PDA

View Full Version : Duraspark Ignition

Dick Elliott
03-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Is there any difference between the early Pinto distributors (75/76) and the later ones (77/80). I know the modules are different, but the distributors look the same with the caps off. The later caps will fit on the early distributors, so are the distributors the same with the only difference being the modules. Thanks for your insight. DICK

joeg
03-31-2004, 08:46 AM
Dick--Did you notice any difference in the plug?

I'm with you on this...I think the distributors swap.

lobster
03-31-2004, 10:57 AM
Dick, The early ones are all red where the wires go in the later ones are blue. red-one blue-two. The red ones had more prob;ems and the blues were updated but I cannot recall what was diffrent. Glenn

lobster
03-31-2004, 10:59 AM
Dick Sorry the moudles are diffrent the dist. are the intetchanglable as long as it is the same design cap rotor type. Glenn

Dick Elliott
03-31-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks everone. I think I'll stick with the late model ones (77/80)just to be safe. I am going to try the GM module on one of them. Looks like the way to go and hi-po modules are out there.I also have an article from a 1980's Hot Rod showing how to use a Mopar module with Duraspark for hoter spark. DICK

bill f
04-01-2004, 04:35 PM
The distributors interchange in the engine, and of course the caps were different. I adapted first the GM HEI module, mounting it on the fender well on a heat sink, used it for a while in two different cars, then changed over to a TFI Ford. It by far was the simplest, in that the timing was already fixed (no centrifugal advance, so I didn't have to mechanically lock it out), and the wiring was even simpler than the HEI.

I prefer eliminating the advance, and have had no problems with engine life, or starting problems. Idle is acceptable, and the KISS method is intact.

Incidentally, don't be mislead by claims of performance problems at high RPM with the HEI...the references are ALL to the V8 application. As you know, 5000 RPM on a V8 is the same as 10,000 RPM on a 4 cylinder, and we're not going to have a problem with that!!

Both are cheap, easy to locate for replacement, and there is no discerable difference in performance. I stayed away from the MSD units because the claims for multi spark output was at lower rpm, and my concern was at the upper range of engine performance. KISS.

Good racing.

Bill

Dick Elliott
04-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Bill!
What is a TFI distributor? Is that the late model 2.3 computer operated distributor? I had always read to stay away from then. We've been useing a locked out distributor for some time now. Work great. Thanks for the help. DICK

bill f
04-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Thick Film Ignition. It is a housing with the module mounted on the side with 4 or 5 wires comming out of the plug. One to power, one to tach, one to ground, and leave the others hanging. KISS. It has no advance capability, since the advance was handled by the computer. For racing, just run it as it is.

Brand name manufacturers of replacement parts will hold up well. Basic rule is if there is no spark, change the module.

HEI advantage is that your tow vehicle more than likely has the spare part in it.

Good racing.

Bill

Dick Elliott
04-02-2004, 02:03 AM
Thanks Bill! Are the distributor wires (coil/power/ground)marked so you'll know where to put them? What coil do you use? I've read that the "E" coil( I think) is the hot set up and you do not use a step-down resitor with it. KISS it is! This is not going into a IT car, but into a hill climb Pinto I'm puting together out of old GT-3 and IT-B parts Thanks again. DICK

[This message has been edited by Dick Elliott (edited April 02, 2004).]

bill f
04-02-2004, 04:45 PM
E coil...no resister...as to the actual wire colors, I have to look at the notes.

It is not private information, and I'll share it with anyone, but if you will e-mail me at
[email protected] I'll have it later this weekend, and send it to you. If you want, I'll also send the HEI schematic.

If anyone else is interested in the setups, please request it in the forum and I'll be glad to respond.

Good racing.

Bill

Dick Elliott
04-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Bill!
Sorry for the delay. My computer's sick again. Will receive but not post. Send me all your information on the wireing diagrams for the late model distributor. Thank you very much. (DICK) [email protected]

bill f
04-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Just got back on after the weekend of working. Give me two days, and I'll contact you.

Bill