PDA

View Full Version : Cheap tools

outlawz7469
05-04-2003, 12:47 AM
Hi i was wondering if its worth getting the cheap tools I see them at murry's discount auto and the 2'1/2 ton jack at lowes are these worth buying I mean I know there not craftsman but are they worth it?

pgipson
05-04-2003, 01:00 AM
In my view it depends on what the tool is. I buy stuff from Harbor Freight, but I know it won't be used everyday. For shop jacks I use craftsman. There are two things that I don't buy cheap, hand tools or anything that has to hold something up if I am under the something.

Although there are people that think Craftsman tools are cheap, I am not one of them.

apr67
05-04-2003, 12:04 PM
I agree and disagree with the above poster.

I would buy cheap jacks, but I use jack stands if I am under the car. It is bad to do otherwise.

I never buy cheap wrenchs or sockets as my main line tools. On the other hand I do buy cheap wrench, socket and other hand tool sets for my 'junkyard tools'.

In racing we end up needing a lot of spares. Everyone thinks about spare motors, transmissions, and such. But you also need spare tools. If just about every nut on your car is a 15mm, then having only one 15mm wrench would be a bad idea. Two or three would be MUCH BETTER!

alan

924Guy
05-05-2003, 09:38 AM
I would never buy cheap tools for a) doing work I need done right, or B) that I plan to use more than once. I do like the idea though of having them as junkyard tools. Having used even the fancy Snap-Ons at work, I know that Craftsman is good enough for me... the quality is as apparent as an open-end wrench that holds its size with plenty of torque on it, vs a cheap POS that bends open and slips off, stripping the nut.

Pay the money up front, having good tools to use when working on your car will prevent working on your car from becoming a chore and a dreaded task. You know when you put that wrench on the bolt that it's gonna turn, not pop off, strip the head, and smash your knuckles.

------------------
Vaughan Scott
'79 924 #77 ITA
Plymouth, MI
www.vaughanscott.com

LOBSTA1
05-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Thrre thing my Granpa and Dad have taught me big a bigger house than you need (ie 3 car garage) bigger tool box, and buy quality tools and always have a couple spares for the one u use all the time. I have been in the automotive industry for 22 years and started out with craftsman tools and still have them sure I have Mac Snap-on, and Matco also some brands that u cant get anymore...