PDA

View Full Version : Enduro Toys

Knestis
10-13-2004, 10:24 PM
http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/pod1.jpg

http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/pod2.jpg

This turned out pretty nice so I have to play show-and-tell. "Hella cool," huh?

Get it?

See you all at VIR.

K

Edit - Si. È carbonio.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited October 13, 2004).]

lateapex911
10-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Kirk- Those are massive! Did you make the housing out of pre preg?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Knestis
10-14-2004, 08:25 AM
Todd Hartmann in Seattle actually pulled the piece out of a mold he made for his rally MkII Golf, out of wet-layup carbon. It's not Indycar stuff but it's as good as some aftermarket hoods I've seen around. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

K

tac911t
10-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Night endurance racing - Great excuse to spend money on driving lights!!!

(As if you ran out of things to buy for the race car!!)

Green Flag Inc
10-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Wow.. that is pretty cool. I'm sure you won't be 'missed'! How is the bolt on accomplished?

Can't wait to run this race, I've been a big fan of longer enduro's and can't wait to see how 65 cars live with each other on that track. At Homestead in April I was really impressed at the driving etiquette of the drivers, in 12 hours I don't think I saw more than one or two metal to metal activities and those were in the first few hours.

------------------
Chris Brubaker
ITS #99 - CFR
[email protected]

Ron
10-14-2004, 02:36 PM
I will know it is you when you come up behind me. I have one little question, the rules state that the lights must be below the front windshield are those below?

Mike Spencer
10-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Quick question, Kirk -

I'm looking at the first picture. Just to the right of the tow hook. Is that a connector for the external generator??????

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 #60
1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

Knestis
10-14-2004, 04:53 PM
The top of the lenses is indeed below the windshield. The nose slopes more than one would think.

We have 1000 miles of extension cord that we're going to run back to the pits...

K

JeffYoung
10-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Are those surplus WWII searchlights? WOW....very cool.

See you next weekend Kirk. Really looking forward to it.

Jeff

MMiskoe
10-16-2004, 07:46 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what bulbs are you running those and what's the load rating on the altenator? I have always been curious how well the altenator deals w/ such a load. Seems like most altenators are in the 55A range. Not sure what it takes to run the fuel/ignition system in a car these days.

Good luck at VIR.

Bill Miller
10-16-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure about the A3 cars, but you could get 90A alternators for the A1 VWs. And while I'm no optics expert, I always thought that lens/reflector configuration and therefore, beam pattern was more important than actual output. In other words, you can get more out of a 65w bulb w/ the right pattern than you can out of a 130w bulb w/ the wrong pattern.

I am a bit surprised by no cornering lights.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Knestis
10-16-2004, 10:37 PM
We have 55w low beams, 60w highs, and each of the driving lights is 100 watts. The car came with a 90amp alternator (AC, typical pile of accessories) so the math - and both the dealer and manufacturer's rep - say that it should handle the load just fine.

In fact, we ran a 90a alternator on our MkII rally car for ages, with essentially the same setup.

On the rally car, we ran little spot fogs for cornering lights but (a) I got broad driving patterns on the main lights rather than pencil beams, and (B) I'm already over budget on this particular piece of the project.

I aimed them this evening and went for a drive in the country and they really put out a blanket of light. No hot spots or any real piercing laser beam action but they should work just fine.

I also timed the installation - less than 20 seconds. And they are pre-aimed when they go on, without any stablizer rods or other doo-dads. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

K