PDA

View Full Version : Roebling double win

Ron
07-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Well the mustang did great this weekend at Roebling. I will say that there was only a few ITB cars there some things were fairly light. In Saturdays race the question was rains or slicks. I chose rains and all worked out well. I was able to establish a 20 second lead and then back off and take it home. On Sunday right before qualifing, we found the crank pulley was cracked and had to skip it to repair it. Starting from the back we were able to push up to the front.
All in all a great weekend of testing and racing. I think we will have a great setup for the championship race in the fall.
One lat thing, Marcello, where were you?

Ron

bobpink
07-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Well done Ron!

So when are you going to start marketing the "cheater" kit for Mustang owners who wish to run up front and win in ITB?

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude

manny
07-11-2005, 12:40 PM
hey ron, good run. i also run an ITB mustang and was wondering are you running an EFI set up or is it carbed?

Rabbit07
07-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Congrats on the win. It is always nice to hear of other Mustangs that win! I look like less of a cheater that way..

Chris Childs
07 ITB Mustang Cendiv

SilverHorseRacing
07-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Ron,

Congratulations on the wins. A few things came together this weekend to put the "kabash"(sp?) on us being there. First and foremost a herniated L-5 disc that is just now making progress with the chiropractor doing his magic 3 times a week for 6-7 weeks now... started out as pain in my leg, then after the doctors and tests....I hate getting older.

Anyway, that, coupled with us not knowing what the storm was up to this weekend, and my crew chief unexpectedly losing his wife a few weeks ago, and it just wasn't in the cards.

We're shooting for Daytona in a few weeks (if Emily doesn't make a mess of the east coast) and should have some game for you so you don't feel alone in October.

FWIW, I was pretty upset all weekend that I was here, and not there, and figured you would be having fun at my expense http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif !

BTW, what times did you run in the dry, and were David or Paul there?

------------------
-Marcello Canitano
www.SilverHorseRacing.com (http://www.SilverHorseRacing.com)

Ron
07-11-2005, 10:51 PM
We run a carb and yes Bob we offer the special "cheater kit" of sorts, I will tell anyone our set up. I have not forgotten your project at your house we are just behind in work and we will get to you soon.
Marcello I hate that your back is acting up, been there that sucks! We ran 1:39 to 1:43 in the rain and an even 1:28s in the race. I ran a real heavy spring package. 1100 in the front and 450 in the rear. I think I may have found the limit. The car was a little skitish. I did not feel I had the control that was there back in April.
There were very few front running cars there. The Golfs from FLA stayed away. There was another mustang there and some how he was shifting 3 gears on the front strait. One at pit entrance, another before the start finish line and again after the start finish line. Could that be that "other" gear box that we discussed with maybe a .91 5th with a 4.10 rear end. I have seen a .91 5th advertised from an after market transmission company. I ran against that car at Road Atlanta and down the back strait he flat out walked away from me time and time again until I stuck it inside of him at one and was able to put some distance on him through the turns.
And when someone question the motor I pull out the Dino sheets from the motor Dino from our last rebuild and show them we are still below 150 HP. I could hardly pull the fast ITC cars down the front strait. The car just handles great. Ask Will Perry the multi time ITC champ. he and I ran together and after the race he commented on how smooth the car is in the turns.

Ron

SilverHorseRacing
07-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Ron,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, cheater kits they need not be. Our old car only dynoed at 137, and it was a good runner.

3 gears on the front straight? I will have to check some of my older video to see if I was doing a 4-5 shift, or a 3-4-5 shift, and that was with no cheater trans. I remember doing the 4-5 shift at start/finish, but don't remember if I came off of 9 in the top of 3rd, or already well into 4th. I think it was 4th, but I have to check on that... Anyway, a .91 5th would not be enough with a 4.10 unless you could rev to 8k. My old car would hit the limiter in 5th at Daytona, and I think it was close at Roebling near the end of the straight as well, that's with the .79, of course our old car's limiter was 6k, but that's EFI for you, pre-motec days.

That's a lot of spring to run in the car, although it will control camber loss in the corner. I'm at 850-900, and just don't see the need for more. You lose so much steady-state compliance that I think it negates the benefit, but if it works for you, go for it!

Finally... I just want the race car to handle like the 05 we got. The 05 is SO much more car, and can just plain out walk the Fox body car. The amount of modification to a Fox to make it run with an S197 would make a GT car, not an IT car! If you get the chance to "drive" one hard, you will be impressed. A corvette it is not, but it's the best Mustang Ford has ever built.

------------------
-Marcello Canitano

manny
07-12-2005, 12:29 PM
hey guys, if i may ask what size front sway bars are you running? also ron what other tracks do you run at? i've run with marcello when i lived in florida and yes i wish i had his corner speeds, darn.hey marcello hope all is getting better for you.hows that little guy of yours doing? next gen racer!

Ron
07-12-2005, 04:12 PM
We run a nascar 1.25 inch bar (solid) with the splined ends and aluminium arms with heim joints for the end links. We built it this winter and what a difference it made in steady state cornering. We have 4 different size bars to run. I would have to look at my notes to find out the exact rate that we are running, as the end links are adjustable along with the size of the bar. We have the M&M adjustable rear bar but we have it disconneted.
I agree that the spring rate is too high I just wanted to see how far I could go. I need to study the data logger information to see what we gained or lost.
On the track question we mostly run at Road Atlanta because I live in the area and Roebling Road in Savannah because my parents have a house on the coast just south of Savannah. Also, The car runs great at Roebling, we are still trying to find the right combination for Road Atlanta. We have run up at VIR a few times also.

SilverHorseRacing
07-14-2005, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by manny:
hey guys, if i may ask what size front sway bars are you running? also ron what other tracks do you run at? i've run with marcello when i lived in florida and yes i wish i had his corner speeds, darn.hey marcello hope all is getting better for you.hows that little guy of yours doing? next gen racer!

Hey Manny, he's good. It's his little sister that keeps me up all night! She just turned 1, and is a terror. As to corner speeds, as Ron will attest, at Savannah a couple months back it was all I had left!

Hoepfully the new combo will put us back in the game.

------------------
-Marcello Canitano