PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pyrometer

wayno
02-09-2003, 10:37 AM
The kids want to buy me a tire pyrometer for my birthday. I've never owned one. Any suggestions about type or source? About $100. Thanks.

------------------
Wayne Briggs
CenDiv
ITA Capri
Move...Lest Ye Rust!

C. Ludwig
02-09-2003, 11:12 AM
If you want one of the infrared deals...Sears. Cheapest I found. Same as the ones from Longacre or the like.

Chris

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

lateapex911
02-09-2003, 12:20 PM
I would stay away from the IR type for tire use. They measure the surface temp of the item in the sight, which is great for track or brake or exhaust temps, but not proper for tires, where the temps you are concerned with are below the surface, more in the carcass of the tire.

A probe style unit is your best bet for your first, most useful pyrometer. Save the IR unit for later. (Although it's flashier!)

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Pat
02-09-2003, 12:27 PM
For tires, you need to get below the surface of the tire. The infrared type can't do it, get a probe. I'm on my third probe. The tip pulled out of the first two. Buy Longacre. All were around $100.

Bill Miller
02-09-2003, 01:15 PM
I'll chime in on the probe vs. IR for tires. I've got a RebCo. It was a gift from a friend that I used to crew for. When he got rid of his short-track car, he had some extra stuff that he didn't need anymore.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

machschnell
02-10-2003, 12:41 PM
I asked for a probe type for xmas, but didn't get it.

FYI, Radio shack has a generic IR type pyrometer on sale for $30 (from $50), might just get it for the car and around the house use, until I can afford a nice probe type.

PJ

ilateapex
02-10-2003, 01:43 PM
I have never used a pyrometer but I ran accross a prob thermometer at Sears, Sears Item #03482392000 Someone in the know take a look at Sears.com goto tools and electrical stuff. Will this work for tire temps?

Michael

Tom Blaney
02-10-2003, 08:43 PM
I don't think that beauty will work, the tip on a good temp guage is a needle tip, that gets into the tread at least 1/4" to 1/2" without any damage, That unit would require that you put some pretty heavy pressure on it to get to the chords, with resulting trama to the tire.

Unfortunatly this is one of the tuning items you have to bite the bullet on and buy a good one. Junk is junk and cheap is cheap, a good unit will outlast most of your IT cars.

wayno
02-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the input. Looks like the best deal so far is a Longacre probe type at Racer Wholesale for $95. (#LAR-50630)

------------------
Wayne Briggs
CenDiv
ITA Capri
Move...Lest Ye Rust!