PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to paint car?

Lee
08-04-2003, 10:42 AM
I need to paint my car and want some ideas on the most economical way to do it. Maaco wants $380 +, what happened to the $149 special. Anyone ever use a roller?

joeg
08-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Don't you have an Earl Schieb franchise in your vicinity?

I never associate MAACO with cheap painting; just cheap body work.

itbgti
08-04-2003, 12:31 PM
Go back to the Maaco...Talk to the manager/owner...Tell them you will bring the car fully prepped, stripped of all lights, moldings, etc, choose one of their basic colors, not a custom one, NO clear coat, and it should come in under $200. I had mine done for $450, but he had to run it through twice due to my car having two colors. With this car, the 50/50 rule applies (50 mph at 50 feet)...my first car needed a 150/150.

C. Ludwig
08-04-2003, 04:50 PM
I got the $149 Maaco job and didn't have to prep anything. But be warned they shoot it on as it is. They'll just tack it off and shoot it. They wanted to sell me a bunch of extras and it took some explaining that "this is a race car and if it still has fenders on it this time next year I'llbe happy". The job was far from flawless but a year later it still looks good at 20/20.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Scott Nutter
08-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Depending on the quality you want, you could do it yourself. A local auto parts store, you know the greasy kind where the person behind the counter knows a thing or two about cars, has an ongoing special of primer, paint, reducer, and hardner for $100. An with that you'll have paint for those unwanted touch-up jobs, or if you happen to have some spare body panels lying around.

BTW I could go 50/50 in the rain but other wise it's definetly 150/150 and the problem is my car can't get anywhere near 150Mph!

Eagle7
08-04-2003, 10:40 PM
I did it myself, and would probably do it again, but figure out how to manage the overspray. A cloud spread throughout the garage, and EVERYTHING had a layer of red dust on it when I was done. And MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD RESPIRATOR. Some of the paints these days are quite toxic.

Oh, and please don't look too close.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR

itbgti
08-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Chris,

You are right that you do not have to prep anything, and they definetly shoot it as is...however, Maaco (believe it or not) does an INCREDIBLE paint job, it is just that their prep work sucks (yes, I know that their paint jobs are not anything close to show quality, but they are damn good for the money). This is why I say prep the car yourself, it will come out 100x better than no prep...all they consider "prep" is running a scuff pad over the entire car.

I have painted a bunch of cars/trucks, and it is much easier to let someone else do it. If the cost was substantially different, I would take care of it myself, but when the paint and other materials would cost me $80-$100, and Maaco is $150-$200, AND I know they would do a better job than I could (just them baking it on in that oven is worth it), no brainer in my eyes.

Just my 2 cents.

Jake
08-05-2003, 10:00 AM
You wanna know the CHEAPEST way? 10 cans of Krylon paint from Walmart on my car. Looks great from a distance!

http://mywpages.comcast.net/fishja/Vehicle%20Mods_files/build8.jpeg

Dick Elliott
08-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Two cheap ways are to go to your paint store and buy what they have already mixed for someone who didn't pick it up, or do like Circle Track Mag said and go to Lowels and get their house paint in any color you want.House paints have changed a lot due to the EPA rules and now work on many things.

Scott Nutter
08-06-2003, 04:44 PM
If you really want cheap, get yourself a quart or two of rustoleum and some mineral spirts. Doesn't look too bad. ~$10-$15, cheaper than the Krylon spray cans!

Bill Miller
08-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Did mine myself. Two coats of primer, two coats of color, and three coats of clear. I think I had $150 - $175 into the whole thing.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold)
SCCA 279608