PDA

View Full Version : G Meters

Joe Craven
11-26-2002, 09:27 PM
Has anyone successfully used G-Tech type meters? I'm interested in knowing the kind of G forces and HP numbers I can generate.

http://www.gtechpro.com/products.html

Scott Malbon
11-30-2002, 07:34 PM
I could never get consistent readings. I'll sell you mine for $50.

Scott

SilverHorseRacing
11-30-2002, 11:48 PM
I have one, and it is very accurate. The key I found was proper mounting. We tested it in my brother's low 13 second street car, and it was accurate to within a tenth. Since the time accuracy was there, I believe the Hp #'s it posted, so long as you have an accurate weight on the car in question.

HTH.

BTW, selling mine on Ebay to get a data acquisition for the next car...

------------------
-Marcello Canitano
www.SilverHorseRacing.com

Bill Miller
12-01-2002, 02:13 AM
Somewhat off topic, and I'll apologize in advance for hijacking the thread. But, I've always wondered why the G-analyst (from Valentine Research) never took off. I've actually got one of these things, w/ the books on how to use it, and it does work. I always found the recording capacity to be to small. And, I doubt I could get a laptop to live in a race car (not to mention that I don't have the interface/software for it, but I believe you can still get them). I do remember seeing G-analyst printouts published in SportsCar years ago. Anyone?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Rex B
12-12-2002, 01:06 AM
Bill
I too have a G-analyst. I'm experimenting with it. Currently mounted on the dash, with the camcorder pointed at it. The idea is to see G-readings concurrent with track position. Having trouble seeing the readout due to the difference in brightness between the windshield and the dash.
Anyway, I have the original DOS-based diskette. If you would like a copy, email me at [email protected] and I will send you a Zipped file.

95M3Racer
12-12-2002, 03:57 AM
Our formula sae will soon have a G-cube system for sale. It'll be cheap, so let me know if you want it.

Oh yea, brand new, never used.

[This message has been edited by 95M3Racer (edited December 12, 2002).]

Bill Miller
12-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Rex,

I'd love a copy of it, but I think you need the interface cable. I don't think it's a standard dp25 serial cable. I seem to remember when I spoke w/ someone at Valentine a couple of years ago that they had certain pins swapped.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Tom Blaney
12-12-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Rex B:
Bill
I too have a G-analyst. I'm experimenting with it. Currently mounted on the dash, with the camcorder pointed at it. The idea is to see G-readings concurrent with track position. Having trouble seeing the readout due to the difference in brightness between the windshield and the dash.
Anyway, I have the original DOS-based diskette. If you would like a copy, email me at [email protected] and I will send you a Zipped file.

I also had a G-analyst, that I had mounted in an SSA car for 2 years. It was a great tool, and I learned a lot from it. I had it hooked up to an old AST laptop (128K ram. 2gig drive hu-hu-hu manly laptop) using the interface cable. I wrapped the laptop in two layers of foam, and put it on the floor behind the passanger seat. Limited storage, but you learned to live with it. I'd copy the file to a floppy between runs. Really helped to make you drive smoothly..

Bill Miller
12-12-2002, 03:04 PM
Tom,

That's what I was thinking. I've got a couple of old laptops (ones a 286! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/eek.gif ) that I've been holding onto just for this purpose. I kept the 286 because I figured I wouldn't care if anything ever happened to it. I've also got an old Pentium that I could use as well. Do you know if you can use any interface cable, or if you have to use the one from VR? I wonder what it would take to figure out the pin assignment?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Tom Blaney
12-12-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
Tom,

That's what I was thinking. I've got a couple of old laptops (ones a 286! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/eek.gif ) that I've been holding onto just for this purpose. I kept the 286 because I figured I wouldn't care if anything ever happened to it. I've also got an old Pentium that I could use as well. Do you know if you can use any interface cable, or if you have to use the one from VR? I wonder what it would take to figure out the pin assignment?

Unfortunatly it is an odd pin-out. I don't have the pin configuration or cable anymore, but if you have the cable, it's a simple matter to map the crossover with a multi-meter. If I'm not mistaken, there were not combined pins (like old 6-8-20 in serial)

There is a little buzz on the web if you plug in G-analyst cable in google

Bill Miller
12-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Thanks Tom, I'll check it out. I wonder if they'd sell just the cable?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Eric Parham
01-17-2003, 05:34 PM
I've had one for 15 yrs now, never could get the camcorder to pick it up except on the darkest days... Back then, couldn't risk a laptop in the racecar (you know, never "race" what you can't afford to lose). I guess the economics have changed enough to give it a new try http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Quickshoe
01-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Joe,

Had one for a little while, gave it to my dad so he could play with it. C5 Corvette running 11's.

As for the HP numbers, they will do you absolutely zero good on the track. All the calculations for acceleration fore/aft require a complete standing start/full stop for braking measurements.

Not sure about the sampling rate on the corners? Lets just say below 1.0g is too slow and over 1.3 on a flat corner is probably un-reachable on DOT-R tires.

--Daryl DeArman

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited January 17, 2003).]

Jake
01-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Get the extreme geez software. You can use a Palm Pilot for data aquisition.

http://www.extremegeez.com

pgipson
02-15-2003, 02:59 AM
95M3racer had a g-cube that was going to be surplus form an SAE project. Is that still available?

Rex B
02-20-2003, 12:31 AM
If anyone wants a G-analyst, I have one with all the cables ond docs, original box.
I'll take $150 plus shipping for it.

[email protected]