PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Hours at VIR - NASA

Knestis
01-10-2005, 12:27 AM
It looks like none of my regular partners in crime are able to participate so I though I'd check if anyone would be interested in renting a seat for the NASA enduro at VIR, February 19-20.

This would be with the same car we used for our 13 Hour success - http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/enduro04.php

Send me a note if this sounds fun...

kirk.knestis(a)evaluand.com

JohnRW
01-10-2005, 12:02 PM
You probably know this, but you can run the whole enduro 'solo'. Did it solo the last 3 years, was still pissed off when the checker came out. The Golf goes 2.5 hours on fuel there. Crappy stock engines get GREAT mileage !!! Important tactic - you have to make sure that you pick a pit stall next to one of the porta-potties on pit lane.

I'm signed up again...not sure what I'm bringing...maybe the Spec Miata...maybe the ITB car.

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited January 10, 2005).]

Knestis
01-10-2005, 01:56 PM
The considerations are frankly more financial than tactical...

K

JOESELLSVW
01-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Kirk, The best part of going to VIR solo like I did two years ago was that you get to use John's crew! HA! I did the race myself, and am planning to do the same thing this year while I sort out my A3. My plan two years ago was to learn the track and quit when I got tired. I even left the ramps down on the trailer so I could load up real easy! Right about 2.5 hours like John said I needed gas. I pulled into the paddock and jumped out to fuel. When John's crew saw this THEY ran over a fueled me up! Best part was I loaded the car up and was ready to go when they gave out trophies I ended up in 2nd place! Not bad for learning the track. Maybe we can work something out. My driving skills are way rusty and this car needs a lot of development. Since we're working on the same car maybe we could learn something from each other? Yuor car is light years ahead of mine in that it's been to several events. I've only done the Labor Day MARRS dbl. BY the way John... Happy New Year!... The Otto's crew will be back this year with the MINI. We're hoping for an S, but that may have to wait an extra year. Now we may have to settle for being the fastest Cooper out there rather than the fastest MINI! Joe

ITA Racer
01-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Hey Guys is anyone in need of some voulenteer crew members? Ihave Trans am Arca,and Grans am cup experience.Will work for food and a wplace to stay.Ican provide referances if needed.Iam going to be driving my owm it car this year and would like to come check out some races and get to know some of the people that will be showing me the fast way around. If so let me know. Dave

------------------
95 ITA Neon

[This message has been edited by ITA Racer (edited January 16, 2005).]

Knestis
01-10-2005, 11:45 PM
I'd love to share ideas, pit space, or whatever, Joe - if you are able to make it down. I'll have my DL1 installed with the intention of working more on the driver than the car but I learn something every time I talk to someone about these things...

K

JohnRW
01-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Joe - Just the other day, John and I were wondering if we'd see any of the S cars show up at enduros. Certainly could raise the bar in SSC, but I haven't seen what the weight will be.

VIR / Otto / stuff: Tell Gerry and Sean to bring extra beer. Sign up for the sprint race too ? I did, but I hope the sprint is AFTER the Enduro. From what I saw on the web page, it's before. Gotta be careful, I guess. The Golf may stay home, since it's blocked in and I still haven't looked into the '23lbs. oil pressure @ 6000rpm' thing...although it's been that way for ~20 race hours in the past 2 years. Certainly not wasting any horsepower making oil pressure.

Just another conference of the East Coast Enduro Rats Assoc., it seems. Funny how the same faces/cars have popped up at 3-thru-24 hr. races in the past 7 years, from Florida to Canada. Certain Nissans/Mercedes/Hondas/VWs just seem to be EVERYWHERE. We need some fresh stew meat.

JOESELLSVW
01-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Well as everyone who drove in the VIR 13hr knows the MINI needs a new gearbox. We'll be getting one, but first the car needs a little time off and some love. We are building a Cooper S to use as an autocross car in STX, and hopefully that'll morph into an SSC car in '06. We'd love to have an S race car this year, but I don't think there will be any shortage of them at the Runoffs this year! More horsepower is good, but allowing the factory LSD and giving us a little camber would be better! I'm all for Touring rules. MINI Cooper = T6!
Kirk, email me with what it'll cost to rent a seat in the car. Between an entry fee and towing, it may be better for me to pair up. I think I'd need at least an hour of seat time if you didn't want to split it down the middle. How competitive are you looking to make it? In my Golf two years ago I was turning 2:33's at VIR. i'm not looking to set any lap records, but I'm really interested in trying out the DL. Two years ago I found their website and convinced a friend to buy that thing. He really likes it and thinks for the price it can't be beat. His opinion carries a lot of weight especially since he's the former president of Penske racing and currently a technical advisor to the Brumos Grand Am team!

ITA Racer
01-16-2005, 09:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys is anyone in need of some voulenteer crew members? Ihave Trans am Arca,and Grans am cup experience.Will work for food and a wplace to stay.Ican provide referances if needed.Iam going to be driving my owm it car this year and would like to come check out some races and get to know some of the people that will be showing me the fast way around. If so let me know. Dave
------------------
95 ITA Neon

[This message has been edited by ITA Racer (edited January 16, 2005).]

Knestis
01-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Email me so we can communicate as we get closer to that date...

kirk.knestis(a)evaluand.com

K