PDA

View Full Version : Dry Break Types?

rmicroys
01-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Just a question for you endurance racers. What dry break systems to you prefer? Red top, or Kaiser and why? Which do you use? How good is it, and what sort of vent/catchcan equipment do you have?

In Ontario there may be a couple of 3hr Enduros at Mosport - so I may be looking at outfitting my car for dry break refueling. Suggestions?

JohnRW
01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
I think the answer you may get is "Whichever one I can borrow for the weekend."

Very few of the club racers who do enduros have access to a fuel rig, and VERY few club racing sanctioning bodies even allow fuel rigs. No real depth of experience. Those that do have access to them are borrowing them.

Since I started running lots of enduros, haven't had a car that even allowed dry breaks (SS, SRF & SM restrictions on fuel system mods), but I do know someone who has a number of fuel rigs that he's offered to let me borrow (he used to build them for IMSA), and I believe that they're all Red Top.

And I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last week.

rmicroys
01-18-2005, 04:21 PM
So if you can't have a dry break system in a car because of the rules = then how do you refuel during enduros? A DOT Jerry can? That must take forever!

After more reading, I guess the Kaiser dry break is a little more misalignment tolerant. They all look rebuildable, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem buying something used at least. How do most people refuel their IT or other cars during these races?

dave parker
01-18-2005, 06:10 PM
We use the ATL "red top" style, with the ATL 11 gallon dump can. It works great. If you use one once you will never go back to funnels and such.
Yes it is expensive to purchase, but what in racing isn't.
cheers
dave parker
wdcr ITC #97

Knestis
01-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Be VERY attentive to your rules - they vary a LOT from place to place for enduros. NASA for example won't allow dry breaks.

I don't know if it matters for your situation but there is also the question of whether it is legal to add a dry break to a stock tank on an IT car. We went around about it here and I think we determined that it isn't.

Similarly, I don't think we can even make a case - based on the book, anyway - for removing the unleaded inlet restrictor!

K

rmicroys
01-18-2005, 10:15 PM
how do people refuel if you can't use a dry break? DOT jugs and funnels? oh my god. I guess they are trying to keep costs down or something?

In Ontario there is nothing that says I can't convert to dry break. Right now, it is against our regional rule book to refuel at all during any races - so they really don't care what kind of system you have. Just so long as it doesn't leak pretty much. But with the enduros coming back this year, they are going to have to revist refueling in the pit lane. Funnels are a pain.

Red top seems to be the most popular, and generally used by most Grand-Am and other teams in pro racing. So I see it being not a bad idea to go that way. Fairly common, rebuild kits aren't that expensive. My Jetta doesn't use much fuel, so I could probably do with 5 gallon dump bottles instead of 11gallon. Easier to handle by the crew too. Again, it all depends on what sort of endurance racing rules get created. This whole thought process may be moot. But they certainly wouldn't force people to go out and buy fuel towers - that's just cost prohibitive.

Greg Amy
01-18-2005, 10:23 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">how do people refuel if you can't use a dry break? DOT jugs and funnels?</font>

Aye-yup. Or NASCAR dump cans with a regular filler tube. Most SCCA events mandate a minimum stop time, so quick-breaks are not really needed.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Red top seems to be the most popular, and generally used by most Grand-Am and other teams in pro racing.</font>

Red-top was MANDATED by (the old) IMSA; I would not be surprised if that's held over.

Fuel towers are typically banned by the rules in SCCA Club enduros.

Joe Craven
01-19-2005, 01:53 AM
NASA enduro rule for most of the classes specifically require the standard 5 gallon jug. Track personnel monitor refueling and penalties are stiff (stop and go or loss of laps) for even minor fuel spills. Fueler has to wear full uniform with a helmet and visor and a 2nd person is standing by with a fire extinguisher.

dickita15
01-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Knestis:

Similarly, I don't think we can even make a case - based on the book, anyway - for removing the unleaded inlet restrictor!
K

Kirk, isn't that part of the emmisions system.
dick

Knestis
01-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Ah! Dickita (cha-cha-cha) might be onto something here!

Anytime someone comes up with a read on the book that is both clever and doesn't piss off the little rules NERD in my head, I am impressed...

K

MMiskoe
01-19-2005, 02:27 PM
I thought it said you could use "any" fuel cell. So why wouldn't the "Knestis Enduro Special" simply be a OEM tank w/o the flap & leaded restrictor? The lid is the same, the neck & tank are the same.

wlfpkrcn
01-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Here's the link to NASA endurance rules. Page 11 has the refueling rules.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/enduro.pdf

Eric

rmicroys
01-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Worth a look. Thanks ...

wlfpkrcn
01-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Usually with 2 five gallon jugs that flow well. We will finish the driver change and 10 gallons in approx. the same amount of time. No need for to dump 10 gallons in 5 seconds.