PDA

View Full Version : Distributor end play

Dick Elliott
06-17-2004, 07:24 PM
I need to know what the ideal end play in a 2.3 Pinto distributor should be. And where can you get the necessary shims? Thanks.

bill f
06-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Dick,

I believe the amount of end play is inconsequential. The reason is that the distributor is pushed up against the distributor housing when turning, and contained by the block when installed into the block.

Therefore, I believe, the motion is unable to be measured with the distributor out of the engine.

Help any?

Bill

Dick Elliott
06-29-2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks Bill! The reason I was wondering was, I have 6 (2.3L) distributors, and all of them have different end play. A mallory has about 1/4 the end play of a stock distributor. Just looking for some more Ford performance out of my Pinto.

bill f
07-13-2004, 09:49 AM
Dick,

I'm sorry to have waited so long to respond. I wanted to offer the suggestion to use the TFI unit from the newer 2.3 (F.I.) if you are racing. It is the essence of K.I.S.S., in that it also has fixed timing. You only set it for max ignition timing, and go. Three wire hook-up. Starting is no problem when you use a "technique" (NASCAR actually).

Good racing.

Bill

Dick Elliott
07-13-2004, 05:48 PM
BILL!
Thanks for the reply. I've got two of the TFI distributors and the wireing diagram you sent me. Thank you again. Even they have different end play. Also why is the shaft longer where it drives the oil pump? Do I need a different pump? With the "E" coil do you need to vent the distributor cap or taper the contact on the rotor? Sorry for all the questions, but your the man. Thanks again.
DICK

bill f
07-15-2004, 01:14 PM
"Also why is the shaft longer where it drives the oil pump? Do I need a different pump? With the "E" coil do you need to vent the distributor cap or taper the contact on the rotor? Sorry for all the questions."

I'm not sure of the "why" of the longer shaft, but the extra lenght simply slips over the oil pump drive shaft. As long as the distributor housing is flush with the block surface (where it is clamped down to the block), it should be fine.

I've never altered the cap in any way, so I'd have to answer "no" to the part about the cap and rotor. All of these components were engineered to work together, and they have on my applications.

As to being sorry...I always thought this type of discussion was the reason for anyone's participation in this type of forum. I'm glad to offer information, as I'm anxious as well to have someone elses knowledgeable answers to my questions. Mine are now primarily about other car types.

Hope this helps.

Good racing.

Bill