PDA

View Full Version : VW Radiator in a Pinto.

Dick Elliott
02-18-2004, 08:09 PM
I,ve seen several postings on here about useing a VW radiator in a IT-B Pinto. Which radiator? Diesel? Gas? AC? Year? Mods necessary? Any help will be repayed with MGD at next race. Thanks Dick Elliott (Worlds oldest Pinto racer)

tderonne
02-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Your local parts guy will know. It's the one he sells the most of. There are variations, but the popular one works, and it's cheap (under $100).

Kazoo
02-20-2004, 08:26 PM
You'll have to forgive me, but the Pinto was a long time ago... When we had an ITB Pinto 2.3liter, we used a VW Scirocco Radiator. It had an the expansion tank on the end with the cap on the top (as opposed to Rabbits/Golfs with remote tanks). You may want to explore either option, but I can tell you that it worked VERY well! If memory serves, the VW Radiator was a cool 10 lbs. lighter than OE, used less coolant, cooled better and was cheap. While Summit does supply Scirocco style radiators, a cheaper bet would be to find your local VW parts house, as many stock these things for about $80. Just make sure to get one that is Aluminum/Plastic (as that is where the weight savings is). The parts stores should have dimensions listed for the various radiators, so just take a look through to get the widest Scirocco version that will still fit the front of the Pinto. For what its worth, we used a radiator for an 86 Golf with a/c in our ITB Mustang with great success, just had to find somewhere to mount the VW Coolant Reservoir. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Kazoo (edited February 20, 2004).]