PDA

View Full Version : Lights

wlfpkrcn
05-08-2003, 05:09 PM
What are guys doing for lights. Last time out we ran H4 headlights in the stock location and driving lights with H4 bulbs. It was definetly not enough light. I was looking at the Hella Xenon HID lights. Are they over kill? Is there better options? These lights are extremely expensive so there has to be some thing that works well more reasonably priced.FYI $600-700 each is what I have found them at.Thanks in advance.

Eric

PS- This is a first gen RX7

[This message has been edited by wlfpkrcn (edited May 08, 2003).]

MMiskoe
05-08-2003, 10:27 PM
All that I have ever run is 55 or 80W H4's in the stock lights & similar bulbs in driving lights and it is either enough or awful depending on how they are aimed. If they're in the wrong spot, doesn't matter how bright they are. Keep an eye on the total amperage.

Dave Zaslow
05-11-2003, 09:11 AM
I have done a fair amount of night racing and have talked to a Hella rep while we were standing at the wall watching the dancing lights. A pair of Hella 4000 series Euro Beam type lights with 100W bulbs would be the first priority. Long, full and wide pattern for general illumination. Then take your headlights and crank them out as far as they will go to cover corners. If you can afford another set Hella sells a 4000 series cornering light that does exactly what it says. These two sets will cost you less than $200 each on Ebay. Do remember that you do not want to run your alternator at more than 75% capacity for extended periods, and that a 100W bulb takes about 9 amps. Do not get any kind of "blue" or "white" bulbs, they have coatings that cut down on light output.

Have Fun!

Dave Zaslow

joeg
05-12-2003, 08:19 AM
Take it from an old rallyist, the HID technology is real neat. However, any and all auxiliary lighting needs solid mounting (pod or minimum of two point) which you must give the most thought and concern to.

You can replace your stock headlight swith some very High output H-4(s), but add relays and heavy wires.

Good luck

wlfpkrcn
05-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Thabks for the help guys. I was unaware there was different H4's available. I will try the higher wattage bulbs. I was also thinking of a light bar between the headlights with maybe 4 lights. Point the headlights to the outside to find the corners and the rest light up the track. Is 6 lights to many. I don't want to blind anybody, but I don't want to be short of light either. Thanks again for the advise.

E