PDA

View Full Version : Canopies

BrianB
05-02-2003, 09:43 PM
I noticed that Pepboys is selling a 10x20 canopy for $120. It has 3 "gable" sections with a fitted white tarp top.The 6 legs have feet and hold down stakes. Looks pretty good in the ad.The price is right!
Has anyone had any experience with these?
Thanks,Brian

pgipson
05-04-2003, 12:56 AM
I will never buy another canopy without touching it first. Even the EZ-Up I have now is not something I am totally happy with. I am looking at a 10 X 10 EZ-Up at Sam's Club for $190. Selection criteria include true one person setup and takedown, some basic stability in medium wind conditions, cheap enough so I won't cuss all the way home when it does get hit by a 50 knot blast while I am on track, and some reasonable way to add tie down weights without distorting the frame.

Most of the el cheapo canopies that I see wouldn't make it through a typical spring wind storm in the desert, and you can't drive stakes into the asphalt at PIR.

JIgou
05-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by BrianB:
I noticed that Pepboys is selling a 10x20 canopy for $120. It has 3 "gable" sections with a fitted white tarp top.The 6 legs have feet and hold down stakes. Looks pretty good in the ad.The price is right!
Has anyone had any experience with these?
Thanks,Brian

Saw a very similar one (maybe same thing??) at Menard's last week. $129 was the price, I believe.

I bought the Harbor Freight one mentioned a month or two ago. Decent enough for the price....

Jarrod

fiestadude
05-05-2003, 11:50 AM
As far as canopies go, I will swear by Holiday Canopies. My team-mate and I purchased a 20x20 that you use EMT conduit with. Easy to put up, except at HPT with all the wind, but reasonably priced as well.

I think after you buy the EMT, you are looking at under $300 for a complete 20x20 set-up.

Not sure how much a 10x20 or a 10x10 is.

See a picture on my homepage, ist picture on page.

http://home.swbell.net/jjenk/

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

Eagle7
05-05-2003, 11:26 PM
What do you use for feet on the EMT?

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7
CenDiv WMR

fiestadude
05-06-2003, 09:59 AM
The kit from Holiday comes with all the EMT conections, tons of canopy bungies, the canopy, and feet for the legs.

I swear I an not a rep for Holiday, but their product is one of the best I have seen/used.

Hope this helps.

------------------
JJ
#62 ITC

sgallimo
05-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Hey, do those white canopies provide UV protection?

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

Rick Phelps
05-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by sgallimo:
Hey, do those white canopies provide UV protection?

Scott, I would think that being reflective , they would reflect or deflect most of the Spectrum. You get a lot of UV protection from wearing a white Tee shirt for example.

sgallimo
05-07-2003, 10:53 AM
true but I've also received a nice burn thru a white shirt while working a corner - course that could have been a result of the weave of the material...

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

Scott Nutter
05-31-2003, 03:08 PM
Another drizzly weekend in NE Ohio and this is my nephews high school graduation party. I happend to be looking thru the K-Mart AD and noticed a 12x20 (14x20 at the base) canopy with three sides for $179. Some quick calculations in my head, some hand rubbing, and I mention it to my financial advisor (uh-hum wife) and with my son graduating next year, how can I go wrong! We simply can't live without it! Besides the fact that it does not come out of the racing budget.

Anyhow, it seems like a nice unit. 2" legs with plastic feet. I am not sure if it could be a one man setup or not, but that is usually not a problem for me http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

13GT3
06-07-2003, 11:10 AM
Scott
I have a 12 X 20 (Holiday) that I have only used a couple of times since i got the enclosed trailer. If you haven't done the K-Mart thing yet, give me a call. I'll make you a good deal.

Eric Hiltner
(330) 494-1491

Originally posted by Scott Nutter:
Another drizzly weekend in NE Ohio and this is my nephews high school graduation party. I happend to be looking thru the K-Mart AD and noticed a 12x20 (14x20 at the base) canopy with three sides for $179. Some quick calculations in my head, some hand rubbing, and I mention it to my financial advisor (uh-hum wife) and with my son graduating next year, how can I go wrong! We simply can't live without it! Besides the fact that it does not come out of the racing budget.

Anyhow, it seems like a nice unit. 2" legs with plastic feet. I am not sure if it could be a one man setup or not, but that is usually not a problem for me http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

evanwebb
06-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Hey, for all of you on the fence about buying a canopy: get one, the biggest you can deal with. It's the biggest improvement in comfort I've done for a race weekend. I got a 12 x 20 that I think I ordered from one of the vendors in the back of Sports Car, it's the very heavy duty silver tarp, better material, I think, than the EZ-Ups. It uses the EMT conduit and the whole deal cost about $200. Also, the conduit type canopies seem to do a much better job of not collapsing under heavy rain...

For feet try this: get the next size higher conduit, cut six sections about 18" long and weld each one perpendicularly onto a square of 1/8" steel plate. Match drill the bottoms of your canopy "legs" and put a nut and bolt through it and voila! you have feet that won't sink into the mud and have some weight to them. We also put the feet through the middle of extra wheels/tires we have with us at the paddock to help hold the canopy down...