PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard about the Florida 24?

Lawrence Mansier
11-01-2002, 09:29 PM
Has anyone heard anything about the 2003 Moroso 24 hour? Dates? Will it be at Moroso? Etc.? Last I heard it might be in May. Not confirmed, but probable.

Bruce
11-03-2002, 11:57 PM
I've been told that Moroso got greedy so that they are working on another site. It may only be a 12hr at the new site.

slackerjay
11-05-2002, 02:43 PM
i was told the same thing...it may be a 12 hour and possibly at homestead?

Lawrence Mansier
11-05-2002, 07:59 PM
Homestead! Anyone have an idea of the time of year? May? Thank you for the information!

slackerjay
11-06-2002, 10:44 AM
not sure the date yet, and the track is still in question. i have heard lots of things but nothing for sure. if i hear anything i'll let you know.

is it true?? there is a NASA race in feb that is a 4 hour??

~Jay

Lawrence Mansier
11-06-2002, 01:07 PM
Yes, there is a 300 mile (4 hour) enduro at VIR. They are using the full course! The Ohio/Indiana region will also have a few more enduros, mostly 3-4 hours during the year. IF we get Mid-Ohio in April, we will hold one there, and others at BeaveRun, Nelson Ledges, and perhaps Putnam Park in October.

JohnRW
11-06-2002, 01:40 PM
http://www.nasaracing.net/2003.shtml

Jay - NASA-VA did a 200 miler last Feb at VIR. I think there were 35+ cars on-track - no mandatory driver change so John and I did it solo - he won SSC and I won ProSedan-3 (whatever the hell that is...)(Edwin - are we annoying enough ???). It was a very nice weekend, and it looks like they've expanded it. Don't know what their supps will say about # of drivers, but we've both double-stinted for 3.5+ hours before (in the middle of the freakin night), so maybe we'll see if we can run it solo. Gotta wait till the supps are posted...

(what car are you bringing to SP in two weeks ? Rumors of 5+ SSC cars there, if the usual suspects show up)

slackerjay
11-06-2002, 05:45 PM
we'll be running the yellow CRX again....just have to get some new lights as the last ones didn't make it thru the tumble. the car is just about prepped and ready once again....

~J

Edwin Robinson
11-06-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
http://www.nasaracing.net/2003.shtml

he won SSC and I won ProSedan-3 (whatever the hell that is...)(Edwin - are we annoying enough ???).
(what car are you bringing to SP in two weeks ? Rumors of 5+ SSC cars there, if the usual suspects show up)

We all like to talk about the 'Glory Days', right?

That's OK - I'd have to make room on the trophy shelf anyway- the first place trophies from The 10 hour and the three-hour have me sort of filled up!

~E.

JohnRW
11-07-2002, 11:31 AM
Like a trout to a fly, Edwin...like a trout to a fly.....

slackerjay
11-07-2002, 12:47 PM
you guys crack me up...

Lawrence Mansier
11-17-2002, 08:11 PM
Just checked out www.floridaregionscca.com (http://www.floridaregionscca.com) . Seems Moroso is out, and Homestead may be in for a 12 hour the weekend after Memorial Day. Isn't the Summit Point 12 hour that weekend?

LM
Who is dissapointed not to be going to EMRA's 4 hour at Summit next weekend! Good luck to all that are going.

Lawrence Mansier
11-20-2002, 08:40 PM
Just got the word. The Florida 24 is now the Homestead 12 hour (not the title). It will be May 30-31, 2003. Practice and Qualifying on Friday, race starts at 9:30 Saturday. Sounds like the 12 hours may be the same weekend? Anyone have 100% confirmation on the Summit 12 hour date?

dickita15
11-21-2002, 09:25 AM
summit 12 hour is listed as may 31 - jun 1

Bildon
11-21-2002, 04:23 PM
Well that's rather unfortunate to say the least. Do the parties from each race realize this?

Any word on resurecting a 24hr race?
Racing for 24hours was truly an experience I'll never forget.

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment

slackerjay
11-21-2002, 06:02 PM
i don't think they know that summit fell on the same weekend. i talked to someone today from the southeast region and it was news to them, although i was told that was the only available date. it may still have to be approved by the big people at HQ and they may know of the conflict and not allow it.

i hope they can work it out...it isn't the 24 hour but they are trying to accomodate us the best they can.

Hahn63
11-22-2002, 12:08 PM
With the towing distance aside I would go to Summit. They (WDC) are better organized than the Florida region. Heck at the last Moroso 24 hour I was in the registration line @ 8am and didn't get to the window until 1pm! They had about 40 people still standing in line at noon and they close registration for lunch. We missed our morning practice ...not good. I would really like to do both ...I hope that it can be work out.

Mazda ITA #6

slackerjay
11-22-2002, 02:01 PM
i think that was one of the issues in moving the date...they had trouble staffing the event because of the holidays. i know alot of people had problems with registration..and a few other things but lets not forget they are volunteers and they are giving their time FOR US. the region is trying to make things better in that regard by moving the date to make things run smooth.

if the dates are the same they will lose alot of the "regulars" who do the enduro circuit because of the towing to south florida. the 24 hour will be missed by all who have participated...given more time and resources i'm sure it will be back.

Hahn63
11-25-2002, 05:32 PM
I didn't mean it to sound like I was hammering the volunteers workers. Believe me I'm not...without them we wouldn’t get to play!! The registration problem last year was a long story that I won't get into but I will say that the head of registration was offered lots of help (mine included) and it was turned down. I have worked corners and registration as well as T&S. I understand what these great workers do for us. Moving on...

Maybe we can get the 24 Hours of Nelson resurrected? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif Any thoughts?

Lawrence Mansier
11-25-2002, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately, Nelson will not allow a 24 hour again. However, NASA OH/IN will be holding another Enduro there in 2003. Length is to be decided, but we could run as long as 6 hours. In 2002 we ran 200 miles and had a blast. Please post your opinion on what length race you would like to see!

slackerjay
11-26-2002, 11:25 AM
what length?? the longer the better!!! if we can get a six hour that would be great....anything at night would be better. if nelson got a good enduro race it may put some energy back into the track and bring many people. you might have to rebuild the car afterwards but i would still do it.

keep up the good work lawrence

~jay

Hahn63
11-26-2002, 12:30 PM
6 Hours at night......sign me up!!

Lawrence Mansier
11-26-2002, 10:28 PM
We just spoke with Nelson Ledges about the possibility of running 6 hours, and having a portion at night. Running 6 hours is not a problem. Running at night may pose a few issues. The pit lane lighting is not currently working. A suggestion was made to run it 3-9. That way it would run from daylight to twilight to nightlight, with pit stops being made mostly in the light, and perhaps some supplemental lighting brought in. What are your thoughts? We have also sent emails to Lake Erie Communications to make them aware of the event, and hopefully attract their services on the weekend to supplement ours.