PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Division Enduro Series

imported_Webmaster
10-31-2002, 06:46 PM
There has been some discussion lately of an enduro series in the Northeast Division. This would be a series all on its own (separate from NYSRRC, NARRCS, NERRC, or MARRS) geared to giving the enduros in our division some consistency and the chance to earn points towards year end trophies. But it won't succeed without the support and backing of the individual regions. We hope to discuss this further this weekend at the MiniConvention in Maryland. If you would like to see such a series created, please contact your RE and/or competition board chairman to let them know. It needs your input!

------------------
Webmaster - www.ImprovedTouring.com (http://www.ImprovedTouring.com)
http://www.ImprovedTouring.com/images/it_sig.gif

Tim
10-31-2002, 11:35 PM
I am just finishing my first season of racing this weekend with the EMRA enduro at Lime Rock. Ran the 3 hour there in July and loved it. I would do more if they were on the schedule.

Nothing like consistent lapping to learn the track.

thanks tim

Knestis
10-31-2002, 11:37 PM
Sounds great!

Kirk

therooster
11-02-2002, 06:45 PM
A northeast enduro series sounds good. I think that it would encourage members with cars that might not be the "car of the year" in a some classes to try thier hand at winning in a different area.(for example while the Mazda Miata may not be great for an ITS sprint race, it will hold its own in an enduro.)
Lets try and expliot the advantages of different cars. Oh wait this might open a new can of worms. Do I get the right car for sprints or enduros? Are they the same?Probably not.
How about it Steve and Ray? I think that our cars would do good in these type of events. Lets give it a try.

(edit spelling)

[This message has been edited by therooster (edited November 02, 2002).]

Karl Bocchieri
11-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Yes do it, love enduro's, great track time.
As a NE driver I would go for it.

RSTPerformance
11-04-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by therooster:
A northeast enduro series sounds good. I think that it would encourage members with cars that might not be the "car of the year" in a some classes to try thier hand at winning in a different area.(for example while the Mazda Miata may not be great for an ITS sprint race, it will hold its own in an enduro.)
Lets try and expliot the advantages of different cars. Oh wait this might open a new can of worms. Do I get the right car for sprints or enduros? Are they the same?Probably not.
How about it Steve and Ray? I think that our cars would do good in these type of events. Lets give it a try.

(edit spelling)

[This message has been edited by therooster (edited November 02, 2002).]

I would love to see an Enduro series!! The cos can be much less if you devide it up between drivers. this would make me vote for the mandatory five min. stops that way we would have the opportunity to swap drivers and keep the cost down.

And yah for the most part I think our car would be ok. I wouldn't trust the wheel bearings and hubs more than 1 or so events, and those tires... ick with 1700lbs on the front wheels they love to eat tires!! But heck German cars run forever...when they run correctly! We placed 2nd at WG and it was our first time ever at the track with old Kuhmo victoracers so we where pleased and had a blast doing it!

Stephen

JohnRW
11-04-2002, 12:34 PM
Very positive and productive meeting at the NEDiv MiniCon on Saturday re: Enduro Series. Looks like it'll include nearly every track in the division, and not have to rely on stand-alone scheduling (i.e. they'll be run as part of existing Regionals).

Major direction has formed, details still in the 'hashing' state. Contact your RE or Competition Board with your input. Speak now...no bitching allowed next summer.

RSTPerformance
11-06-2002, 11:02 AM
I agree with my brother that we SHOULD have an enduro series... (Not the OMP thing) I loved the enduros that we competed in... WG was the best, there is a different atmosphere when your entire paddock spot is placed on Pit Lane!!! Lime Rock wasn't the best event (for us) but we did learn a lot. Overall the event at Lime Rock was awsome and I think we would have done very well it was just the accident that stunk... I do think however unmuffled enduro's are better as more people would be able to run. I also like the 5 minute minimum pit stops (2 in a 3 hr) I also think 3 hrs is a good length but I would like to see one 6 hr!!! Our Audi's I think are great cars as long as you do the necessary preventive maintenance before the event!!!

Raymond
RST Performance Racing

OH PS: Be sure to keep the cost as low as possible!!!

racer-025
11-06-2002, 11:24 AM
If an enduro series were to be created at LRP, I would be interested in bringing down 1 of my IT cars from Canada to compete. It sounds good.

dickita15
11-06-2002, 05:06 PM
I am the race chair for the muffled enduro that ner runs at lime rock. if everything can be worked out we will add our event to any series. I would also like to make it a longer race in the future.
raymond I wish lrp could be unmuffled but there are no dates available without cancelling a regional or national. besides it could be worse, you could be driving a mazda.
dick

therooster
11-06-2002, 08:05 PM
I hope you mean just the Mazda RX7. I have crewed for an ITS Miata in the LRP 3 Hr (x1) the Summit Point 12 hr (1 car x2 and at one event helped 3 (ITS/SM and SSB) different Miata teams all finishing pretty good) and Longest Night 24 (x2). In must circumstances they finished better than expected for the class and all were well under any sound limits.

imported_Webmaster
11-07-2002, 09:44 AM
PROPOSED NEDiv ENDURO SERIES:

Due to interest shown by many drivers in Enduro races, and to “put some structure and consistency to another fun, but different, aspect of the sport” we respectively propose the following series:

1. An enduro series consisting of enduros already being offered by the regions in the Northeast Division that meet the following criteria:
a. Any pit stop involving the opening of the fuel cell or a driver change must last a minimum of two minutes.
b. Enduro must be a minimum of one hour in length.
c. Certain classes must be included (i.e. allowed) – AS, ITA, ITB, ITC, ITS, SSB, SSC, SM, SRX7, and T2
d. There must be a mandatory meeting with the Chief Steward of at least one driver and one crew member from each car/team.
e. Refueling by D.O.T. style dump style cans only with no overhead rigs allowed.

2. Series points
a. Points earned for first, second, third, etc. to be determined by the enduro administrative team.
b. Points earned would be the same for each enduro, regardless of length.
c. Points would be earned by the car/team.
d. Year end trophies for class champions only, with only one trophy per car/team.

3. Administration
a. This series would be self-supporting, with all administrative costs and trophies to come from assessments received from regions hosting enduros.
b. The host region would be assessed $10 per car/team on course for that enduro.
c. Since this would be a division wide series, it would be administered by the NESCCA steering committee and/or NEDiv Council, thus utilizing the treasurer and pointskeeper(s) already in place.

Such a series could benefit regions by attracting more drivers to their enduro races. The criteria are minimums only – it is up to the host region to supplement the minimum criteria if they so choose. Those criteria are required only for those enduros that are to be eligible for series points, and this series does not require any region to host an enduro.

Presented by Marie Sheehe Heacox at the NEDiv Council Meeting held during the NEDiv MiniConvention on November 3, 2002 at Rockville, MD

Background to Enduro Series proposal:

Informal discussions held during the summer of 2002 by those interested in enduro races led to a meeting held on September 14, 2002 at Watkins Glen International (the Saturday evening of Finger Lakes Region’s “Fun One”). The purpose of that meeting was to discuss the considerations and logistics of an enduro series in the Northeast Division. Drivers, officials, NEDiv Directors, NEDiv’s Chief Executive Steward, and any other interested parties were invited. Present at that meeting were Roy Bergman, George Bloeser, Judy Bloeser, Bob Burns, Tom Campbell, Chuck Dobbs, Jack Hanifan, Marie Heacox, Alan Lesher, and John Walsh.

That meeting was very productive, with format, classes, points structure, funding, and administration as the topics of discussion. The initial point made and agreed upon by all was that such a series would require the support of the Regional Executives in the division. At the end of the meeting a list was made of the criteria, points system, and administration that had been agreed upon. It was decided to meet again in October to discuss these topics, and to include the RE’s and Competition Board Chairmen from the regions in the Northeast Division.

Due to other commitments of the “secretary” of this group (M. Heacox), that October meeting did not occur. Instead, a meeting was scheduled during the NEDiv MiniConvention in Rockville, MD. It was a closed meeting held during the afternoon of November 2nd and included only Regional Executives and their Comp Board Chairman (or their representatives), with the questions raised by the September meeting as the agenda. The main consensus was that while certain criteria must be met for a race to be eligible for the enduro series and to keep a certain level of consistency to the series, much of its planning and execution must remain with the region sanctioning the race.

The criteria were kept to a minimum, leaving the supplemental regulations of each enduro up to that region. For example, while the inclusion of certain classes was mandatory, no classes were excluded. A minimum duration of one hour was agreed upon even though some felt that was not long enough to be considered an “enduro.” But it was recognized that some regions would not be able to hold a race of any longer duration due to time constraints imposed by track management. It was also agreed that all enduros in the series, regardless of length, would earn the same number of points. This was done to encourage drivers to also participate in the shorter enduros, thus benefiting all regions offering enduros.

The agreement at the end of this meeting was that there was enough interest in an enduro series in the Northeast Division and that it was possible given the agreed upon criteria, points structure, and administration. It was decided to present a proposal of a NEDiv Enduro Series to the NEDiv Council. This proposal was presented to that council the following day, November 3rd, and was unanimously approved.

------------------
Webmaster - www.ImprovedTouring.com (http://www.ImprovedTouring.com)
http://www.ImprovedTouring.com/images/it_sig.gif

dickita15
11-07-2002, 11:13 AM
[quote]Originally posted by therooster:
[B]I hope you mean just the Mazda RX7.

yes i should have been more specific.
it's beter to be rotary than pis'ton
(except when you need to be muffled)

RSTPerformance
11-08-2002, 11:50 AM
I do not need to wory about this on my car but I am wondering if the any scca series could hold muffled and un muffled events all counting towards points, and/or if events could be added that might be muffled??? I have noticed that their are NO muffled SCCA regional races that count towards the points series... Also note that an event was added last year in NER (Thank you) after the season started... (it was unmuffled and I believe that was a factor when adding it). Because in NER unmuffled dates are hard to find could it be possible that someone in the hunt for a series champiionship could loose because a muffled event (that their car couldn't meet requirements) was added??? Again this is not a problem for me Ia m just wondering...

Raymond

dickita15
11-08-2002, 05:21 PM
raymond i understand you concern but what can you do. actually all nhis events run at a lower sound level, maybe they should not count.

RSTPerformance
11-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by dickita15:
raymond i understand you concern but what can you do. actually all nhis events run at a lower sound level, maybe they should not count.

I think what Raymond was asking was IF a region like NER is ALLOWED to hold an event at 89 Db and count it towards points. I think he was asking this because he was wondering if this was a limiting factor in creating the enduro series.... if it is that is unfourtunate. I feel pretty comfortable that anyone could keep there car under 89 Db if they had to and I would love to see an enduro series if possible!!

Stephen

RSTPerformance
11-11-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by dickita15:
it's beter to be rotary than pis'ton

I couldn't help but think of your comment when I saw the new Mazda comercial last night. They show a history of several mazdas from different era's all winning some type of championship and throughout the comercial they mention how they never threw a rod, broke a valve, ect. Then they show some type of image of the insides of a rotary engine. Very amusing because 80% of the population won't understand the comercial at all but will still like it since they won all those championships. I certainly thought it was a good ad!
Stephen

dickita15
11-16-2002, 11:52 AM
The ner lime rock 3 hour may not happen. we are still trying but as of now the only date lime rock will give us is april 5th. too early
dick

lateapex911
11-16-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
I couldn't help but think of your comment when I saw the new Mazda comercial last night. They show a history of several mazdas from different era's all winning some type of championship and throughout the comercial they mention how they never threw a rod, broke a valve, ect. Then they show some type of image of the insides of a rotary engine. Very amusing because 80% of the population won't understand the comercial at all but will still like it since they won all those championships. I certainly thought it was a good ad!
Stephen

I've seen the ad. Nice to see Mazda reminding us of it's "Heritage" and unique history. The company is may be small, but it has courage, and has pushed the engineering "envelope" since the begining. The only Japanese company to win LeMans as well. As the Brits would say, "Good on 'em!" Or is that the Aussies???

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]