PDA

View Full Version : Paniting the green Pinto

lobster
04-07-2004, 10:21 AM
I am thinking about painting the old green Pinto org. paint any thoughs tips on this. Color silver thanks Glenn

Tobey
04-07-2004, 11:52 AM
I just got finished painting my Pinto. I went with Grabber Blue. The paint I used was an enamel, a Dupont line called Nason. I got it at O'Reilly's for $50/gallon. One gallon did the whole car. We used the enamel because it is a one-step paint, just spray a couple of coats and you're done.

Here's the pictures and story:
http://users3.ev1.net/~tobeytaylor/Paintin...INGthePINTO.htm (http://users3.ev1.net/~tobeytaylor/Painting/PAINTINGthePINTO.htm)

joeg
04-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Nice job, Tobey!

To save money, you might go ask the paint store if they have any "Mistaken Mixed" paint for sale. Can't be fussy about shades of colors.

Cheers.

Dick Elliott
04-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Glenn!
Your car's not number 13 is it? You need a postive paint color like RED. RED neans, GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!! Baby blue means, please don't hurt me (wimper/wimper). Paint that sucker some bright color to let everone know to get out of your way or else. Paint that pup Red/ White/ & Blue so when you pass a Beamer or Ricer, they'll give up on the spot. Realy, though, the pretty'est Pinto I ever saw was Hugger/Grabber Blue, letter'd in Yellow. You could see it any where on the track. Try it / you'll like it! DICK

[This message has been edited by Dick Elliott (edited April 07, 2004).]

BMW RACER
04-07-2004, 09:57 PM
"Pass a Beamer" In a Pinto!! Like that would ever happen ;-) Actually I'm a closet Ford guy and I've always had a soft spot for Grabber Blue.
Glenn how about those '70's retro avocado or butterscotch colors? Heck I don't care what color you paint it, just get your arse out here!
Ford guys, I may race a BMW but I tow it with a Ford.

lobster
04-07-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the input! i am awaiting Topeka to send me my provisnal 5 weeks and counting I called them today they are back logged! Tobey your car looks great kind of the way I was thinking of painting it! John see you at the track soon Dick I like the bright colors also Glenn

Tobey
04-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully I won't wreck it the first time out...

Dick Elliott
04-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Just remember that there are fast Beamers and slow Beamers and fast Pintos and slow Pintos. Beware of the fast ones!!! SFR has a fast one I hear. Down south, only time will tell. DICK

Originally posted by BMW RACER:
"Pass a Beamer" In a Pinto!! Like that would ever happen ;-) Actually I'm a closet Ford guy and I've always had a soft spot for Grabber Blue.
Glenn how about those '70's retro avocado or butterscotch colors? Heck I don't care what color you paint it, just get your arse out here!
Ford guys, I may race a BMW but I tow it with a Ford.

Dick Elliott
04-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Glenn!
If your still looking for wheels there's a set of 4 ENKEL 13x5.5 on E-Bay at the ford pinto site. Whats good is to look down toward the bottom of the posting and see a picture of at least ten zellion mag wheels in the picture in one location. Go for it. DICK

lobster
04-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Dick Thank you so much I knew they were out there!! Maybe he has some Centerlines he is in northern cal. so it wont be a problem Thank again Glenn

Joe Craven
04-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Are these centerlines? Unfortunately, they are 14x6"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2472116784 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2472116784)

BTW, good luck with the Pinto. If I wasn't racing a Capri I might try a Pinto. I'd probably go with the 2230lb early Pinto with the 2.0 . It's 50lb lighter than the 2002, 70lb lighter than the Capri although the compression is a bit lower than the Capri.

In regards to a color, pick one that'll make it stand out. Nothing will embarass a "yuppie" racer more than getting passed by a Pinto - hahahaha. When I first brought my Capri from NASA PS3 to SCCA ITB, one of the Volvo 142e drivers came by to congratulate me on winning my 1st race. He kept asking, a Capri? , a Capri? BTW, he keeps getting faster, his Volvo hauls down the straights.

lobster
04-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Joe thanks yeah they look like c lines but they are not these are a cast wheel Later glenn