PDA

View Full Version : BUILDING A CAR JUST FOR ENDUROS

BMW RACER
07-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Let's just suppose you were building an IT car just to used for enduros, what would you do different?
Cheers.
John

JohnRW
07-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Comfortable seat and a good stereo.

DaveITB1
07-28-2004, 11:22 PM
A place for my camelback / gatorade bottle, a digital egg timer on the dashboard to count down the time, and a two-way radio system to chit-chat with my wife in the stands.

Knestis
07-29-2004, 12:19 AM
I would certainly put a fuel cell in, to allow the installation of a dry-break fuel filler. It's not legal to do so with a stock tank and a quick-fill and dump cans is both faster and safer.

I did make sure to leave all of the heater, defogger, rear wiper, horn, and other electrics functional on my car, specifically with enduros in mind.

Make sure that the floorpan and firewall are sealed to keep out water. Water = steam = fogged windows.

Start with all new wear items - wheel bearings, hubs, etc. rather than waiting for them to break before replacing them.

K

EDIT - Install a REAL muffler.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited July 29, 2004).]

dickita15
07-29-2004, 06:49 AM
I would put some thought into drivers seat mounting for different size drivers.
dick

Mike Spencer
07-29-2004, 11:40 AM
- Install a cool-suit with a thermostat

- Limit my choice of cars to those with engines that don't have to be "freshened" very often (rotaries and spec-miatas come to mind, but there are certainly others...)

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 (finally)
1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

Blix
07-29-2004, 07:08 PM
I'd build a spec miata, so I would spend the least amount of time in the pits during races possible...then I'd go out and win the Nelson 12 hour...

Aw nuts, someone did it....

Seriously tho, there is a reason that some of the pro drivers show up and race in SM enduro's once in a while..