PDA

View Full Version : Kirkey Road race seats

Zneed4speed
08-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Anyone know how the "$699" Kirkey Road race seats differ from the "$299" ones I'm seeing advertised in Sportscar?
The pic looks the same as the $699 one.
Who has the best deal on either?

R.L.

ilateapex
08-05-2003, 03:54 PM
I have the $299 one and love it. I think I paid $265 or so from Behren's. The $699 one has a nicer cover, better construction, and some other stuff I did not think necessary. I called and talked to a tech at Kirkey and when I was asking about the seats the question of how fast I was planning on going was asked.

I added additional padding under the cover to give me support where I needed it. This made the seat fit very well.

Michael

ps Behrent's has it advertised in the June Sports car for $265.34

Bill Miller
08-05-2003, 06:18 PM
I know the higher-priced one has a lot of billet in it. I have not seen the economy road race seat. I bought one of the original 'high end' road race seats when they first came out. Paid <$600 for it.

It really is a work of art.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold)
SCCA 279608

x-ring
08-06-2003, 01:02 AM
One word: Ultrashield. You'll be glad you did.

BTW Bill, did you sell the high buck seat with the Rabbit or are you saving it for your next (prod?) endevor? Just curious.

Ty

Bill Miller
08-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Ty,

It's going in the new Prod car. I will have a standard (short track) Kirkey Intermediate seat w/ cover for sale soon though.

------------------
SCCA 279608

x-ring
08-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Oh, I was just curious. I knew you had sold your car and when I saw you had one of those deluxe seats, I thought 'If I had $600 in a seat, I'd have kept it'.

I'm a dedicated UltraShield user. They seem to fit my, admittedly outsized (6'04", 255lb), body well. Also, this spring at Second Creek (Denver), one of the guys that frequents the same race prep shop I do totaled his SM in a vicious, wheels dig in to the mud while car is going sideways at 90, multi rollover. He's also an UltraShield owner, and only ended up with one small strap bruise. The car was completely trashed, but the seat wasn't even bent. It made a believer out of me.

OK, plug over. Thread hijacking complete.

Ty

Zneed4speed
08-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Hey Ty,

To continue your plug, which ultra-shield do you use?

R.L.

I'm a dedicated UltraShield user. They seem to fit my, admittedly outsized (6'04", 255lb), body well. Also, this spring at Second Creek (Denver), one of the guys that frequents the same race prep shop I do totaled his SM in a vicious, wheels dig in to the mud while car is going sideways at 90, multi rollover. He's also an UltraShield owner, and only ended up with one small strap bruise. The car was completely trashed, but the seat wasn't even bent. It made a believer out of me.

OK, plug over. Thread hijacking complete.

Ty[/B]

x-ring
08-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Both I and the guy who balled up his Miata have the one that's around $275 or so. I think it's called the Pro Road Race Seat. They make another model that's constructed from aluminum that is half as thick, to save a few pounds, but I wanted the extra strength for my, uh, excessive bulk.

Mine is the 10 degree version. IIRC, the way it mounts in my car (280Z) is that the front bolts to a structrual beam about 2" square that runs side to side across the floor and the back mounts directly to the floor. In other words, the front is raised 2" higher than the rear giving some 'built-in' layback. You may want the 20 degree version if the mounting area in your car is flat. Mine is bolted directly to the car, for extra head room, but every other one I've seen is on slide rails. You can't reach the pedals in my car unless you're at least 6' tall.

I think they have another version for about $75 less called the Spec Miata Seat, but it lacks the shoulder support wings that I like. Maybe those wings interfere would with the side window in a Miata, if it had one. My friend's car had the door gutted for NASCAR bars; the pro seat fit fine.

The prep shop here is a dealer for Ultrashield and he usually has a few seats in stock. Loree Motorsports in Albuquerque at 505.344.9560, ask for Soren.

Ty

Bill Miller
08-11-2003, 10:00 PM
Looks like I'll be stuck w/ the short track seat for the Labor Day dbl. at Summit Point. I'll have to totally redo the mount to get the road race seat in. Oh well...

------------------
SCCA 279608

rage_racing
09-24-2003, 10:48 AM
quick seat question I have access to kirkey circle track seats what would be the draw back in using one of these in IT racing other than comfort?

planet6racing
09-24-2003, 12:01 PM
I choose my road race seat for the extra shoulder support. The circle track seat offers a lot more support around the rib cage.

It all comes down to personal preference. I really like my seat, but others that have sat in it did not. Whatever you do, be sure to sit in it for at least 15 minutes before making your decision!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com