PDA

View Full Version : HELP... fellow Pinto Racers

pyburn12
11-14-2003, 08:41 PM
I am getting out of circle track racing and have a rust free 72 pinto. I have a basic understanding of the rules but cannot get a rule book until Feb? I need help with the cage, panhard bar mounts, where to get poly bushings for the a-arms, etc.... please send pics of anything you have that will get me going before Feb.....Can I run later model brakes, 8" or 6.75 rear, gear ratios, anything!!!
Thank you,
Wes

Tobey
11-16-2003, 01:14 AM
There's way too much to the rules to start building the car without a rule book. Where do you live? Maybe someone will give you a 2003 GCR, which should be adequate to get you started.

Here's a few answers from the ITCS:

I don't use poly bushings on my Pinto. Try a hot rod shop that sells the Mustang II/Pinto front suspension kits, maybe they would have something.

A '72 is listed as '71-74, with the 2.0 engine. So you can use '74 brakes, limited to 237mm disk and 229mm drum.

Differential must use the stock housing. So you could only use the 8" if it was offered by '74. Gear ratios are free. Limited-slip or locked is OK.

Panhard bar mounts must be welded or bolted, and can't penetrate the trunk or passenger compartment.

Good luck. The Pinto is a very capable, under-appreciated car. With some development, it should be a fine race car for you.

Renaultfool
11-16-2003, 01:58 PM
I raced a 71 pinto for several years. You have leaf springs, you do not need a panhard rod. Take the rear springs apart and use two main leaves. Just cut the eyes off both ends and then use the second longest leaf turned to that it goes all the way to the front eye, and one shorter leaf turned the same. Bolt them together with the center bolt and use 2" lowering blocks. Use a 1" front sway bar from a Mustang II 74-78. You must use the 6.75" rear end as they never offered the 8" in the 2.0 pinto. Weld it to lock it. Use a 1/5"-5/8" rear sway bar with 10" arms. Buy a new Weber 32/36 DGV carb. Best money ever spent. Do not use headers that have the collector parallel to the ground, they are too long. The collector must be at an angle near the beside the bellhousing. You need about 28" primarys. 2 1/4" tail pipe about 36" long. Use 155 and 160 main jets. Use the largest airs that you can find. Make sure that you use the 71 zero deck height pistons. The 72-74 pistons were down about .170 from the deck, lower compression, you don't want that. Trim the head close to the allowable amount. Email with questions. [email protected]

Bill Gotwalt
11-19-2003, 02:57 PM
wes--I am still somewhat involved----If you want to --give me a call----I have the info you want
I am in the phonebook here in town...I assume you remember who this is....(remember Joe Nemechek's ministocks?)

pyburn12
11-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey Bill, How are you?
I am leaving out for vacation Friday but will look you up when we get back or email me @ [email protected]