PDA

View Full Version : How hard is nelson ledges...

RSTPerformance
03-25-2004, 02:03 AM
1- How hard is Nelson Ledges on cars espcially brakes and tires (thinking about 12 hour if space is left)

2- How hard to is it to learn?

At the Glen we can probably get 3-4 hours out of an outside tire and we would be pushing to get much more than 3 hours out of the brake pads.

That brings up the question, besides slowing down do people use different tires or brakes for enduro's such as these?

Raymond Blethen
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)

------------------
http://rstperformance.bizland.com/rstsignature.jpg
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)
1st and 2nd 2003 ITB NARRC Championship
1st and 6th 2003 ITB NERRC Championship
3rd 2003 ITB ARRC Sprint Race
4th 2003 ITB ARRC Endoro
1st 2003 AS NERRC and NARRC Championships

JohnRW
03-25-2004, 02:51 AM
Shouldn't you be in bed by now ????

As far as I know (and I talked to the race chair for the Nelson 12 Hour last week), there still are open slots available.

Nelson Ledges was significantly repaved last fall, after the racing season ended. NOBODY has any experience on the new pavement. But...

The Ledges has traditionally be easy on brakes (compared to some other tracks in NEDiv & CenDiv). There are IT guys who will run a whole season of racing on a single set of brakes. There are really only two real braking zones - into Oak Tree and at the end of the back straight, and you're not standing the car on it's nose in either (and if you do, it's going to be really exciting to watch, so tell us first). Tire wear has not been a problem there, since with the old bumpy pavement, you didn't spend much time on the ground.

It's not hard to learn. It's "subtle" to extract the last tenths out of, but it's not a hard track. Nelson has a core of regular racers, all of whom will tell you that it's the greatest place on Earth. Even those who aren't 'locals' will tell you that it's a great place to race (those people would include ME). It's kind of a dump, but it's a REALLY REALLY REALLY COOL dump. Major facility changes in the past year have only improve the place.

You will never fully understand SCCA club racing until you do a race at the Nelsonring.

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited March 25, 2004).]

p9
03-25-2004, 10:55 PM
Hey Ray,
I have to agree with John big time as far as liking the place. I have many miles around the 'ledges on a motorcycle, and I love the track layout-it was a bit bumpy though! Most guys and gals that race there-no matter the vehicle dis-like it. Except the locals of course! Also, easy on brakes and tires on bikes too. fast flowing track. I think the most critical parts are the Carousel and the bus stop. It is not a very technical circuit at all. Probably why I like it so much, it was the first track I raced on.

[This message has been edited by p9 (edited March 25, 2004).]

slackerjay
03-26-2004, 01:10 AM
i would agree with john...it isn't that bad on brakes. it's a fast track. tire problems may be a thing of the past with the new surface but untill we test there for the 12 we won't know..the track has been repaved (have not seen it first hand)if in fact they did the surface pavemant it should be a huge improvement. be careful of going off track as the non racing surface is rough and prone to rollovers. when we get out and test there i'll give an update...should be sometime in april.

JOHN...you doing the 12 @ HOMESTEAD??? it would be great to have a drink with you in the sunshine state,

~ j

MMiskoe
03-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Ray:

Talk to my dad, he has an intent to run in, but not enough drivers yet.

Yes, people do run slightly differently to get the distance out of the tires & brakes. On the Miata we avoid the Hoosiers as they don't have the lifespan of the Toyos which can handle 6 hours with ease. Brakes aren't a big deal, the car will go about 14 hours on fronts, 23.8 on rears. In the 24hr races that we did w/ it, we did one pad change up front and chewed our nails about the rears. We also practiced doing pad changes on a hot car. In 12 hour races we simply start w/ new ones. I have heard of people getting pads w/ more meat on them (if they will fit).

See you in a couple of weeks.

Matt

JohnRW
03-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by slackerjay:

JOHN...you doing the 12 @ HOMESTEAD??? it would be great to have a drink with you in the sunshine state,

~ j

Jay - Nope...I'm staying home, but the other John is still thinking about it. He's sniffing around for a co-driver.

You going to be at Summit Point this coming weekend for the Nat'l ? Got a couple of questions for you, if you are. I'll bring the beer. Been in a big thrash to get nose and tail section repaired, tasted fibreglass and paint all weekend. Hopefully, I won't bash it up in the first test day session on Friday (like I did at Sebring last year...).