PDA

View Full Version : 3 hour enduro night race Sebring?

RBTurnage
11-11-2004, 12:48 PM
We (PBOC) are planning a 3 hour night enduro at Sebring Thursday January 20, 2005. We are inviting IT cars.

This is part of our four day event, but is a stand alone one day race with practice and qualifying. The race will start at 5:00pm in the light and finish in the dark.

Bud Merrill will be the steward.

This is a beginning, as we want to eventually run a much longer enduro at Sebring.

Any interest? Also, we need rental cars, as most of our regular Porsche, BMW, Ferrari guys won't run their cars in this, but will want to rent cars.

Bob Turnage
VP PBOC

its66
11-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Bob,
You might post a link to the PBOC website/entry form when they become available.

I've already started building a light bar for the 7. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Anyone else going?

Jim Cohen

RBTurnage
11-11-2004, 04:22 PM
We use on line registration and credit card acceptance at www.timingroom.com (http://www.timingroom.com). Chose PBOC/Sunshine Bimmers and the event is Winterfest 2005. The cost is $250. We have projected to just break even.

Someday a 12 hour amateur race at Sebring?

Bob Turnage

Green Flag Inc
11-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Is there a link for information on this race? I can't get the link to the registration to work. I have been to the PBOC Florida site but can't find any information on schedule, supplemental regs or rules for the enduro. I'd like to see the rules before I decide if I'd like to run. Thanks.

------------------
Chris Brubaker
ITS #99 - CFR
[email protected]

crushed
11-29-2004, 01:05 PM
I'm in, keep us posted...

------------------
Russ Marshall
#31 IT-7

RBTurnage
11-29-2004, 01:56 PM
We have a few complaints about access to www.timingroom.com (http://www.timingroom.com). I think if your browser is up to date, you shouldn't have any problem.

HOwever, I think it might help if we set up a separate web page about the night enduro and the rules.

We are debating the number of pit stops required. In our 90 minute races (and ECR races), one five minute pit stop is required. When you go to a 12 or 24 hr race, the number of pit stops is not regulated, but the fuel cell size is.

I am leaning toward two mandatory pit stops.

What would you racers want?

Bob Turnage

crushed
11-29-2004, 03:01 PM
2 stops should be plenty for most cars I would think.

JohnRW
11-29-2004, 03:12 PM
List of 'wants':

Why do mandatory stops at all ? Do they accomplish anything ? No...

If you need gas or tires, stop. If organizers have safety concerns, institute a minimum 'fueling stop time' - I've seen them anywhere from 90 seconds to 5 minutes.

How about posting some details and schedules somewhere on the PBOC site that doesn't require a "Registration" ? I looked around and couldn't find anything.

There are a lot of enduro rats up north that might be interested, if we could see what the whole event includes.

RBTurnage
11-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Mandatory stops are a compromise for safety and cost. I am a crew chief for a Grand Am Cup team where there are no requirements for stopping and no minimums. They require dry breaks, discriminator vavles, etc. ($1,000), fuel rigs ($5,000) and enough crew you should be able to fuel, change 4 tires and drivers in about 50 seconds. Plus everyone comes in under a full course yellow.

Most of us at the amateur level can't afford all that, so we compromise with mandatory stops and level the field for those who can afford a fuel rig and dry break.

However, as we organize longer races, there won't be mandatory stops, but minimum time stops for safety reasons. Plus we will have to regulate fuel load size or someone will show up with a rabbit with a 50 gallon drum strapped in the back seat.

The feedback I have gotten so far is most racers like a mandatory two five minute pit stop.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob Turnage

Green Flag Inc
11-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by RBTurnage:
Mandatory stops are a compromise for safety and cost. I am a crew chief for a Grand Am Cup team where there are no requirements for stopping and no minimums. They require dry breaks, discriminator vavles, etc. ($1,000), fuel rigs ($5,000) and enough crew you should be able to fuel, change 4 tires and drivers in about 50 seconds. Plus everyone comes in under a full course yellow.

Most of us at the amateur level can't afford all that, so we compromise with mandatory stops and level the field for those who can afford a fuel rig and dry break.

However, as we organize longer races, there won't be mandatory stops, but minimum time stops for safety reasons. Plus we will have to regulate fuel load size or someone will show up with a rabbit with a 50 gallon drum strapped in the back seat.

The feedback I have gotten so far is most racers like a mandatory two five minute pit stop.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob Turnage

Bob,
I would totally agree with two 5 minute stops for a 3 hour race. I know that many of the ITS cars that might run this race will only go 1:20 on a stock gas tank and so if you don't do some form of required number of stops they will be unable to be competitive due to fuel load. Looks like you have some interest in this one, and I can see why, any long race at Sebring has got to bring out interest, especially one at night.

Thanks for the work you are doing on this.

------------------
Chris Brubaker
ITS #99 - CFR
[email protected]

apr67
11-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Could a SpecMiata run in this as a Spec Miata, or would it have to run in ITA?

its66
01-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Just got back and wow, what a great time! PBOC put on an excellent, smoothly run enduro. They rented some lighting, so it wasn't as dark as expected. This was the best bargain for RACE seat time I have seen.

What do you think Bob? Can you pull off the 6 hours next year?

Thank you
Jim Cohen

Edwin Robinson
01-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by its66:
Just got back and wow, what a great time! PBOC put on an excellent, smoothly run enduro. They rented some lighting, so it wasn't as dark as expected. This was the best bargain for RACE seat time I have seen.

Thank you
Jim Cohen

If you make it 12hrs. we'll make the trip from New York. Sebring in Jan. beats -15deg. in Syracuse.

RBTurnage
02-08-2005, 02:24 PM
I am just now recovering from Winterfest. Right after Winterfest, I went back to Sebring and instructed at Panoz for six days, then to Daytona and ran a 4 car team including Boris Said as driver.

We have the dates for next year and will run a 6 hour race, half at night. We will add a light tower at turn 14!

I don't know about you guys, but I had a blast. I was racing in a spec miata (my first time) and loved it. I would love to see a whole herd of miatas next year.

We have already booked and been confirmed for Jan 18 through 22, Wednesday through Friday next year. I am thinking that we need two days for the six hour race including a night practice. What would be the best two days? Thursday Friday?

THanks for letting us experiment with you guys. I know the organizers enjoyed it and the corner workers had a great time, I just hope the racers had as much time as we did.

Bob Turnage
PBOC

Originally posted by its66:

Thank you
Jim Cohen

sprinkdawg
02-18-2005, 12:27 AM
I will definately be back next year now that there will be a light tower at Bishop's Bend. Had a great time up untill I went off in 14. The weekend got better though, I got to take my dad around in my street car, we both had a great time! Well run, and a laid-back atmosphere. Thanks for putting together a great event!

------------------
Clark Sprinkel
ITA CRX #26
91.5 WPRK FM
http://www.rollins.edu/wprk

RBTurnage
02-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Clark,

I was sorry to hear that you hit the wall in 14. I was racing in the black miata and had a really nice dice with you or your co driver in the first hour of the race.

It was my first time in a spec miate and it was a blast. Really tight racing. Hope to see you next year.

Bob Turnage

Originally posted by sprinkdawg:
I will definately be back next year now that there will be a light tower at Bishop's Bend. Had a great time up untill I went off in 14. The weekend got better though, I got to take my dad around in my street car, we both had a great time! Well run, and a laid-back atmosphere. Thanks for putting together a great event!