PDA

View Full Version : Tire questions - Track Record too

Joe Craven
04-29-2004, 02:43 PM
I had a so so weekend at Thunderhill, the highlight being that I broke the ITB track record set in 1999. Unfortunately, I had a poor race and I went 2 seconds/lap slower on Goodyear GSCS that had only been broken in and used in 1 race. They didn't seem to work well in the race either.

During qualify, I used 2+ year old Hoosier 206/60-13 R3SO3s with 8 heat cycles. I went faster than both the qualify and track records.

For the race, I put on my 1 heat cycle Goodyear 205/60-13 GSCS and they sucked. I went 2 seconds per lap slower than I did with my 8 heat cycle Hoosiers which are also 2+ years old.

BTW, I bought the Goodyears from Bob Woodman tires in South Carolina several months ago and they sent me tires that were made in 2002. After mounting them, they look like they are just about to weather crack on the sides so I'm wondering if the tires were just too old or were stored in the sun?

At this point, I'm thoroughly disgusted with Goodyears so I plan to move back to Hoosiers. My competitors are successfully using Goodyears so they must be good for others.

Joe Craven
ITB Capri (soon to be Hoosiers)
ITA/PS2 Capri (NASA w/Toyos)

lobster
04-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Joe the real life of a racing tire is 3 years (about) from when they were built. last # tells you the year etc if they are cracking i would bet they are junk Glenn more info to follow soon

Joe Craven
04-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Anybody want to buy some slightly used 205-60-13 Goodyears? Only 2 heat cycles - cheap!

lobster
04-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Joe about 3-4 years for race tires and 7 for street tires is the norm now. I wonder where he stored these "new" tires? The last three # tell a lot about tires 123 would mean 12th week of 2003. Those hoosiers sure are a bi 205/60r13 boy they work really well. Glenn