PDA

View Full Version : Best Tires for an Enduro?

Stan
06-11-2003, 07:52 PM
I am still in the planning and thinking stage for running my Datsun 510 ITC in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill, and am wondering about suspension setup and tires. Folks recommend a setup that's "easy on tires", but what would that be in particular? Near stock OEM settings of a little toe-in (or straight), a very slight negative camber, etc., or something totally different? And which tires in your experience have given you the best service during enduros? On another thread here, civicrr (IIRC) mentioned that he was planning 10 tires total for the 25 Hours. That sound reasonable to you other experienced enduro guys?

TIA!

wlfpkrcn
06-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Hi Stan,

The last 2- 12 hours at Thunderhill we went thru each race on 1 set of full tread Toyo's. In 2001 it rained for half the day. When all was said and done I had a set of tires at 4/32. Still good for sprint racing. Last year was beautiful. 2 tires were wasted (it struggled to turn left at the end of the race) and the others are ok for a back-up. We ran the car in sprint race trim 4.5* camber 1/16 toe out. We were slow the first few hours. Then the tires started working good at about 1:00. They fell off the last 45 minutes. This year we will be running ES and probably take some camber out. We will also be running shaved tires if it's dry. We will be bringing 10-12 tires with us plus a set of full treads.Hope this helps and you come out and play.

Eric

[This message has been edited by wlfpkrcn (edited June 11, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by wlfpkrcn (edited June 11, 2003).]

wlfpkrcn
06-11-2003, 11:24 PM
I forgot the most imporatnt detail. The car. E2 RX7 in Pro7 trim (185/60r13). Got way outclassed by the Civic. In fact They outclassed everybody except a light weight M3. On the other hand we didn't do to bad. Top finishing RX7. 4th in class 12th overall. The key is not breaking down. We only had one unscheduled pitstop, for a loose gas cap.

E

Bill Miller
06-12-2003, 07:59 AM
Stan,

The Toyos will probably last longer than Kumhos (and will certainly last longer than Hoosiers). The 510 is a light car, so 2.5 - 3 sets might be enough. I don't know anything about TH, but come traks are harder on tires than others. Moroso seems to eat tires.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Stan
06-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm heading to Portland now for the Rose Cup and will read any further replies on Monday. Please do weigh-in with your experiences - good or bad!

TIA, Stan