PDA

View Full Version : New Belts for 2004

wayno
12-30-2003, 09:10 AM
Like a lot of others, I guess I'll be buying new belts for next year. Has anyone researched a "best buy"? I'm thinking of upgrading to cam-lock. Thanks.

------------------
Wayne Briggs
CenDiv
ITA Capri
Move...Lest Ye Rust!

924Guy
12-30-2003, 10:47 AM
RJS Racing in the Detroit area tends to be pretty inexpensive, not to mention the rewebbing thing - have to get mine rewebbed this year. Regardless of where you buy them, a comment from one of the HANS designers (always forget his name) who came and talked to the Detroit SCCA section on racecar safety - regarding camlocks vs the old mil-spec latch. They use the mil-spec latch in their crash tests (@ Wayne State), and have compared with the camlocks. The camlocks can bend pins after only a handful of impacts. By contrast, the mil-spec latch won't show any bending or damage until a point at which, well, if you'd driven through that many impacts, YOUR BODY should not be racing any more!! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

So, just something to consider before you get the admittedly more convenient camlocks...

------------------
Vaughan Scott
Detroit Region #280052
'79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
www.vaughanscott.com

joeg
12-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Interesting Vaughn.

I've never owned camlocks because L&L (s) are cheaper. I never thought that the L&L (s) are inconvenient. With the 2-year rule, this is even more important.

M&R is also a good source for belts and they re-web.

RacerBill
12-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Hi, Wayne

Try Racers Wholesale, or Jegs if you prefer to pay tax instead of shipping. They carry the GForce line.

Chris Eastwood
12-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Don't forget Bill Simpson's new company "impact"(Interesting name for a that company!). They will trade you belts, old ones for new ones.I think I could be wrong about this.

chuck baader
12-30-2003, 07:58 PM
I bought Bill Simpson's belts the beginning of this year, on his trade-in program. The nice thing is that he traded my old L/L for camlocks at a greatly reduced price from retail. I am very impressed with the belts as they have a lot of "character stitching" and seem to be somewhat stiffer than others. They do not tend to roll under my girth or over my sholders as others have. Don't think you can to wrong with them. Chuck

Quickshoe
12-30-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by 924Guy:
The camlocks can bend pins after only a handful of impacts.

An important point to consider...Don't reuse your belts after an impact. If the safety crew is on top of things they will cut them to protect you from yourself.

Crow also makes some competitively priced belts.

If you buy some cheaper belts take a good look at the mounting hardware. Make sure that the edges that the belt touch are smooth and inside corners are radiused.

Take the price of the FIA belts and divide by 5, take the SFI belts and divide by 2 (3 at best). You might find that certain FIA belts are more cost effective.