanctioned speed events shall utilize either a five, six or seven point restraint harness meeting the following specifications. A seven-point restraint harness is recommended. Arm restraints are required on all open cars including open Targa tops, sunroofs and T-tops.
The restraint system installation is subject to approval of the Chief Technical and Safety Inspector. (Note: SFI requirements for Driver's Restraint System does not include arm restraints at this time. Window nets need not be dated.)
1. A five point system, for use in automobiles where the driver is seated in an upright position, consists of a three (3) inch seat belt, an approximately three (3)inch strap over the shoulder type of shoulder harness, and an approximately two (2) inch anti submarine strap. A Five-point
harness is considered a minimum restraint
system. Six or seven-point systems are
highly recommended in all cars including
automobiles where the driver is seated in
an upright position.

2. A six or seven point system, recommended
for use in all automobiles where the driver is seated in a semi-reclining position, consists of a three (3) inch seat belt or an FIA approved two (2) inch seat belt, approximately a three (3) inch strap over the shoulder type of shoulder harness, and two approximately two (2) inch leg or anti submarine straps. The seven point system also has an approximately two (2) inch anti-submarine strap.

3. The material of all straps shall be
Nylon or Dacron polyester and in new or
perfect condition. The buckles shall be of
metal to metal quick release type except in
the case of leg straps of the six point or
seven-point systems where they attach to
the seat belt or shoulder harness straps.

4 The shoulder harness shall be the
over the shoulder type. There shall be a
single release common to the seat belt and
shoulder harness. When mounting belts
and harnesses it is recommended that
they be kept as short as reasonably possible
to minimize stretch when loaded in an
accident.
The shoulder harness shall be mounted
behind the driver and supported above a
line drawn downward from the shoulder
point at an angle of twenty (20) degrees
with the horizontal. The seat itself, or anything added only to the seat shall not be
considered a suitable guide. Guides must
be a part of the roll cage or a part of the car structure.
Only separate shoulder straps are permitted.
("Y" type shoulder straps are not
allowed.) "H" type configuration is allowed.

5. The single anti submarine strap of the
five point system shall be attached to the
floor structure and have a metal to metal
connection with the single release common
to the seat belt and shoulder harness.

6. The double leg straps of the six point
or seven-point system may be attached to
the floor as above for the five point system
or be attached to the seat belt so that the
driver sits on them, passing them up
between his or her legs and attaching
either to the single release common to the
seat belt and shoulder harness or attaching
to the shoulder harness straps. It is
also permissible for the leg straps to be
secured at a point common to the seat belt
attachment to the structure, passing
under the driver and up between his or her
legs to the seat belt release or shoulder
harness straps.
All straps shall be free to run through
intermediate loops or clamps/buckles.

7. Each seat (lap) and shoulder belt of
the harness (5, 6, or 7 points) shall have
an individual mounting point (i.e. 2 for
seat belt and 2 for shoulder belt minimum).
Six or seven point system antisubmarine
straps may share a mounting
point with one or both seat (lap) belt(s).
The minimum acceptable bolts used in the
mounting of all belts and harnesses is SAE
Grade 5. Where possible, seat belt, shoulder
harness, and anti submarine strap(s)
should be mounted to the roll structure or
frame of the car. Where this is not possible,
large diameter mounting washers or
equivalent should be used to spread the
load. Bolting through aluminum floor
panels, etc., is not acceptable.

8. All driver restraint systems shall meet
one of the following: SFI specification 16.1, FIA specification 8853/1985 including
amendment 1/92 or FIA specifications
8853/98 and 8854/98.
A. Restraint systems meeting SFI 16.1
shall bear a dated 'SFI Spec 16.1' label.
The certification indicated by this label
shall expire on December 31st of the 2nd
year after the date of manufacture as indicated by the label.
B. Restraint systems complying with FIA
specification 8853/1985 including amendment
1/92 shall be no more than five (5)
years old. (Not all manufacturers are dating
every belt in a set. They may be dating
one of a pair of shoulder or lap belts or may only be dating one belt in an entire set.
Scrutineers are reminded that restraint systems need only one date label.)
C. Restraint systems homologated to FIA
specifications 8853/98 and 8854/98 will
not have a date of manufacture label.
Instead they will have a label containing the Manufacturer's Name, Type of Harness
Designation and Date of Expiration which is
the last day of the year marked. All straps
in this FIA restraint system will have these
labels. FIA restraint systems with the certification 'D ####.T/98' are equal to FIA specifications 8853/98 and 8854/98, and are therefore, acceptable restraint systems. FIA two-inch seat belts with the certification 8853/98 are acceptable restraint systems when used in conjunction with their corresponding FIA shoulder harness and antisubmarine straps.
D. If a restraint system has more than
one type of certification label, the label with the latest expiration may be used.
9. Harness Threading: Assemble in
accordance with manufacturers instructions.
10. FIA certified 2-inch shoulder harnesses
are allowed when the HANS device is used by the driver. Should the driver, at anytime not utilize the HANS device, then 3-inch shoulder harnesses are required.
The replacement cycle for the 2-inch harnesses shall be per GCR Section 20.8.

You can confirm this by reading the 2005 GCR online.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

[This message has been edited by planet6racing (edited January 18, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by planet6racing (edited January 18, 2005).]

apr67
01-18-2005, 05:47 PM
And the stewards think some of us don't read the rules http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif.

Jake
01-19-2005, 08:52 AM
So just to reiterate, assuming the belt has an '05 date:

GForce 5pt SFI latch and link, $59, good for 3yrs (05,06,07)

GForce 5pt FIA, camlock, $109, good for 5yrs (05, 06, 07, 08, 09)

GForce 6pt FIA, camlock, $149, good for 5yrs

HBennett
01-26-2005, 10:10 AM
No, of the current cam-lock harnesses offered by G-Force, only the 5-point pull-down harness (GF-C5000xx) are FIA approved. This FIA approval expires 12/31/08. Any other currently shipping G-Force harness is only SFI approved and expires 2 years from the date of manufacture punched into the SFI tags. If you purchased them this month, you can get virtually 3 years out of them (without them being used, if you know what I mean).

G-Force's new Pro-Series harnesses (polyester construction) should be available next month (February). I believe only the 6-point harness will be FIA approved as of now.

Howard Bennett
Racer Wholesale