PDA

View Full Version : Cool Shirt vs. Fresh Air System

Hammer
07-15-2003, 07:07 PM
I am thinking about buying a cooling system. Any opinions on which system is better, the Cool Shirt or the Fresh Air System. I think they are similar in price. Does anyone know of any deals on either system.

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited July 15, 2003).]

lateapex911
07-15-2003, 08:41 PM
A consideration to uh...consider...which one weighs more?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

944racer
07-17-2003, 07:32 AM
I was at Moroso last weekend with my GT1. Very hot. I use a helmet cooler. It worked when I was on the grid, but got hot as soon as I got on the track. I looked at the cool shirts and I will be getting one of those. I will still use the helmet cooler because I wear glasses and it keeps them from fogging when I close the face shield. The weight is only a couple of pounds, well worth it.
Also the helmet cooler uses cool air while the cool shirt uses cold water. The cool shirt stays colder for longer and you can get a regulator to adjust the amount of water going through the system. If I had to pick between the two I would pick the cool shirt.
Andy

Blix
07-17-2003, 10:46 AM
If you wear contacts, the fresh air systems can dry them out and make them very uncomfortable. Just a consideration

Eric
NER SM #02

nismoscca
07-17-2003, 10:23 PM
Hammer,
We carry both Cool Shirt (Formerly Chill Factor) and FAST systems. (Spam alert) Our website has the Cool Shirt info at www.discoveryparts.com (http://www.discoveryparts.com) and will soon have the FAST Line uploaded soon. I have used both systems personaly and each has some unique features. Many components are similar but the way they are used is a little different. Cost for the Club system (basically the shirt and 6 pack size cooler and a few little things is $389.99 from either manufacturer. For the Air and water systems (helmet & shirt with a 12 pack cooler) the cost is $899.99 Cool Shirt and $879.99 FAST. That is the delivered cost to the 48 states as any purchase over $88 has free shipping this month.
Quality on both systems is good and we have never had a return from either company. This is weird science stuff so we offer a 30 day love it or return it guarantee. What that means is buy it, try it for 30 days and if you do not like it send it back and we give you 100% of your $$ back. No questions asked. We sell many of each system and usually have a working display at the events we support in the S.E. If anyone has any questions give us a call and we will gladly answer any questions you may have. Hope this helps and stay safe.

------------------
[email protected]

fiestadude
08-19-2003, 11:50 AM
I did an enduro this weekend, and some sort of cooling system will be in my car for next season. I see the posts here, but am still a bit confused. The people I saw at the track had a system that had a control panel that adjusted the temp of the shirt, and a small 8-12 Qt. cooler. This is the model without the fresh-air helmet induction system.

Any users comments of either system? It was well over 130 in the car at Hallett last weekend, and I'm not as yuong as I used to be.

Thanks,

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

ilateapex
08-19-2003, 01:59 PM
You may want to try the NASCAR trick. Put a bag of ice under your suit and zip it up. I was having trouble with getting way too hot down at Barber and a friend of mine recommended it. I tried it and it worked great. During the Enduro pit stop I just changed bags. My girlfriend made a T-shirt with a big pocket in the center and it holds the ziplock full of ice so now it does not want to roll to the side. This along with a 3" duct stuck out the window and aimed at the back of my neck works great. I can get out of the car with little or no fatigue. At pit out I now see two or three other of my friends doing the same. It makes a big difference and is cheap.

Michael

fiestadude
08-19-2003, 04:48 PM
ilateapex:

Thanks for the idea. I use the ice thing right now, but it turns to luke warm water by the end of the race. I will try the t-shirt idea along with the ducting.

I had been trying to make my own cool shirt, but things are not working as well as planned. I just got so hot in that enduro last weekend, I feel like I need something to help me stay focused.

Thanks for the input guys.

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

OTLimit
08-20-2003, 09:53 AM
JJ,
Chris was at Hallett too, and didn't have anything nice to say about the weather.

He has been using a vest-type ice pack holder, but after most/all of the little sections in the frozen part get mashed/wear out/leak, it doesn't work so well. One of the cooler companies, it might be Igloo, sells their "blue ice" concept in a sectioned system, like to actually wrap around food in a cooler. I freeze those and put one or two flat over a t-shirt on his back and chest when he puts his suit on, and it works quite well, especially if they have been on dry ice right before he uses them. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

We looked at going a little higher tech, but this is CHEAP and minimal weight.

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

fiestadude
08-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Lesley,

Thanks for the info. I saw Chris there and we talked in impound for a while, but I think we both could tell that each of us were beat (from the heat), so we just did the weigh in and split.

I also spoke to a few people on the grid for the IT race on Sunday, and everyone who had sopme sort of cool-shirt or helmet cooler told me that it was the best $$$ they spent.

The guys who do not have them tell me I'm weak for needing a cooling system. I will admit that I cannot tollerate that temp for too long. I just think that I would be able to focus and concentrate better if I were cooler.

Does Chris use anything for cool air in his helmet?

That is really the worst part for me. I feel like my face is going to just explode right out of the front of my helment when I get done. I may look at something that will accomodate both; while keeping an eye on the wieght.

My car is such a pig, I truly do not think I will ever get down to the minimum weight. I'm nearly 200 over right now, and the only thing that would total 200 lbs. of weight in the car is about 1/4 of the car itself, so I may just have to deal.

Thanks for the info though. It will be used this off season.

Thanks,

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

BMW RACER
08-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Hey Mister Fiesta (Anyone who races a Ford can't be all bad) When you mentioned your face, I was curious, do you wear a full face with the visor down?? If so I learned a while back that I like the cool air on my face and wear a semi full face helmet, Bell SR pro or lately a Bieffe Integerale. That helps alot with the comfort level.
Just a thought.

OTLimit
08-21-2003, 02:30 PM
JJ,
He doesn't use anything in his helmet, but he runs with the face shield UP. Yeah, I know, but if he ran it down, I'm sure we would be doing something for airflow. That's one of the reasons he bought the helmet he's got when he upgraded (which he still doesn't like as much as the old now illegal one).

You fools were out there flirting with heat stroke while I sat at home with 7 week old puppies in the air conditioning. Ha!

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

fiestadude
08-22-2003, 10:03 AM
BMW RACER:

I use a full-face with the shield up. I don't think I could use anything else, for safety reasons. I think when the new SNELL cert comes out, I will purchase a ram-air style of helment, and use a cooler for air flow. Thanks for the idea though.

Lesley:

I agree, Mark (my co-driver #26 Fiesta) is the only fool out there who loves this stuff. If it is not 100 + he is not happy.

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

Allen Brown
09-09-2003, 02:13 PM
I think the flexible freezer packs just may work. I know it's not as good as the properly engineered suits, but for the cost, it may be hard to beat.

When the temp is around the 90 deg F, and I'm running our 2 hour enduros, I feel pretty beat at the end. I currently run with a 4" vent pulling air in from passenger window blowing air at my chest. When I installed the vent, it made a huge difference on how fatigued I felt at the end of the two hour race.

lateapex911
09-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Are any of you guys drinking during the enduros?? I rigged a bottle with a tube and, although it was some work to suck a 5 foot straw, it helped. I did the 3 hour, and at my just over half way fuel stop, we refilled the bottle. Next year I will hook up a washer motor probably.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Blix
09-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Hmmm...washer motor, great idea. Anyone have any idea what car has the lightest washer motor in the world?

Jake, if you can stand it, try drinking PediaLyte. The trainers from a bunch of NHL and AHL teams told me that's how they rehydrate players when they need to (the goalies will lose like 8 lbs a game and sometimes play three days in a row in the AHL), because it has some vitamins and stuff that you sweat out really easily that Gatorade et al. don't have. But the taste is kinda gross.

Eric
NER SM #02

Bruce
09-19-2003, 11:17 PM
I came up with a variation of the ice packs in the suit. I took shop towels and soaked them in water, put towel in zip lock bag freeze three or four and put them in cooler. before tightening belts, I slip one or two cold packs in my driver's suit and zip up.
In Florida during the summer the pack was still cool after 45 min. Very cheep.

dspillrat
09-20-2003, 06:39 AM
Hammer,
Installed cool suit at Road Atlanta this past Labor day event...Worked extremely well...switched on/off recirculating pump every lap or two to avoid being uncomfortably cold.... yea I know,"its only 30-45 min." but made huge difference in what I concntrated on while on the track...for the price of 2 tires?...and It'll last more then 6-8 heat cycles. May keep your eyes open as the weather cools,maybe the price will inch down a little as fall approaches

David

[quote]Originally posted by Hammer:
[B]I am thinking about buying a cooling system. Any opinions on which system is better, the Cool Shirt or the Fresh Air System. I think they are similar in price. Does anyone know of any deals on either system.