PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have drybreak experience ?

stevewalsh
11-06-2003, 11:38 PM
I'm the crew chief for a team in the upcoming 25hr NASA enduro.
We have a Fuelsafe drybreak refueling rig, plus a few 11-gallon fuel cans. I want to fit drybreak nozzles to the gas (ala NASCAR) as a backup to the fuelrig.
What is usually used to couple the can to the nozzle (45 degree elbow - rubber, silicon?)

JohnRW
11-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Better check the Supps and the NASA enduro rulebook...last time I looked, they specifically excluded overhead fueling rigs and dump cans bigger than 5 gallons.

I've used both rubber hose and the clear reinforced plastic stuff (think "Home Depot") to adapt dump cans to fuel snouts. You'll probably have to neck it down, as the sizes won't match. I threaded the interior neck of our 11 gal. dump cans and installed PVC adapters (Home Depot again) to get everything to fit.

But...read the Supps. Each NASA Region selectively ignores parts of the enduro rules (I've done enduros where they completely ignore their own tire change & fueling rules...which is a good thing because they don't make any freaking sense), but since NorCal is the NASA mothership, they'll probably play by the book.

stevewalsh
11-08-2003, 01:53 AM
Thanx John.
We'll be running in the ES class. We aren't restricted in how, or how much fuel we can put in the car (except that the rig must be approved).
Threading the *inside* of the neck seems like it would restrict the flowrate. I was thinking more of a 45 degree molded elbow clamped over the outside of the fuel can neck, and the drybreak nozzle neck, held in place with2 pairs of hoseclamps.