PDA

View Full Version : crazest IT cars you have ever seen!?

lobster
03-12-2004, 02:11 AM
Just wondering what off the wall cars run in IT in your neck of the woods? I saw a guy run a LeCar at the Last Lap of Riverside (R.I.P.)

joeg
03-12-2004, 08:45 AM
I'm dying to see an AMC Pacer in full IT trim, but I suppose the Yugo that I saw a couple years ago at Neldon was fairly strange.

Great driver and he peddled it hard but it had the biggest collection of rear and side view mirrors on the thing--for a reason.

bhudson
03-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Atlanta Region has a driver with an AMC Spirit, saw a VW Super Beetle at Kershaw and VIR a few years ago, and there was a Yugo in SEDIV until he rolled it at Kershaw. When other flaggers guffaw at these cars I say "Well, he's on the track, and we're on the bank..."

Bob Hudson
Asst Flag Chief
Atlanta Region

Dick Elliott
03-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Glenn!
In the late 80's, there was a Gordini racing in IT-B, on the tracks around Denver. Wasn't very fast, but just like a Pinto, tech didn't have a clue what to look for under the hood. The owner die'd and the car was sold around 1989. Never saw it again. Many an IT car from Denver ended its life on one of the local dirt tracks, running mini-stock. What a sad way to go. Later, Dick Elliott

JeffYoung
03-13-2004, 05:34 PM
I paddocked with Ed Forrest at Road Atlanta last labor day, he drives the red, white and blue AMC Spirit. I drive a TR8 -- we called our spot Team Oddball.

That car was really cool, the Spirit. It has I believe the biggest engine in IT (bigger than my V8) - a 4.2 (I think) in line 6 truck motor. Redline is like 5,000 rpm or something. He has fun with the car, and I liked its look.

The Yugo was I believe Al Matthews' car. Still has the ITD record at VIR. Didn't know he killed it at Kershaw, that's a shame.

There are a few TR8s, TR7s, Opel GTs, Alfas, etc. out there in IT still. About the only car on the spec list I've never seen run, or heard about running, is the Jensen-Healey in ITS. And you know, the damn thing would probably make an OK ITS car. It's the Lotus 907 engine, at 140 hp stock, and probably capable of near 170 or 180 in IT trim. And the car is light as hell, 2100 lbs. I believe.

I do love the oddballs. Maybe I need to add a Jensen-Healey to my fleet...lol.....

pgipson
03-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Years ago there was a woman (Rose Hawley?) that ran an Isuzu in ITB out of North Carolina region. I think that was the only one of those I've seen.

And we had someone run a V6 Chev Monza (4.3 or 3.8l ?) in ITA once or twice since I have been in Arizona

[This message has been edited by pgipson (edited March 13, 2004).]

Monkeywrench
03-13-2004, 10:07 PM
It's not a IT car, but with a detuned motor I bet it would be IT legal is the Lancia Scorpio that is running a production class in the NE. Very clean, awesome looking car. I believe it made it to the runoffs.

JeffYoung
03-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Yes on the Monza. I've heard that someone in SEDiv had a Buick Skyhawk (same car) up until a few years ago. I think it is the 3.8 liter six, car was supposedly fast as stink in a straight line.

There's a yellow Scorpion here in production in SEDiv as well. Neat looking car, but breaks a lot.

Monkeywrench
03-14-2004, 10:12 PM
"There's a yellow Scorpion here in production in SEDiv as well."

Maybe its the same one. It was up here at the Pocono double national, so maybe he was trying to get points for the runoffs. The car ran good when it was up here. I got pictures of the car. Very clean.

lateapex911
03-16-2004, 02:06 AM
Yes, the Monzas are mighty fast down the straight!

I loved being on the track with the Corvair! Haven't seen one race IT since '93.

Also seen but MIA lately are the Cosworth Vega, and the Dodge Charger. I don't miss the Charger....

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]