PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced floor jack?

Tyson
04-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Looking for a reasonably priced (hopefully under $200) floor jack I can take with me to the track and use at home, so it must be under 100lbs as well. Minimum jack height of 3.5" and at least 19" high. American made. I know I'm asking alot for such a cheap price, but its gotta be out there.

Tyson

Tom Blaney
04-15-2002, 03:23 PM
I just ordered an aluminum race jack from Harbor Freight for $199. It weighs 39 lbs. I am sure it's not nascar quality, but it seems to have all of the fearures. Unfortunatly it is backordered until the 28th they apparently sold them out quick, so you gotta get on line.

Tyson
04-15-2002, 03:29 PM
What? I had already previously checked harbor freight and just checked it again, and did not see an aluminum jack in their catalog, especially not for $199! please give me the part number, i really want this.

rlekun
04-15-2002, 04:34 PM
Tom,

I got an idea. Delete your post and lets start a business re-selling the aluminum jack from Harbor Freight for $400 each!

Tom Blaney
04-15-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by rlekun:
Tom,

I got an idea. Delete your post and lets start a business re-selling the aluminum jack from Harbor Freight for $400 each!

Nah, I'm gonna rent time on my electronic scales at the track, right on the trailer. What'da think you would pay for a quick hop on and get a computer printout?

The item number is 47246-ohvh. Hey tell them I referred you, I want some credit...

Tyson
04-15-2002, 04:59 PM
well,i pasted the part number and got this.
"The Specifications for this item are not currently available online, or the item has been discontinued."

Do you think they wisened up that these things are worth more than $199?

im thinking about this one tho. specs seem about right. hoping i can come pick it up at their warehouse to save shipping.
http://www.ontool.com/store/product/1314-12961

Tom Blaney
04-15-2002, 05:11 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention it is not an on-line order. I just spoke to them and they said they are b/o'ed till the 19th. But the part number is good by phone. Mention free shipping, which saves $25 but takes 5-10 work days. I tried to up the ship time, but it would be ups blue no guarantee less time.

Tyson
04-15-2002, 05:35 PM
Ok, called em up, and got it on b/o. Awesome. I've been drooling over these aluminum jacks for a while. I'll sacrifice 3" of max lift height (17" still better than the el cheapo chinese made Autozone specials) for a low weight of 37lbs! I even let them sucker me into their savings membership...

Thanks Tom.

dpc
04-15-2002, 06:17 PM
Tom, be sure that you bring that new jack to all the races and park next to Pete and Jack. thanks in advance Dave

Tom Blaney
04-15-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by dpc:
Tom, be sure that you bring that new jack to all the races and park next to Pete and Jack. thanks in advance Dave

Great, this way I can have some other service I can rent to Pete. Let's see I have the digital scales, the aluminum jack, oh yes and the harbor freight portapower body tools http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif

rlekun
04-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Throw the cordless wire welder in as well http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Hammer
04-17-2002, 08:10 PM
What is the height of the jack in its lowest position. I am wondering whether I can get it under my RX7 without having to drive it on some 2x4's.

Tyson
04-17-2002, 08:13 PM
Says its 3.54" Ive not found any jacks with a lower min height.

Jon Nelson
04-18-2002, 12:03 PM
Any specs and pics availiable anywhere?

Tom Blaney
04-18-2002, 12:37 PM
I have a jpeg of the page, If you know how to plug it into the reply let me know, otherwise, just call HF.

Jon Nelson
04-18-2002, 12:44 PM
Any chance you could e-mail it to me?

[email protected]

Thanks

Jon Nelson

Jon Nelson
04-18-2002, 04:51 PM
Does anyone have one of these yet? I'd like a review.... the price of these is hard to say no to, but if they are an el cheapo off-shore kinda thing, they might not be worth the recycled popcans they're made of.

Someones gotta be the quinea pig, though.

Tom Blaney
04-18-2002, 07:46 PM
Well I guess since I started this, I will be the first to get one, so I will give you a review.

Perhaps we can start another thread that would require legaleze

Bye the way, don't waste the 20 bucks to join the dicsount club (no matter how hard they sell). Unless you live for HF tools, there is no big discounts on anything that is good. IMOH of course

ITB2002
04-19-2002, 12:48 PM
This one is not aluminum, http://www.calcarcover.com/product.asp?sou...to+Product+List (http://www.calcarcover.com/product.asp?source=&ID=145&subcatID=&returnURL=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fsearch%3Djack&returnCaption=Back+to+Product+List)
but it's made in the US, very durable, mine has been stored outside on my open trailer for the last 2 years, (little rust), but works great.
Did I mention its not light. . .weak backs do not apply, but low enough for race cars.
Alternate: Some pepboys carry it: save on the freight.

------------------
http://www.roadracingvideos.com/

Rx7Carl
04-21-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Tom Blaney:
I have a jpeg of the page, If you know how to plug it into the reply let me know, otherwise, just call HF.

How bout just putting the URL in a reply Tom. I'd like to see it too. I'm a sucker for cool tools LOL. Or just e-mail it.
Thanks

------------------
Carl
#33 CSP/soonITA/IT7
[email protected]

Tyson
04-23-2002, 07:19 PM
Item is still backordered, date given is may 9. not sure if ill ever receive this. i really need a good jack.

if youre wondering what it looks like, im sure its just a copy of all the other copies of aluminum race jacks by otc, zinco and whatnot like liteningjack.

Rob May
04-24-2002, 02:18 AM
I called Harbor freight and gave them the # listed here. Noone knew anything about it. Can you check the # again and let us know please? Thanks!

Rob

Tyson
04-24-2002, 04:23 AM
item popped right up when i gave em the item number. but im thinking they arent gonna get these... this $199 price is a serious miscalculation.

Tom Blaney
04-24-2002, 07:01 AM
I got a backorder note also, and read them the riot act. When I ordered it I was told April 19, now May 6th.

This is four b/o's for four orders. Fortunatly it does come, but I hate this about them.

I asked and got an agreement to receive an e-mail when they actually are received in plant.

Sorry guys, but it still does seem like a deal compared to 600 - 700 for a real one.

Rx7Carl
04-26-2002, 05:29 PM
Tom, any chance you could e-mail me the jpeg of it?
TIA

------------------
Carl
#33 CSP/soonITA/IT7
[email protected]

backformore
04-29-2002, 12:09 PM
Add me to the list of people waiting on back order. It was too good to be true. We'll see if it is. I asked the woman who took my order to read me the description and it sounds like it should be way more than $199.

The part number listed here did work for me when I ordered it.

Rory

RX Ron
05-03-2002, 11:52 AM
I just talked to the lady and she said they were on back-order until May 15th.

Tom Blaney
05-03-2002, 01:04 PM
This bites...................

Tyson
05-03-2002, 02:38 PM
This isnt gonna happen folks.....

Rx7Carl
05-03-2002, 06:36 PM
Maybe there waiting for the price of aluminum to drop? Whoever has a pic of it can I see it? At least I will know what I paid for. LOL

------------------
Carl
#33 CSP/soonITA/IT7
[email protected]

Tyson
05-03-2002, 06:52 PM
I dont think any one of us knows what it looks like. actually, Tom, how did you find out about this? im expecting if this is real, its the same liteningjack or OTC racing jack since all the specs match.

Tom Blaney
05-03-2002, 08:38 PM
I suspect that HF is doing the "just in the nick of time" inventory control, they wait till they get some orders then get the vendor to start building fast.

One of you guys had a site for another jack supplier, that had the identical looking jack for 400, I sent him an note saying that HF was half the price, and if he wanted to get 8-10 order quick cut his price and I will start sending orders. No response so I guess we wait

Bill Miller
05-04-2002, 08:21 AM
I'd love to see the pic of this thing too. I'm going to call them today and see if I can get one on b/o.

Aside from that, I know Sears has a 2.5 or 3 ton unit that they are always running a sale on. It's usually $99 and you get a pair of jack stands w/ it. I've been seriously looking at getting one.

I've got a Sears jack (2 ton) that I've had for ~20 years and it's never needed any service and I've never had a problem w/ it. It's no race jack (weight), but it was able to jack up my 24' trailer w/ everything in it when I had to change a blow-out on the side of the road.

I'll follow the continuing saga of the cheap race jack. Sounds like someone screwed up big time on this one, and that we'll get letters saying that they are unavailable, but that they have an alternate for $399.

Edit: Just called to order one and the woman on the phone said she couldn't find anything in the computer w/ that part #. Doesn't look good guys!

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

[This message has been edited by Bill Miller (edited May 04, 2002).]

backformore
05-04-2002, 10:59 AM
Bill,

Someone else earlier in this thread said they called and the part number could not be found. Two other people, including myself called after that and had no problem. You may want to try again.

Rory

Bill Umstead
05-04-2002, 09:38 PM
I just receive a HF catalog last week and the catalog had a photo of the jack at the $199 price. Looks very much like the Girot's Garage jack at about $599. We'll see if it ships.

ITB2002
05-05-2002, 11:26 AM
I had gone to Sears to buy a reliable one made in the US type reliability and found out they were all made in the Orient somewhere.
I ended up getting a lincoln (see thread above, real happy with)
Summit racing has one, do know how low it reachs, where its made but its cheap
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=1766

------------------
http://www.roadracingvideos.com/

planet6racing
05-06-2002, 11:02 AM
Don't know if everyone has one near them, but up here in Wisconsin we have Farm and Fleet (great Automotive section!) and they have a 3-Pump aluminum race jack weighing in at 40 lbs. for $299. When at it's low setting, it is 3-3/4" tall and extends to just over 17", IIRC.

These were in stock, on the shelf, ready to be walked out with. If you have a Farm and Fleet near you, pick one up and go home happy!

------------------
-------
Bill
92 Saturn SL2
Planet 6 Racing
[email protected]

Tom Blaney
05-16-2002, 01:40 PM
Here is the latest BullS..t from Harbor Freight on line

You are now chatting with 'Eric'
Tom Blaney: I have an order placed on backorder since 4/12 order # 8316499 for item # 47246-ozza (aluminum jack) what is the expected ship date?
Eric: THOMAS BLANEY : SBMS RACING
Eric: 92 WALLING RD : WARWICK : NY : 10990
Tom Blaney: yes
Eric: 47246 JACK LONG FRAME back ordered till 07/05
Tom Blaney: what...
Tom Blaney: I was told 5/20 at the latest.
Eric: sorry, back Order dates are not guaranteed. These are approximate dates. Merchandise could be delayed or shipped sooner.
http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/mad.gif http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/mad.gif

I think I am going someplace else, should I try for a bulk deal?

Jon Nelson
05-16-2002, 02:38 PM
Unless you really NEED an aluminum6 pump race jack, just wait and see what happens.... If you're like me, you want one more than you need one, just cause they're cool.

Thanks for keeping us posted, though, Tom.

BTW - They haven't charged you for the jack yet, have they?

Thanks,

Jon

Tom Blaney
05-16-2002, 04:25 PM
Jon:

Please look at the other post about the bulk order. Although the deal is a little higher in price, I just placed my order (for 1) got a confirmation and a delivery date. I am afraid Harbor Freight F...ed us. In my correspondence to the I said I would vote with my wallet, the commend was basically so what. So if they lose 15 - 20 orders maybe it will help.

Please allow 3-4 days not including weekends for Priority. Orders would have to come in before 10:00 Central time to go out the same day.

Order Number: streamlinedistribution-3210

Ship to Tom Blaney
92 Walling Road
Warwick NY 10990
914-258-4844 Bill to Tom Blaney
92 Walling Road
Warwick NY 10990
914-258-4844
[email protected]
Via Postal Priority

Item Options Unit
Price Quantity Subtotal
Larin Heavy duty Aluminum Racking Jack 2.5 ton capacity
(Will ship within 24 hours)
Vwresolution:
Vwsupplier: 269.00 1 269.00
Shipping 0.00
Tax 0.00
Subtotal for Garage-Toys.com 269.00

[This message has been edited by Tom Blaney (edited May 16, 2002).]

Tyson
05-16-2002, 04:33 PM
man, if you dont know that you need one, you havent been changing your tires enough! either that or youre he-man for being able to carry the 100lb floor jacks this is comparable to.

Jon Nelson
05-16-2002, 05:08 PM
I guess I am a he man, but not a he-man enough that I want a three pump jack. 6 is good enough for me.

BTW, my jack weighs 70lbs, but I'm in Canada, so I guess that's 100lbs US.

http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

I agree with Tom about voting with your wallet, but I'm gonna sit on the fence for now.

Boy, Tom, if you get an aluminum jack, someone's gonna acuse you of cheating, ya know.....

RX Ron
05-16-2002, 06:41 PM
I just got a card in the mail from Harbor Freight today. Guess what, my jack is still on back order. They didn't even give me a date when the thing is suppose to be shipped. This is the third back order on the same item. My question is this, how do those people stay in business lying to their customers the way they do??????????

Tyson
05-16-2002, 07:06 PM
You got me, i got my card the other day, and the back order date was past due. I tried ordering the small 5 gallon air tank, that was back ordered too, didnt bother putting my name on the list. went over to sears and got a 9 gallon on for $40.

Rx7Carl
05-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Got my card yesterday too. Called today, b/o till 7/8/02. at least they said 2002 lol. I paid by credit card, I will not be charged till it actually ships, and I can cancel anytime before it ships with no problem. I think I'm gonna paste a pic of one from a catalog to my iron jack and just pretend for now!

------------------
Carl
#33 CSP/soonITA/IT7
[email protected]

Bill Miller
05-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Well, at least the part # is good on the website. I just called and ordered one. B/O until 7/5. We'll see if it ever shows up.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

balz
05-18-2002, 01:08 PM
Ok...I FINALLY have to drop my .02 in here <GRIN>...

I got my Harbor freight catalog about the same time as the rest of you and YES...I was a sucker too (GRIN).

I humbly don't think the price is a mis-print. I already have one of these (not from Harbor but from COSTCO) that I got for roughly $250 back in October of last year. IT IS GREAT, WORKS GREAT, an looks identical to the $700 Zinko that my buddy in the same garage has.

I think we should be able to find an alternate source for these IN BULK if needed.

On a side note, I did order a bunch of other stuff from Harbor that showed up bit by bit, piece by piece. I am not a big on-line shopper. I like to touch and feel the quality of stuff I am buying, but I do like to find bargins and this, In my humble opinion, was a bargin that I couldn't pass up, even though I already have one, and even though I am having to wait.

If and when I get mine I will be sure to post a note on what the quality is like.

Frank
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org (http://www.balz.myip.org)

"I live my life one apex (seal) at a time"

Rx7Carl
05-20-2002, 09:02 AM
Aha!!!!! So now its on the website. Sounds like they added this item to their catalog way too early!

------------------
Carl
#33 CSP/soonITA/IT7
[email protected]

il8apex
06-07-2002, 11:23 AM
I ordered the Harbor Freight jack yesterday, and checked the back order today...

The new ship date is June 15th!

-T

Tom Blaney
06-07-2002, 01:28 PM
That's probably because the rest of us cancelled their orders. Sorry, but I don't think you'll see that baby till the snow falls.

Rx7Carl
06-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Just got a card form HF. New ship date is 6/14/02

------------------
Carl
#33 CSP/soonITA/IT7
[email protected]

Tyson
06-18-2002, 01:40 PM
It's past June 15th, anything ever receive this yet from HardlyFreighting?

il8apex
06-18-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Tyson:
It's past June 15th, anything ever receive this yet from HardlyFreighting?

From the telephone update: New ship date is Friday, June 28th. My steel jack is working fine, so I'm just going to forget I ordered and act surprised when (if) it shows!

-Tom

Jake
06-18-2002, 05:01 PM
Today, June 18th, 2002 I recieved something from Harbor Frieght!!! An email....

> Item # 47246 is currently on backorder
> until approximately 7/1/02. I
> apologize for the delay.
>
> Thank you
>
> Dawn Quinn

djsmith
06-19-2002, 01:34 PM
Ordered mine on the 7th and got it 1 week later.

RX Ron
06-19-2002, 03:47 PM
Just got another card in the mail today. Backordered until 6/28/02. But this time they sent a tear-off section called a renewed option notice, that said that if I don't return this portion of the card, my order will be canceled as per the Federal Trade Commission Mail Order Rule. Iam saving these cards so I can pile them up and use them as jacks stands when I get my jack!!!

Joe Craven
06-20-2002, 12:25 AM
RX, I got the same card. I'm mailing it in. Did you notice that they need you to fill in a date stating , "I will accept a delay in shipment for this item until"

I was wondering if they will fill the orders of people less willing to wait as compared to us patient Improved Touring list members. LOL

RX Ron
06-20-2002, 01:46 PM
I saw that part on the card and was wondering the same thing. Also, they just might wait until the date expires and not have to send the jack. All these delays makes me think they screwed up somehow on the pricing and are trying to get out of it. I also noticed that in the fine print it states they will ship the jacks first come/first serve. I don't know if that is the date ordered or the date you are willing to accept a delay in shipment.

il8apex
06-20-2002, 02:44 PM
From the Customer Satisfaction department's automated information line:

Item#47246 was shipped on Wednesday, June 19th!!!!!

Hmmm.... I'll post again when I can use it on the car and give feedback!

-Tom

[This message has been edited by il8apex (edited June 20, 2002).]

backformore
06-20-2002, 06:54 PM
I got the same info from a real human being. It shipped on the 19th.

WE'll see.

Bill Miller
06-20-2002, 09:12 PM
Well, somebody's going to be gettin my jack! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

Saw this thread, and called to see what was up. Seems the brain-dead clerk copied my CC# down wrong, so when the went to charge it yesterday before they shipped it, the CC got refused. But, rather than call to find out WTF was up (since I'd had the thing b/o'd for over a month), they just canceled the order!!!! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/eek.gif

So, I had to place a complete new order, and it's on B/O until July!!!

Whoever gets it, good luck w/ it!!!!

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Tom Blaney
06-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Bill:

Check the other post on the jack. I think garage .com still has some.

Tom Blaney

Jake
06-21-2002, 11:18 AM
Good things come to those who wait (eventually)

Jon Nelson
06-21-2002, 11:27 AM
Harbour freight has the alum. jack online, now, so they must not have a desire to get rid of them, ie miss-pricing.

I'm thinking of ordering one, just to get on "the list".

Question... if you order online, does all corresondence happen via e-mail?

Has anyone laid their hand son one yet?

Thanks,

Jon

Joe Craven
06-21-2002, 02:34 PM
They charged my credit card yesterday - my jack probably shipped on the 19th.

I need it for next weekend!

36 ITB Capri
41 VW NASA GTI Cup

Tyson
06-21-2002, 03:43 PM
Uh oh. just checked my bank account and looks like somethings coming my way from HF. looks like ill have two aluminum jacks! good opportunity to do a comparison i guess.

Jake
06-28-2002, 04:20 PM
My jack shipped out yesterday. They say I should see it in 10-14 days. With any luck, I'll have it in time for the Pig Roast. (NHIS Regional). BTW - HF now has the Jack on their home page. Also, there's a ton of people selling the same jack on Ebay for $300.

Joe Craven
07-02-2002, 12:08 PM
I just noticed a $220 refund on my credit card account. It appears that Harbor Freightless cancelled my order.

Upon further examination,
HF charged 220.44 on 6/18/02
HF charged 220.44 on 6/26/02
HF credited 220.44 on 6/27/02

Perhaps they didn't ship on the 19th and shipped on the 26th and they accidentally charged me again.

[This message has been edited by Joe Craven (edited July 02, 2002).]

Jake
07-02-2002, 03:31 PM
This reminds me of when I tried to get a Playstation 2 when it just first came out. It's on Amazon - no Best Buy - no EBAY.

RSTPerformance
07-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Jake:
This reminds me of when I tried to get a Playstation 2 when it just first came out. It's on Amazon - no Best Buy - no EBAY.

That's because Amazon is run through Toys R Us!!!
I am the Manager for a Toys R Us in New Hampshire so I couldn't resist http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Stephen

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited July 02, 2002).]

Rob May
07-15-2002, 02:41 PM
I got my Harbor Freight jack today. It looks pretty good. I will try it this weekend and let everyone know.

Rob May
07-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Get one! It works perfect. I had zero problems, (well, except for everyone wanting to use it) It was worth the wait!

RX Ron
07-22-2002, 01:55 PM
Used my new jack at Daytona this last weekend and it worked great! Iam turning my old iron floor jack into a flower pot...

Bill Gotwalt
07-24-2002, 09:35 PM
the jack-- its here in my hand--and long story--anyone want it for the original price of 199.95 plus shipping---check out www.fedex.com (http://www.fedex.com) for rates from 33813---ground is cheap with them---could ship it tomorrow

Bill Gotwalt
07-24-2002, 09:45 PM
want mine?--long story--its in my hand--works great
can ship tomorrow from 33813--check out fedex grounds rates--they appear the cheapest

rgrunenw
08-02-2002, 01:45 AM
There's a Harbor Freight store here in Columbus, OH, so I stopped in. They had the jack in stock for $169.95. Looks like a nice piece assuming it lasts.

Rich

zepracer
08-05-2002, 10:54 PM
The store in Charlotte had three in stock at $199. Now they have two.

PS: I have experienced some of the same problems with HF as others have posted.

SilverHorseRacing
08-06-2002, 11:42 PM
Sorry to brag, but I ordered mine last week, and it showed up today, just in time for my B-Day tomorrow, but too late for last weekend at Daytona. I have had issues with Harbor Freight in the past, but this time they delivered quick, and as promised. It's sitting in my living room right now, much to the dismay of my wife!

------------------
-Marcello Canitano
www.SilverHorseRacing.com
Arthur Machinery - Official 2002 Sponsor
www.ArthurMachinery.com
SuperChips - 2002 Sponsor
www.SuperChips.com
ProForce - 2002 Sponsor
www.Proforce.com

machschnell
08-09-2002, 10:05 AM
Has anyone compared the $600 jack from Griots Garage to the $200 one from HF? I got both of their catalogs on the same day last week, and compared side-by-side their race jacks, they look *almost* identical in the way they are designed/laid-out. Kinda funny... HF's is 37.4 lbs, GG's is 35 lbs. And Griot's makes a comment above the item about how theirs "won't make your wallet light"...

BAHAHA. They must be too used to selling Gucci diapers to Ferrari owners to polish their cars with.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

lateapex911
08-09-2002, 08:58 PM
yes...I did notice that...I also noticed that all the dimensions were the same once you converted them to a common standard.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......what's up here? Are we getting (mine was ordered a few days ago) a $600 jack for $200, or are the Griots folk (and I drueled over it it their catalog before I found it at HF) selling a $200 jack for $600????? I hope it's the former!

Or is it the same source, but the unit is "B" stock...which would explain it's regular out of stock status?

Does anyone else have one on order? Any word on the status? I'm waiting for mine.....impatiently!
------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
Northeast Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited August 10, 2002).]

Speed Raycer
08-26-2002, 04:10 PM
I received mine about 5 days ago; about 2 weeks after ordering... Pretty nice unit and definately lighter than my old Craftsman. Rolls really nice. Haven't jacked anything up but my ceiling... Works great for kitchen remodeling! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
Scott
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it
http://home.swbell.net/srhea66/AllThreeProjectsRealSmall.jpg (http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/radrodder)
http://home.swbell.net/srhea66/PFMSigPic.jpg (http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/rudder_racing) http://home.swbell.net/srhea66/replica2small.jpg
E-mail me for deals on
Lightweight Replica Blocks!

lateapex911
09-12-2002, 03:33 AM
Well, I FINALLY got mine...it had been hanging out at the post office for a week! Not that they ever told me or anything!

My advice is to pay the extra for UPS shipping.

SO far so good! If anyone here actually has the Griot Garage version, fire up the old camera and post the shot here, so we can compare, and answer that burning question: "Is it the same jack?"

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Greg Amy
09-15-2002, 09:09 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Well, I FINALLY got mine...</font>

Me, too, and it's already broken.

Two big probs: first, the front roller is aluminum with no rubber sleeve, which means that every rock and imperfection in the floor creates a dent in the roller (we're going to sleeve it with steel or rubber). Second, the jack pad is aluminum; when we picked it up by the edge of the pad (accidentally) it broke an ear off the pad and we almost lost the car off the jack (we'll probably machine a steel pad for it.)

Other than these issues (after only a single day of use) it seems to be pretty cool. I could buy three or more of these for the price of the "real" one...

GregA

Todd Reynolds
10-20-2002, 10:07 PM
Myself and few other guys ordered and received the Harbor Freight $199 aluminum jack. This jack rocks! It almost looks too good to be beat-to-hell in a race environment. I was expecting a light cheap jack and I would have been happy with just that. But I received a surprisingly nice designed light aluminum race jack. I would have a little more cartilage in my back if I would have purchased one years ago. This jack is well worth the $199 price and more(free shipping). I keep mine in the living room on display ;p Todd

Mazda Miata ITA #16
Southeast Region

Geo
10-21-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by grega:
I could buy three or more of these for the price of the "real" one...

I did. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

I walked in on a sale at the local HF. Paid $129 each!

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed

[This message has been edited by Geo (edited October 21, 2002).]

Greg Amy
10-22-2002, 07:34 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Myself and few other guys ordered and received the Harbor Freight $199 aluminum jack. This jack rocks!</font>

Me too, and it does. Unfortunately, I've already broken mine. I lifted the side of my car with it, not recognizing that the frame rail wasn't centrally located on the aluminum plate. When I lifted the car I broke off one of the "tabs" on that plate, taking a good chunk off of it.

In addition, we noticed that the aluminum roller is easily subjected to dents and scratches from rocks and debris.

Nice jack, super to have around, but it ain't no heavy steel Big Bertha shop jack; better be careful with it.

GA

aggarcia
10-22-2002, 11:30 AM
I bought the HF race jack. My friend has one of the $600 versions. Many have compained about the front roller, but the $600 version is the smae way. It also has a soft jacking plate so do not blame HF for making a copy almost exactly like the $600 unti. The main difference is that the $600 version has colored sides and trim. I would rather pocket the $400 than have colored sides.

apr67
10-23-2002, 10:16 PM
Be very careful to use the jack only on a flat surface with the car blocked. The side panels are very soft, and have almost no strength if they get side loaded.

OTLimit
10-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by apr67:

Be very careful to use the jack only on a flat surface with the car blocked. The side panels are very soft, and have almost no strength if they get side loaded.

Why don't you bring it with you tomorrow and Chris can check it out? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Lesley

Speed Raycer
10-24-2002, 03:11 PM
Chris can check ours out if he wants to. Just look for the ITA RX7 that keeps getting in his way every time he laps us http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Seriously though... stop by the orange purple and white RX7

------------------
Scott
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it
http://home.swbell.net/srhea66/AllThreeProjectsRealSmall.jpg (http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/radrodder)
http://home.swbell.net/srhea66/PFMSigPic.jpg (http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/rudder_racing) http://home.swbell.net/srhea66/replica2small.jpg
E-mail me for deals on
Lightweight Replica Blocks!

apr67
10-24-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by OTLimit:
Why don't you bring it with you tomorrow and Chris can check it out? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Lesley

Oh, I fixed it.. Did I mention that the panels were really soft?

Alan

Jake
11-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Hey HF is at it again!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/03100-03199/03169.gif
only $39.95 http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=3169 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3169)

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited November 08, 2002).]

zracer22
11-13-2002, 11:49 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=1872300024 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872300024)

Jon Nelson
11-14-2002, 01:16 PM
I checked with HF yesterday.... they FINALLY have some jacks in stock!!

Jon

PS - I couldn't find details on the one shown above? Looks like a good desk toy, IMO

Tom Blaney
11-14-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Jon Nelson:
I checked with HF yesterday.... they FINALLY have some jacks in stock!!

Jon

PS - I couldn't find details on the one shown above? Looks like a good desk toy, IMO

I'd still skip the HF jack, check the earlier posts, mine took a hell of a beating in a few short months and is still working good.
IMHO of coarse