PDA

View Full Version : The Jack Saga continues...

balz
06-30-2002, 11:41 AM
Well, it seems that after two months, my Harbor Freight floor jack is finally shipping. It should be here in the next (god only knows how long)...

Here is the catch...They charged me DOUBLE...

Yep...you heard right...they charged me 199.99 on the 20th of June and then another 199.99 on the 27th of June. They claim that they "thought" the item was in inventory and was going to ship so they charged me. When it didn't then they "intended" to issue a credit and re-charge me when it shipped out. SO...when it (so they say) shipped out on the 26th, they charged me on the 27th for the jack (again). I am fighting them right now for my credit...they are pulling the old...you have to send us a copy of your VISA statement. Well, they can kiss my VISA butt...I called Visa, explained the story and have filed a fraud complaint against them.

Half of the stuff I ordered from them back in April is STILL on back order...

I have always been of the opinion, if you can't touch it, you shouldn't buy it. This ordeal reminded me of that.

Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org (http://www.balz.myip.org)

"I live my life one apex (seal) at a time"

Bill Miller
06-30-2002, 01:48 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder if that means they really didn't have them in stock when they canceled my order because someone screwed up my CC number. We'll see if (when?) mine shows up and what happens w/ it.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

RX Ron
07-01-2002, 01:22 PM
UHMMM.....I am sitting here looking at that card I got, telling me to send it in with a drop dead date or my order would be canceled.

il8apex
07-01-2002, 02:19 PM
I've got roughly the same story as Balz...

They charged my card on the 20th after telling me it had shipped on the 19th. Then on the 28th it shows another charge and then a refund. Now the automated shipping information says it was shipped on the 27th...

What the heck is going on with this place? I've only been charged once, but still don't know if I have a jack on the way or not!

FWIW, I tried to get a tracking number out of the customer satisfaction people after it had supposedly shipped on the 19th. They said that it will ship USPS regular mail, and thus will not have a tracking number.

-Tom

balz
07-01-2002, 04:03 PM
BTW...I got the same card on the 10th of June saying my order was going to be cancelled unless I returned the card...I threw the card in the trash but I quickly dug it out when they charged me 2 x for the product I never recieved and threw it in their face...they were LESS then easy to work with...

Frank

mock1
07-03-2002, 11:03 PM
After months of back orders and being charged twice I received my jack from harbor freight today. It looks like the real thing for alot less. Tried it on the car and 6 pumps and the car is off the ground. At the same time, I ordered one from h/f and the other jack from garage toys, the later has already been sent back. I guess only time will tell!

Bill Miller
07-05-2002, 02:32 PM
Well, surprise, surprise! When I went to the PO today, there was a package card in my box. I hoped it was the .75 5th gear I've been waiting for. Nope, it was my jack from HF. Box weighed 42#. Got it home, and had it assembled and under the car in less than 5 min. Gotta admit, it sure looks like the real deal, and it's a lot easier to lug around than my Craftsman 2 Ton.

It came just in time for me to take it to Summit Point this weekend. I'll try it out on my buddy's car and let everyone know how it performs. And yes, 6 pumps and the car was in the air, w/ 2-3 inches under each tire. I like it! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Tyson
07-05-2002, 11:54 PM
Got mine today. looks good, just in time for sears point regional this weekend. seems much better than the larin model, i know, but i gotta be honest. my larin jack does not work correctly, it takes too much power to raise the jack when loaded, when unloaded seems to raise fine. i've tried purging the air per instructions, however manual is a bit vague. and there are several other things i noticed that make the US general model seem much more of a better value, not even including the higher price. more on my review later after the weekend.

Bill Miller
07-07-2002, 10:18 PM
Well, took the jack to Summit Point this weekend, and everyone that looked at it figured it cost 2.5 - 4 times as much as it did. I probably could have sold 8 - 12 of them for $400/each! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/eek.gif It worked like a champ. It does take more effort to pump when it is loaded, but that's not really an issue. I spoke w/ someone who had prior experience w/ this style jack. His comments were to keep an eye on the allen bolts and make sure they're tight (apparently they can vibrate loose) and to make sure that the jack is square to what ever your lift. Side loads tend to tweak the frame. He also said to keep an eye on the casters.

Looks like a winner!

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Tyson
07-07-2002, 11:43 PM
Yep, worked like a beast this weekend. definately make sure it lifts square, it will twist otherwise and twist the jackstands on the otherside if applicable, but dont all jacks? the construction is definately beefier than the larin model. and the hydraulic assembly is top notch, its usable range is throughout the whole stroke, so you can either just pump using the top half of the stroke, the bottom half of the stroke or the whole stroke, whatever you have space for, so its great for use in a cramped garage. i cant say that for the larin model.

RX Ron
07-09-2002, 04:40 PM
Got home from work today and there on the door step was my jack! Didn't even have to send in the "Return or else card" Seems to work great in the garage, in a week and a half I'll get to try it out at Daytona. Now all I have to do is wait for my credit card bill to show up and see how many times I have been charged for the thing. It was a long wait but its looks strong enough to last a while I hope. I want to thank you guys for this discussion on where to find a reasonable priced jack. I would never have gotten this without your input. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

dickita15
07-11-2002, 09:22 PM
harbor frieght delivered yesterday. took 2 1/2 weeks. very pretty, had to bleed and ad oil.
dick

il8apex
07-12-2002, 09:49 AM
Is it all the waiting that made it better, or is this thing really a full-on gorgeous chunk of aluminum racing jack? It's already been suggested that I hang it on the wall instead of using it on the floor...

Some friends ordered the Larin jack and sent it back out of sheer disappointment. I'm feeling pretty smug right now!

-Tom

balz
07-13-2002, 07:23 PM
Mine from HF is a carbon copy of the one that I got from Costco for $360. It was worth that wait and worth the triple charges.

Mine was bought as a present for a friend. HE BETTER LIKE IT (GRIN).

Balz

RX Ron
07-16-2002, 12:50 PM
Got my credit card bill today and sure enough I was charged twice. The good news is they credited one of the charges so I everything came out right. I got a light weight jack for $205.94 tax included. Now its on to bigger and better things... http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif