PDA

View Full Version : roll call 8 hour VIR

slackerjay
06-06-2003, 09:14 AM
since there is no entry list available let's see who is going.

we will be running....

ITA CRX Si

Hahn63
06-06-2003, 09:48 AM
The Speed's Indoor Racing Mazda will NOT be able to make the call. A 2 week turn around for preparing the car after Summit is going to be just a little too short. Have never been to VIR but would love to go. Anyone have a seat open? Good luck to all that is going.

Roland
ITA 16
Mazda RX7

slackerjay
06-06-2003, 12:52 PM
i think JohnW has a seat open in a SSC nissan. he posts on this board..

sorry you can't make it..

~Jay

sgallimo
06-09-2003, 12:58 AM
Team Slow Moving Traffic will be campaigning the mighty fighting Pulsar, in all its splendid glory (plus one wrong colored fender). Forcing it along the ever darkening, rolling hills of Southern Virginia. We four shall stand proud and accept ALL challengers, regardless of breed or breeding - unless it can be proved that you have a faster steed or are quite mad enough to be actually throwing money at this event!

Just remember that if you start seeing moisture on your windshield, it may not be rain. Maybe the car in front of you has bigger tanks than its driver!

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

JeffYoung
06-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Go Scott, go. I'll be there that weekend for the test day and then Sunday's race. You guys need any help Saturday? More than happy to do what I can.

Paul
06-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Great Scott!
Who joined up with you and Rex?
Paul Hoecke
IT-7 #15

sgallimo
06-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by JeffYoung:
Go Scott, go. I'll be there that weekend for the test day and then Sunday's race. You guys need any help Saturday? More than happy to do what I can.

Jeff, we could really, really, really use your help Saturday!! I'll give you a call.

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

[This message has been edited by sgallimo (edited June 09, 2003).]

sgallimo
06-09-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Paul:
Great Scott!
Who joined up with you and Rex?
Paul Hoecke
IT-7 #15

John Mascho and Mark Senior. I'll call Ginny and see if we can pit beside you.

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

zracer22
06-09-2003, 09:22 PM
I'll be ther co-driving "The Joker" Porsche 944

mazing3
06-10-2003, 02:28 PM
James Clay and I will be there driving my new Hamster Powered Mobile. Should be fun.

Robbie
#16 SM/PSM

Paul
06-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Is that a two hamster version or the new three hamster prototype?

Paul Hoecke
IT-7 #15

zracer22
06-10-2003, 09:20 PM
I hope this situation improves before the weekend:

"FLOOD STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA
1135 AM EDT TUE JUN 10 2003

...A FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE DAN RIVER AT SOUTH BOSTON...

MINOR FLOODING IS OCCURRING AND EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH THIS
EVENING.

ALL LOCATIONS ABOVE SOUTH BOSTON HAVE RECEDED BELOW FLOOD
STAGE...WITH FALLING STAGES EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY
MORNING.

DAN RIVER AT SOUTH BOSTON
AT 11:00 AM TUESDAY THE STAGE WAS 23.7 FEET AND CRESTING.
FLOOD STAGE IS 19.0 FEET. AT SOUTH BOSTON...THE RIVER ROSE ABOVE
FLOOD STAGE AT 300 AM MONDAY. THE RIVER IS CRESTING AND WILL BEGIN
TO FALL BY EARLY AFTERNOON...FALLING BELOW FLOOD STAGE WEDNESDAY
MORNING.
THIS CREST COMPARES TO A PREVIOUS CREST OF 22.9 FEET ON OCT 1 1999.

DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH FLOODED AREAS...THE WATER MAY BE MUCH DEEPER
THAN YOU THINK.
STAY TUNED TO THE WEATHER CHANNEL AND WEATHER.COM FOR UPDATES."

sgallimo
06-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Wow! That ranks up there with the most physically demanding things I've ever done! But it was an absolute blast!!! The Pulsar (which I suppose is within a hair [hare] of being a tortoise) finished 16th, first in class (of the 1 ITC cars). The only problems were the heat taking me out after only one stint in the car and grinding through the pads and half of the piston on the front left until the piston fell out of the caliper. By far the hardest part was baking on pit road during all of the pit stops. The rain held off until after the race.

It was my first extended enduro and I can't wait to do it again! My thanks go out to all the workers, my 3 co-drivers, my 1 crew person, and the other competitors that help out. It was a really, really good time!

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

Hahn63
06-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Anyone have the results? Jay, how did you guys do?

Paul
06-19-2003, 02:16 PM
Results will not be posted for about a week because the webmaster is at the June Sprints. If you want them sooner I can email them to you. 22 cars started and 18 finished. No real incidents that I know of.
That was a blast Scott! I wish I had had my camera when Rex pulled that smoking ruin of a pad and piston off the car. Too bad the rain screwed up y'all's chance on the podium.
We had a great time. The Plum Crazy car went all 8 hours without a hitch. Only problem was those fumes towards the end. I am really looking forward to the 12 Hour format next year.

Paul Hoecke
IT-7 #15

Hahn63
06-19-2003, 02:29 PM
They are going to do a 12 hour next year? That would be great! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/cool.gif I just hope they will make it a little later in the month so that it isn't so close to Summit's 12 hour. A 2 week turn around is hard on the crew and the pocket book.

[This message has been edited by Hahn63 (edited June 19, 2003).]

Paul
06-19-2003, 03:46 PM
The tentative plan is to switch it for one of the region's dates in the Fall and make it a 12 Hour race. This one was a trial run for the region and the track.

Paul Hoecke
IT-7 #15

evanwebb
06-19-2003, 04:24 PM
Hey all, good job on making it through the 8 hours! I just didn't have time to get my ITC scirocco ready for it, but I hope to have "some" car ready for next year. If anyone needs a codriver for any other endurance events please let me know, I'd like to get some more experience with that format.

Hey Paul, we're testing your old Volvo for the first time this weekend at the NASA event at Summit Point! Woohoo!!!!!

mazing3
06-19-2003, 11:28 PM
yeah, I gotta chime in on the tiring aspect of that one. It was my first mega enduro. James and I shared it and even with coasting into the pits twice (once with a dislodged throttle cable and once with no gas left) we managed to somehow get through it all and take over 2nd place overall and 2nd in SM on the very last 20 minutes of the race. 8 hours of going at it and there is still drama at the end. It was awsome.

Great job on by the NCR. I will say there was a little extra hand holding and over nit picking on the officiating side of things in the pits but I guess they just wanted everything perfect on the first go of this thing.

I gridded up for the Pro Miata race the next day and could barely even keep the car on the track. Totally wiped out. Just bailed out and went home.

12 hours next year will definately have my entry form.

In true enduro form all the really fast cars, Vipers and ITS cars, broke. Slow and steady gets it done.

Lastly what in the F**K was that VIR Euro Rally POS doing out there??? Luckily for the rest of us he learned how to get out of the way after the first 4 hours.

Robbie
19 SM
16 PSM

Paul
06-20-2003, 09:16 AM
Good luck with the new toy Evan. Hope the weekend goes well.
Slow and steady. That was us. We lost a lot of our time on the stops. Slooow fueling, new radio setup, couple of seat adjustments... We learned what to improve for next time.
I don't know if that Euro Rally car was out an hour before they came in to change the clutch. That's right, drop that Sentra's tranny on pit road and do a clutch job.
The officials were attentive to all the teams on pit road. Every time there was a driver change an EV person would come by and check that all was well. That worked well since I heard that some SM driver colapsed after finishing his stint. I had to get out early also because my "fresh air" system started sucking gas/exhaust fumes after dark. Yuck.
Paul Hoecke
IT-7 #15

slackerjay
06-24-2003, 10:43 AM
we did good considering 2 of the 3 drivers had never been there before (me included). in the night practice we had a brake problem that we worked out by next morning. i did a few laps the next day to see the track and got hit with sound after about 4-5 laps. we called it there and waited for grid. we qualified 19..no biggy..it's a long race. the start was clean..at the end of my stint i got us to 7 overall. from there the small fuel tank killed us. the race was HOT..we had no problems and everyone raced clean. by the end of the race we ended 12 overall i think. it was a great time had by all and everone was tired. i hope next year there will be more cars...they need to move if later from summit 12 and i think it will add more entries.

~j

Hahn63
06-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Yea, moving it to a later date would be much better. They need to make sure to stay away from the Gingerman 10 hour and Homesteds 12. With the four races that would make for a great season! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Roland

sgallimo
06-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Hahn63:
Anyone have the results? Jay, how did you guys do?

Results are up on the NCR website:
http://www.ncrscca.com/Pdf/2003%20Results/...o%20-%20VIR.pdf (http://www.ncrscca.com/Pdf/2003%20Results/June%2015/8%20Hour%20Enduro%20-%20VIR.pdf)

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

Hahn63
06-27-2003, 09:06 AM
Thanks Scott!