PDA

View Full Version : IT-B Pinto just posted on E-Bay

Dick Elliott
03-17-2004, 03:35 AM
By it now for $1200.00 on E-Bay on the Ford Pinto site. #2467484833.I've seen worse for more money.Car dates back to the B-Sedan days.

lobster
03-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Dick, That Pinto does look pretty good and what a spares list!!! I would love to be able to run in vintage with a Pinto here on the west coast!!! Still hoping to find out what happened to Reggie Reeds '71 (green) Pinto.
Glenn

Dick Elliott
03-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Glenn!
Didn't take long to get sold. I saw several items on the car that made me wonder what tech was thinking when they let this car run.1st, there's no wireing under the hood. 2nd the cage has two extra down tubes just before the fuel cell. 3rd, the back bumper is moved foward up to the body. 4th, the battery is not tie'd down. 5th, the dash is complety new from sheet metal with a dash cover on top. Still, it was worth every dollar for just the spares. Hope it shows up some day.Put early sheet metal (74/76)on your car and clame its a 74 which is legal in most vintage groups. You might have to go 2.0L buts thats no big deal as they out hp 2.3L all the time.Go for it.A 74 is legal because its the same as 71/73.You could run with the B-sedan club on the left coast. DICK

bill f
04-10-2004, 10:30 PM
Dick,

Incidentally, I just found out that the Pinto on e-Bay that you drew attention to was....

Mine.

I built it in 1975 as a BS car, and have been in contact with the new owner, looking for historical information. What a rush to know what had happened to the car that I spent time and sweat on.

I sold it as a BS car, with many spares, and some of the most impossible design stuff on it. It was on the road for less than a year, then built into what was to be a professional "under 2.5 liter TransAm car" by a local car dealer. Project was aborted, the car left a derelect, and finally I got it.

I don't know what shape it is in now, but the components were all first class, as was the construction of the cage. I'm trying to sell the Webers and maniford for it now (45DCOE).

Thought you'd like to know.

Bill

Joe Craven
04-11-2004, 02:33 AM
Dick, roll cage bars are legal if they are attached to the rear shackles of the leaf springs.

I see the other stuff you are referring to. Anyways, glad to hear that it is going to a good home.

Dick Elliott
04-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Joe and Bill!
Small world isn't it? The bars I,m talking about are before the cell. Looks like theres two before the cell and two after or to each side of the cell, for a total of 4 rearward braces to the main hoop. 2 were probily add'd after Bill built it. DICK

bill f
04-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Actually, the placement is not specified. In our newest ITB Mustang, we chose the spring perch, rather than the shock mounting point.

The cage was actually built before I got the car. There is another irregularity that was built into it, too.

It was an 8500 RPM tiger, using a Ford cam (over the parts counter).

Bill

Dick Elliott
04-13-2004, 05:37 PM
BILL!
Why did you pick a Mustang over a Pinto? Same basic engine in both, but the Mustang must carry several 100 lbs more. On a short track, the Pinto s/b faster with less weight. I know Pintos are getting hard to find, but not that hard. What gives? DICK

Kazoo
04-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Dick,
I can answer that one for ya...(Bill's my father). He had just trashed the ITB Pinto, and had this car in storage...decided to get out of Pinto's altogether (had another IT-dog...an 85 MR2 sitting there, decided to get into that car). Sold the old B-sedan with the salvaged bits from the wrecked ITB car.
A year or two later, with a couple of friends racing Mustangs (having fun, not spending much $)and opportunity presented itself, so we tried it. Plus, we live in the rust-belt, so Pinto's are all but impossible to find around here.
Again, we're each getting away from Fords in ITB...with him in an ITS RX-7 and me in an ITA CRX. Who knows when one of us will get another Ford!

Dick Elliott
04-14-2004, 12:26 AM
Great story! I'm afraid Ford has shot down the grassroots racer. Its been a long time since pony cars ruled. The new Mustang is an over weight less than perfect example of what bean counters and so call engineers can do to a once good car. 10 years from now, what Fords will be racing in IT? BUT FORD has NASCAR! Vintage looks better every day. DICK