PDA

View Full Version : 12 hrs @ Summit Point driver wanted

Robtr
05-05-2004, 11:38 PM
We are currently looking for a qualified and funded driver to join our endurance team for the 2004 running of the 12 hrs @ Summit Point in an ITB VW Golf. Please send resume to [email protected]. It will take a week or two to get back in touch with you.

------------------
Thank you Rob Troxell
[email protected]

RSTPerformance
05-07-2004, 10:08 AM
I always find these posts great, but wonder what the costs will be??? Why doesn't anyone ever give even an estimated cost/sponsorship requirement?

Raymond Blethen
RST Performance Racing

BillW
05-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Raymond, The cost for a seat in a 12 hr race varies greatly depending on the car and the arrangement with the car owner. A typical SM 12 race figures out like this:

Entry fee: $600
Tires (6): $900
Fuel (10mpg): $150
New Hubs: $200
New pads: $160
Fluids: $50
Misc: $200

That totals out to $2260.

The variables are car rentals (wear/tear) for the non-owners, crew costs ( lodging/food).

The races we do as a team normally come out to about $1200-$1500 each for 3 drivers. We're doing three 12 hr races this year - 1 with each of our cars so the wera/tear fees wash and we'll just split expenses.

An arrive/drive arrangement in a well prepped SM will most likely cost you another $1000.

An IT car may be more based on tire costs/fuel, prep, etc..

Most teams that advertise for drivers are looking at making a little profit also, so take that into consideration..

Look me up this w/e if you want to talk more about endurance racing. It can be addictive!

EDIT: This does not really answer your questions, but gives you an idea of what the costs are. I agree, that posters should post the cost for a seat, but I suspect they don't want to advertise it in the event that they are over-priced or under-priced and don't want to take any flack http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif one way or the other...

Bill SM #54

[This message has been edited by BillW (edited May 07, 2004).]

RSTPerformance
05-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Bill-

Yeah we have done a couple 3 hour enduro's with multiple drivers so I know about what expenses to budget (I did find your infor helpful interesting and Iam glad you posted it). I know how addicting enduro's are. Our plan this year was to run just the NESCCA endurance series, however due to the lack of a schedule in March by NESCCA, we decided not to go that route (not knowing if their was even going to be a series)... I think we made the correct decision since their would have been a lot of travaling to Nelson Ledges with the travel alone being plenty of an endurance, and hardly any races anywhere else. If the series still included at least Pocono and possibly the addition of Lime Rock then things would have been different even at the late posting of the schedule.

My post was not what are the costs but why don't people put the costs (wich you answered with your guess). Before we went to other drivers offering a ride in our cars we had a detailed spreadsheet with all costs. The spread sheet also had different stratagies outlined and each driver had to agree to a stratagy and pay whatever costs were associated with it. Main difference being Hoosiers, or Kumo's. Cost difference could be rather large in a long enduro.

The different stratagies we had related to the tires were:
1: Hoosiers, we feel that in order to win we will need to be as fast as possible the entire race or
2: Kumos, we feel that a steady constant 8/10ths run will be all we need to win the enduro, or is what we need to do to finish the enduro.

Obviosly length of the race and number of tire changes tire wear and all that also havs an effect, but with a 3 hour you are likely not to do a tire change, and both tires will make the 3 hours. Half the fun once we had a team was deciding the stratagy!!! I think that part and practice driver changes are the most fun (for us rookies anyway)!!!

Raymond Blethen
RST Performance Racing