PDA

View Full Version : WTB a good MIG Welder

nasa
09-09-2002, 08:55 PM
Any suggestions on which Mig welder to get for general purpose stuff? Looking to pay around $250

joeg
09-10-2002, 09:35 AM
I'm not a fan of the gasless fluxcore wire, so I would factor in the cost of leasing a bottle of inert gas.

Do you want to take it to the track for "field" repairs? Do you have a big enough generator?

You can't go wrong with brand names Miller, Lincoln or Hobart, but at that price you will be looking at a small 110 Mig. I've used both the small Lincoln and the Hobart Handler and they are good machines.

You do not use the 110 Migs for heavy work (like roll cages).

Tom Blaney
09-10-2002, 09:59 AM
I don't think you will find anything better than the Hobart Handler for the price. But Joe's right, don't use it for rollcages, although I built two trailers with it, and it's never failed

balz
09-10-2002, 03:10 PM
I think you are going to be stretching it to find something for $250. At a minimum, I would recommend the Lincoln 135. But do not try to weld with Flux Core gasless wire as mentioned above....It's like trying to weld with Popcorn.

The 135 is about $400. Good luck on your search, and let me know if you find something "with ARGON" that works well for that price.

Frank

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org
"I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"

Tim
10-28-2002, 05:46 PM
Northern Tool has the Hobart handler for $399 (free shipping)or my local welding supply guy is recommending a Lincoln complete with everything for $650-700. Any opinions? This is for general use, no cages.
thanks

Tom Blaney
10-28-2002, 08:31 PM
That's a good price, however for a little more money, you can go to a local store, buy the unit, take it home. You will develop a working relationship with a local welding shop/(local businessman) that can give you advice and recommendations the next time you go there.

I think this is one of those situations where there is value added buying local.

joeg
10-29-2002, 07:57 AM
Tom--I concur. When I took adult-ed courses in welding, the instructor was a salesman for a local welding supply company.

Despite the apparant "conflict of interest", I bought (and still buy) everything related to welding from his company. I imagine you can, but I am not into mail order for welding.

civicrr
11-16-2002, 03:53 PM
Well, if you decide to use the web for welding equipment, check this out: www.cyberweld.com (http://www.cyberweld.com). I actually bought a Hobart Handler 175 & returned it for a Miller. No problems. The Hobart only has four voltage settings whereas the Miller has an infinite range. Plus the Miller has a few other nice features. While it is true, if I went to a store, I would have seen the difference in the first place. I still paid quite a bit less.