PDA

View Full Version : When to pit - strategy?

Jake
11-01-2002, 11:57 AM
Late to ask, but I'm doing my very first Enduro tomorrow. It's only a one hour, and I'll be the sole driver. Since my car won't need anything (I'll have plenty of gass etc.) all I need to do is to stop and get my butt out of the car and back into it as quickly as possible sometime in the one hour period. Should I plan on pitting early, late, in the middle? What is a good plan? Should I try to wait for a double yellow?

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited November 01, 2002).]

Knestis
11-01-2002, 12:48 PM
Make sure you know what the rule really says. In some enduros, I have seen them close the pits during full-course yellows or not count stops during these periods as the mandatory one. Read the rules very critically before you make your decision. If you CAN stop during a yellow, you probably should do so - otherwise those who do will potentially make time on you.

If you can't use the yellow, I would think NOT stopping at the beginning, unless you find that you are being held up by someone who sneaks in front of you or you catch. Lap times later in the race will TEND to be lower, as cars tire out and traffic becomes an issue. Admittedly, in an hour (what the heck kind of enduro is that, anyway? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif ) the effect won't be huge but that is the only thing that makes sense to me.

There is, however, a bigger issue - your position relative to the overall leader. That could really change your strategy if/when there is a full yellow and IF the pace car picks up the OA leader. There are a variety of permutations so you may need to have someone in the pits trying to keep track of things, so a reactive decision can be made.

Frankly, I think mandatory stops are silly. Set a time and turn 'em loose. If it isn't long enought to require a stop, it isn't an enduro. But that's just me.

Have fun!

Kirk

Jake
11-01-2002, 01:03 PM
Thanks. This is with EMRA, it was supposed to be a 2hr Enduro, but LRP doesn't like us driving in dusk - so now it's only an hour. We promised to watch out for trick-or-treaters! I am allowed to pit at ANYTIME other than a red or black flag. I think towards the end might also be better because as the field spreads out I'll be passed by less cars. If I pit in the first lap, I'll be passed by the entire field. After 45 minutes, I may only get passed by a few cars on my lap. Logical?

JohnRW
11-01-2002, 01:22 PM
Slime Rock is 60 seconds a lap. You're gonna lose a lap or more, regardless of how long you stop for. You're also ALWAYS going to be in traffic there, since the place if so short.

Plan on saving the stop 'til later. If you have a mechanical need to stop early (loose wheel, full bladder, etc.), THAT becomes your required stop. If you don't have a problem, then make your 1 stop late.

And make sure you tilt your mirrors down so you can spot Charlie's yellow Spec Racers. They're fast and they'll suddenly appear below your elbows at corner entry.

Knestis
11-01-2002, 01:56 PM
Good ideas there. A sports racer in an enduro that I ran once put a light on a pole (like on a boat) so there would be something poking up to see!

K

Greg Gauper
11-01-2002, 06:32 PM
Check your supps!!!!

Good example in this months fast track COA regarding someone who was waiting to pit near the end of a race and then got screwed cause the race ended under a full course yellow and pit stops during yellows were not permitted.

That said, if there was something major that happened on track that doesn't result in full course but drastically slows the cars down i.e. somebody puking an engine in one or more corners or a passing cloudburst that goes as quickly as it comes, then pit. Let the other guys drive thru the crud. They'll be going slower so you wont lose as much distance, plus they'll be cleaning/drying the track while you are stopped.

Of course if everybody pits when this happens, then it is no longer an advantage.

Edwin Robinson
11-01-2002, 10:18 PM
One hour? Sounds like a sprint race to me! ;^)

Do your stop after the check and have fun!

~E.

Knestis
11-02-2002, 12:01 AM
Ooooh! Never been to LR so I don't know - is pit-out before or after the S/F line? If before, time your stop so that you do it right before the checkers fly. You can squirt across the line and not have to use up a bunch of time getting back to speed! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

K

Tim
11-05-2002, 12:12 AM
Jake, you know I withdrew from the enduro but was thinking about this, if i ran the whole hour with no need to stop i would not stop and take the 100 second penalty, about a lap and a half give or take. I figured it would take me more then 100 secs to get unbuckled get out , wave to whoever and get back strapped in safely and off again. the penalty would be a prize!

Jake
11-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Tim - yeah, I was wondering about that too. I'll have to look again at my video, but I think I did my stop in less time than that. I'm pretty sure I could see scott before and after the pit - so I probably lost about 70 seconds or so pitting.