PDA

View Full Version : The return of the $199 Aluminum Floor Jack

rlekun
02-27-2003, 07:06 AM
Okay, just got the new Harbor Freight flyer and its back on the front cover. Haven't called yet to see if they actually have them to ship this time. Did anyone actually get one, and are they any good? Says made by US General (probably made in China). 3000# capacity, 6 pumps to 17.5 inch lift. The front roller design looks like it would provide a lower profile. Thoughts?

joeg
02-27-2003, 09:22 AM
Lots of racers buy these--including oval trackers.

I haven't heard of any big reliability issues and they are light.

Actually, the price of aluminum jacks have generally come down quite a bit, but the HF model takes the cake.

x-ring
02-27-2003, 09:36 AM
I played with one at their store, it seemed OK for whatever that's worth.

I don't think it's substantially different than the one I saw in the last Griot's Garage catalog and he wants $600.00 for his. People in Hell want icewater too.

Chris Wire
02-27-2003, 04:29 PM
I got one for Christmas and I like it. Compared to the Longacre units I keep in stock it suffers a little bit. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif However, the wife likes the price tag of this one a LOT better! (and she was buying!)

Some nice features, roller bearing where the handle pushes the plunger, quick-release 2 pc. handle, silver finish. Looks like some of the pieces are cast, so that may account for the price diff. I won't use it in the garage, it's a race-only unit for me, so I can't comment on how well it works. Someone else on this board has already broken the pad, so it seems imperative that the load be placed directly on the center of the pad.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

Speed Raycer
02-27-2003, 05:19 PM
I like mine... very light and I have used it around the garage (main one has a leakdown problem). The only issue I've noticed is that the front roller is made out of alum. as well which tends to get chewed up on rough surfaces.

The 4000# one is pretty attractive too.

------------------
Scott
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it
http://home.swbell.net/srhea66/AllThreeProjectsRealSmall.jpg (http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/radrodder)
http://home.swbell.net/srhea66/PFMSigPic.jpg (http://www.pfmracing.com) http://home.swbell.net/srhea66/replica2small.jpg
E-mail me for deals on
Lightweight Replica Blocks!

Richy Gonzalez
02-27-2003, 05:26 PM
My brother and I got the same jack for x-mas. We used his at the Roebling school. From the experience, it was simply awesome. No problems jacking the car up from any point but we made sure that we used a board under the jack (not directly on the dirt). Also, since it's lower construction, I don't need to drive the car on ramps before jacking.

...and on a side note, the guys from OPM also had several of them at the track http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/cool.gif

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
GB Racing - #24 ITA CRX (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah/projectitacrx.msnw)
Racecar Sponsor: LAMIN-X Protective Films (http://www.lamin-x.com)

pgipson
02-27-2003, 10:48 PM
I ordered one through the web site, and waited and waited and waited. Checked my credit card online and after 3 weeks it had not been billed. By that time, the price went from 199 to 179 (grrr). So I emailed and said ship at the new price or cancel. Very nicely (and quickly) they canceled the order.

Went down to the local HF store where the had one of the 4K models and a floor full of the 3K's (all silver). Took it home for 199 + gov't vigorish.

Set it up and it took 19 pumps to go from full down to full up. Serviced it with kack oil, installed the full time bleeder vavlve and it seems to work ok.

Gonna put new race tires on the Mazda tomorrow morning and go racing this weekend, next weekend and the one after that (missed last weekend) so we'll see how it does.

Fleetcare
03-01-2003, 09:18 PM
I changed teh fluid on mine.. I dont trust cheap products fluids... Why.. because they are cheap...

So With new $20 fluid its now 5 pumps to top and its AWESOME!!

Just make sure you bleed it prperly!

Tom Blaney
03-02-2003, 09:38 AM
What fluid did you use?

steve s
03-02-2003, 10:06 AM
i love my jack the only problem is now they come in different colors.red blue ,yellow. i should have waited??? na.

------------------
steve saney
it-7 /it-a #34

lateapex911
03-02-2003, 11:01 PM
I ordered mine and FINALLY got it. They, for some reason, sent it via USPS, and of course, my good for nothing, nearsighted and lazy mailman determined it ws too heavy and never delivered it. After weeks of waiting I finally WENT to the station and viola! There it is!

Two or three pumps right out of the box. Well worth it!

A side note: This unit matches the $600 Griots garage version spec for spec, once you convert between standard and metric dimensions.

Which makes it even juicier!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

apr67
03-03-2003, 01:48 AM
The only negative I can say about this thing is that it is cast, as upposed to cnc'd billet. I'm sure that makes them somewhat weaker than a $600 one.

I had jacked my race car on a slightly uneven surface and it bent ( the side plates). I managed to take it apart and beat them straight again. So be very careful about using it on a flat surface, and make sure the jack doesn't bind.

I'm quite happy with it, right now it is the only jack I have.

Alan

Festus E. Simkins
03-03-2003, 11:34 AM
I live in Jackson, MS. This weekend the Harbor Freight store had the jacks on sale for $150 only color silver. Almost bought one. They must have had a couple hundred in stock.

Drive well.

Pat
03-03-2003, 09:15 PM
My local Autozone has a similar, if not identical, jack for $150.

moto62
03-04-2003, 03:07 AM
The AZ aluminum jack is actually about 10 lbs heavier than the HF deal. Still pretty light. Not quite the same design. The AZ jack looks similar to a normal garage type jack w/ 4 casters instead of the single front one and the min height is about 1/2 in higher than the HF jack, but for $147.99, WHAT A DEAL!! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
Ray Lee Chee
[email protected]
Stamford,Ct

Quickshoe
03-05-2003, 03:18 AM
The HF job is on the cover of the flyer in today's mail. $179.99

RacinRich
03-14-2003, 02:22 PM
Hey you Michiganders...Harbor Freight is opening a store in Flint near the airport next week. The aluminum jack is at a "grand opening special" of 169.99 thru 4/7/03.

pgipson
03-15-2003, 02:05 AM
I have now used my brand (and incredibly light) HF jack on 2 weekends and a 1/2 dozen or so tire changes. I like the light weight and 3 in height in the down position.

I don't like the fact that it is almost impossible to get the car balanced on the jack. With any of my shop jacks, even the trolley style, there is no problem lifting the car. The HF just does not seem to balance the car well (Spec RX7). Especially if I use a shop jack in the back and the HF in the front, it skews the car off to one side and it is almost impossible to work with the jack.

So, it works of at the track for tires (one side or one end at a time) but around the garage, I'll stick with my big jacks.

Unless someone has some ideas?

Wayne
03-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by pgipson:
I don't like the fact that it is almost impossible to get the car balanced on the jack.
That's interesting pgipson. I have an hf jack out in the shop but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Is the saddle twisting on the jack arm, allowing the car to tilt?

Wayne

pgipson
03-18-2003, 12:26 AM
>>Is the saddle twisting on the jack arm, allowing the car to tilt?<<

At first i thought the pad might be loose (although I had checked everything for security before using it) but that wasn't the case. I suppose the frame could be flexing (the thought of that sorta scares me!!!), or maybe the jack arm (hmmmm!!!!).

I plan to put it back in the air this week (need new pads and an oil change before our next race -- ahh the work is never done). I'll be watching to see what does happen, if I can tell.

x-ring
03-19-2003, 09:34 AM
The new HF flyer came today. It's on the cover again, this time at $169.99

The price on this thing is dropping so fast I think I'll wait a while and see where it ends up.

Ty

pgipson
03-22-2003, 04:45 PM
I put the front of the Mazda back on the HF jack this morning to see what was happening and why the position of the car would shift when I raised the back. It looks to me like the pad is tilting when the back of the car is raised. So instead of the pad staying parallel to the jack, it moved to an angle. Not much, but enough so that the car balance changed a bit and the car titlted on the jack about 5 or 10 degrees to the left (this time).

I'll still use it at the track as you would normally only do one side a ta time anyway. But around the shop, it won't be my first choice. I am concerned how that sort of loading may affect the structural integrity of the jack.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I haven't tried a side to side lift yet, just front and back.

C. Ludwig
03-24-2003, 07:59 PM
I bought one the other day for $169. They were almost insistant that I buy the extended service plan. Basically telling me the jack would not last more than one year. Guy said the pump will give out. Service plan was $20 for 1 year or like $30 for two or something. I passed. Always do on the extended deals. Nice to know they have the utmost confidence in their products!

As an aside it's my opinion and that of alot of experienced racers that I've talked to that these jacks are not for everyday use. Use the big steel on for that and leave these things for using half a dozen times on the weekends at the track.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

BobbieMcGee
03-27-2003, 11:33 PM
New flyer in Orl Slantinel..jack is on sale for $169.00!! in stock at stores..have one in Casselberry..sez store only special until 4/7/03

Pete P
03-28-2003, 11:44 AM
Hate to rain on a parade but has anyone noticed that the 2-1/4 ton floor jack from Sears is only $40 ($36 on sale last week) and weighs less than the aluminum one from harbor freight?

I think the lift height might not be as high, but for changing tires it's fine...

Just my 2c...

Chris Wire
03-28-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Pete P:
Hate to rain on a parade but has anyone noticed that the 2-1/4 ton floor jack from Sears is only $40 ($36 on sale last week) and weighs less than the aluminum one from harbor freight?

I think the lift height might not be as high, but for changing tires it's fine...

Pete,

The HF jack has a far quicker pump than any Sears jack. I have the 2.25 and 3 ton Sears jacks which are fine for around the garage, but I got a HF jack for the pits because the Sears jack takes an eternity to get where it's going.

Plus, the days of me loading that 3 ton jack on the trailer are over! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

erlrich
03-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Pete P:

Just my 2c...

Pete - I think the issue with the Sears (and most other) jack is not the max lifting height, but the minimum height. Most of these jacks start at 5" - 5 1/2", which won't allow it to get under a lot of IT cars.

------------------
Earl
ITA 240SX in process

Pete P
03-31-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks Earl,

That's why I read these forums - to learn something I otherwise would have found out "the hard way"!

erlrich
06-03-2003, 03:54 PM
For the procrastinators among us (yes, my hand is up) HF has these jacks for $150 now!

------------------
Earl R.
ITA 240SX in process

x-ring
06-03-2003, 11:22 PM
It's getting pretty close to my threshold point now. If I have to lift that old jack of mine into the truck one more time it may just push me over the edge.

Ty

planet6racing
06-04-2003, 09:16 AM
Store or Catalog?

------------------
Bill
92 Saturn SL2 (SCCA ITA)
93 Saturn SL2 (Daily driver/backup car)
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

JIgou
06-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Online in silver.

Was still 169.99 at the store last week when I was there....but may have changed, as prices tend to do there....

Jarrod

erlrich
06-04-2003, 10:29 AM
I saw it online, but I then spoke with someone at the store in Richmond who told me if I printed the internet ad and brought it with me the store would honor the price. Also, they still had it listed at $169.99.

------------------
Earl R.
ITA 240SX in process

BUMPnGO
06-04-2003, 02:16 PM
Hey! My Procrasination paid off AGAIN. Jack is 149.99!! see website