PDA

View Full Version : Required workers at Nelson 2 hour

gwalsh
08-05-2004, 11:45 AM
What's the deal with Finger Lakes Region requiring two crew members to be "volunteered" to work at a two hour race?
Isn't it enough that we are paying $140.00 for a double regional that we aren't even running. I am having trouble trying to convince someone to drive twelve hours just to be made to work for one hour of a two hour race. Most teams don't need more than one or two people to crew for such a short enduro anyway. Anyone else find these rules little unfair?

JohnRW
08-05-2004, 12:15 PM
I know that, in many cases, those requirements are dropped. I'm in the same boat this weekend, and I'll lobby with you. I'm going, but I'll be there alone, and it's kinda hard to assign 2 crew members that I don't have.

dickita15
08-05-2004, 12:58 PM
while I do not know the details of the finger lakes decision, I do know that the worker shortage is getting more acute. The money you pay for entry fees has nothing to do with this. not a single person in the region is putting any of this money in their pocket. the entry fee is the cost of running the event based on expences and car counts. someone need to find a solution to the worker shortage. well guess what, that is going to fall on the competitors one way or the other. if we all don't come up with a better solution we will end up just paying workers. you think you pay too much now?
dick patullo
ner scca

[This message has been edited by dickita15 (edited August 05, 2004).]

JohnRW
08-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Gerry - email the Race Chairman and Chief Steward, and explain your predicament. I believe that there is some wiggle room here. You're not alone. Last year, the 'worker requirement' was waived, and we sweet talked a friend (who was already at the track) into the 'timing' role.

Dick - this isn't about a shortage of workers, which can affect the whole weekend schedule (not just the enduro), nor is it about entry fees.

There is a requirement that all cars entering this enduro must enter the sprints, too. That hangs out people like Gerry, who really just want to run the enduro. There is also a requirement that teams (which in each of our cases would me "me, myself and I") must supply both a 'volunteer worker' and a second 'pit stop timer', but just during the enduro. In my case, I don't even have to stop for fuel (can go 2hour 25 min at VIR, with my foot on the floor the whole time).

It's all about how enduro supps are crafted. Gerry's question (if I can phrase it for him, taking an educated guess at what he means) is "Will I be allowed to run the enduro at all if I don't have a volunteer body or two, and if I am allowed to run it, what is the penalty for not supplying bodies ?"

"Not attending the event" doesn't serve the interests of either Gerry, or the sponsoring Region.

Sometimes, we fulfill our obligations to the Club in other ways than by filling roles at weekends when we're also trying to race. I'm on my Region's BOD. I don't road rally, but I work checkpoints at area rallys. I don't Pro Rally, but I'm a scrutineer & worker for Pro Rally. I think we all recognize that this is a 'club', and not a business selling services. Sometimes the 'wiggle room' is appropriate.

Mike Spencer
08-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by gwalsh:
What's the deal with Finger Lakes Region requiring two crew members to be "volunteered" to work at a two hour race?...

On the surface, that does seem to be a little excessive (to me). As a comparison, the "worker requirement" at the VIR 13-hour enduro in October is 1 worker for 1 hour per team.

Originally posted by dickita15:
I do know that the worker shortage is getting more acute.

FWIW, another reason NC region may not need so much help from each team is a worker incentive program they implemented a couple of years ago. (For exact details, you can look at http://www.ncrscca.com ) The crux of it is, for each day you work you get 25 "region-bucks". You can go out and buy almost anything SCCA related (i.e. worker whites, GCR, although I'm not sure about parts for your car) and the region will reimburse you up to the amount of "bucks" you've accrued. There are something like 15 stations at VIR. We don't always have as many people as we'd like, but we usually get a very good turnout.

Maybe Finger Lakes would consider something like this. I'm sure the folks down here would be happy to talk to them about it.

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 #60
1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

DaveITB1
08-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:

There is a requirement that all cars entering this enduro must enter the sprints, too. That hangs out people like Gerry, who really just want to run the enduro. There is also a requirement that teams (which in each of our cases would me "me, myself and I") must supply both a 'volunteer worker' and a second 'pit stop timer', but just during the enduro.

I just spoke with Wilma, the Registrar because I wanted to make sure the enduro was still on (I am travelling from Saratoga Springs, NY for the enduro only, 8+ hrs).

She also told me that the reason enduro people are hit with the extra charge was that last year, racers that payed for the enduro only, also ran in the regional races. She admitted that it was the fault of the grid workers not catching the different color on the tech sticker of those enduro people. The officials didn't come together in time to figure out how to fix it (seems simple to me), so that is the reason that I was given.

Lastly, she said that as of 8/5, there are 8 cars signed up for the 2hr and thinks that there will be late entries to help fill the field. I hope so.

For those of you that are running in it, please feel free to stop by my truck in the paddock (rusty red dually with white ITB BMW). I couldn't convince anyone to come with me either, so I am flying solo for the enduro.

It is my first time at Nelson too. Everyone travel safe.

Regards,
Dave A.
ITB BMW #1

DaveITB1
08-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:

There is a requirement that all cars entering this enduro must enter the sprints, too. That hangs out people like Gerry, who really just want to run the enduro. There is also a requirement that teams (which in each of our cases would me "me, myself and I") must supply both a 'volunteer worker' and a second 'pit stop timer', but just during the enduro.

I just spoke with Wilma, the Registrar because I wanted to make sure the enduro was still on (I am travelling from Saratoga Springs, NY for the enduro only, 8+ hrs).

She also told me that the reason enduro people are hit with the extra charge was that last year, racers that payed for the enduro only, also ran in the regional races. She admitted that it was the fault of the grid workers not catching the different color on the tech sticker of those enduro people. The officials didn't come together in time to figure out how to fix it (seems simple to me), so that is the reason that I was given.

Lastly, she said that as of 8/5, there are 8 cars signed up for the 2hr and thinks that there will be late entries to help fill the field. I hope so.

For those of you that are running in it, please feel free to stop by my truck in the paddock (rusty red dually with white ITB BMW). I couldn't convince anyone to come with me either, so I am flying solo for the enduro.

It is my first time at Nelson too. Everyone travel safe.

Regards,
Dave A.
ITB BMW #1