PDA

View Full Version : Cheap E36 Forsale?

racer-025
01-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Just received Feburary's SportsCar and noticed that Bimmerworld is selling their new ITS E36 for $45,000. I really don't understand why some people throw that much $$$ to be a big fish in a little pond. Just had to put it into the "Bargain Shopper" forum because that's a great deal. I wonder what it took to build it? Yeah, yeah, I saw the thing win the ARRC. It just goes to show that there will always be someone with a bigger stick.

vehdyn
01-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Its on their website. Its a great car. That said, the BMW that won the USTCC is for sale too for 24k. Not too shabby.

JohnW
01-25-2003, 11:05 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I really don't understand why some people throw that much $$$ to be a big fish in a little pond..... It just goes to show that there will always be someone with a bigger stick.</font>[/b]

Dude, what is your problem?????

I'm glad there are shops like Bimmerworld where I can drop 25-40K on a new turn-key race car if I want! James is a nice guy that builds top quality cars, no half assed, Home Depot built, rusty POS's that we see every weekend.

Why do you have such a issue with 45K???? Sounds like a 'retail price' on a top ITS car to me. I'm sure he has much more time and money in it than he is asking.

I hope James (Bimmerworld) doesn't see your RUDE post. Sounds like you have a little race car envy, seek help.

Someone lock this thread before I really get mad and say something I shouldn't.

John

Geo
01-25-2003, 02:55 PM
I've got to agree with John. For sure I don't have the ability to buy a $45k racecar, but I don't begrudge those who sell them and those who buy them. For one thing, I think they set the standard. I look at the Bimmerworld cars and think: OK, this is what I need to do and what can I do beyond what they have done?

Unlike those who buy such cars, I'm building my own and designing some of the parts for it instead of just paying others to make them. I hope to be able get to 90% of what Bimmerworld and Speedsource produce for about 10-20% of the cost. I don't have a lot of time, but I have more time than money and I enjoy the technical challenge.

I find those who want to do the minimium and expect to challenge for wins rather amusing. I don't expect to field a winning car, at least in the first couple of years. I hope that within 3-5 years of fielding my car however to be able to if not beat them, give them something to think about. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

There is no reason that an individual cannot produce a car equivilent to a Bimmerworld car for a lot less money and a lot of time. But it takes that time investment and certainly some money.

I think begrudging someone spending money on their racecar is silly. IMHO enjoy racing at whatever level you can do it or don't do it.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

racer-025
01-25-2003, 06:07 PM
I did say that it's a good deal didn't I? and I did check it out in person - very nice. I'm just saying that IT is supposed to be an entry level regional club racing series. That much effort and expense might be better off focused towards a bigger race series such as Grand-Am.

JohnW
01-25-2003, 06:34 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">That much effort and expense might be better off focused towards a bigger race series such as Grand-Am.</font>[/b]

Says you.

BTW. James does race Speed World Challenge.

Geo
01-26-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by racer-025:
I'm just saying that IT is supposed to be an entry level regional club racing series. That much effort and expense might be better off focused towards a bigger race series such as Grand-Am.

Ah, I see. So nobody should ever field a fully developed race car in IT? Who gets to choose how much gets spent and where?

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

Bill Miller
02-02-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by JohnW:
Dude, what is your problem?????

I'm glad there are shops like Bimmerworld where I can drop 25-40K on a new turn-key race car if I want! James is a nice guy that builds top quality cars, no half assed, Home Depot built, rusty POS's that we see every weekend.

Why do you have such a issue with 45K???? Sounds like a 'retail price' on a top ITS car to me. I'm sure he has much more time and money in it than he is asking.

I hope James (Bimmerworld) doesn't see your RUDE post. Sounds like you have a little race car envy, seek help.

Someone lock this thread before I really get mad and say something I shouldn't.

John

John,

The only 'rude' post I see here is yours. Just because you can spend $25k - $40k on a turn-key car doesn't give you the right to disparage the other cars that show up. Sure, Bimmerworld builds nice cars, but it doesn't mean you've got a "half assed, Home Depot built, rusty POS" if you don't have one.

As far as locking this before you say something you shouldn't, unfortunately, it's too late for that! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Quickshoe
02-02-2003, 05:31 PM
I have no problem with people spending as much money as they want on a car. It makes it that much more fun to beat them. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif Not that I always will, but many people will throw money at the car hoping that it will stick in the right places and make it faster. Often that is not the answer.

It is my opinion that SCCA club racing is made up of mostly underfunded OR undertalented drivers, a few are both and very very few are neither. If they have the talent and the budget they probably won't be here long (unless it makes good business sense)

I don't believe they are here to be big fish in a small pond. They are here because it makes business sense, in the same postion I would do the same. Wouldn't most?

For those of you in the regions where you encounter the Bimmerworlds and Speedsources weekend after weekend it will only make you better. I know that sounds flippant, but it is true. Think I don't know what it's like? Try cutting your racing teeth in IKF Region7. Very, very deep talent pool of karters (Patrick Long, Joey Hand, Buddy Rice, Rocky Moran Jr, Kevin Harvick, Townsend Bell, Richie Hearn, Alex Barron, and need I go on?) In 3 years of Karting they limited me to ONE pole and ONE win.

Geo, you and I don't always see eye to eye on this forum. But I really admire your attitude on this issue.

-Daryl DeArman

JohnW
02-03-2003, 07:41 PM
I really don't understand why some people throw that much $$$ to be a big fish in a little pond. It just goes to show that there will always be someone with a bigger stick.[/B]

Bill,
Sorry... but that quote above is WRONG!!!!!! And if you don't see it.... oh well.

To bad we don't agree, but that is what set me off! "Big Fish and Bigger stick". How good should Bimmerworld be??? Maybe all fully-prepped 'Bimmerworld caliber' cars should run mud and snow tires to make things 'fair'.

Maybe George and Daryl expressed what I was thinking better than I did! I never have been to politicaly correct.

I would argue that a few Bimmerworld caliber cars is good for IT racing. Someone else said that they set a "STANDARD" and I agree!!

John

[This message has been edited by JohnW (edited February 03, 2003).]

pgipson
02-04-2003, 12:41 AM
There have always been IT racers that built (or bought) the absolute best car going. I still remember an ITS 240Z I saw at Rockingham in 1986 that reportedly cost $20K to build. The guy had an enclosed trailer ( a rarity back then) and a crew. The car was fast and he was good. But there were others that were better. Racing has always been about doing the best you can with what you have. And the car is only part of that equation.