PDA

View Full Version : SPRING RATES AND SHOCKS FOR PINTOS

LOBSTA1
06-20-2003, 09:34 AM
I was wondering what king of shocks and springs, and rates u Pinto drivers are running Thanks Glenn

MarkL
06-20-2003, 12:26 PM
550-600# Fronts, 2 extra leaves in the rears. I dont remember the sizes or the valving for the shocks, but you can get shocks in sizes to fit the Pinto that ought to work. No rear bar for starters, A 1-1/8" front bar should be good at first.

Dick Elliott
06-20-2003, 03:53 PM
Glenn! Theres everthing from PRO SHOCK to KONI for a Pinto. I'f your poor like me, then go with Pro Shock. All the mini-stock boys seem to love them. Speedway Motors has them for about $48.00 each.Konis are 2 to 3 times as much. As for springs, well to each his own. Each track will mandate the spring setup. For starters, I'd use cut down stock or waggon for the front, and de-arch'd stock or one extra leaf in the rear. I use a Addco 1.000" in front and .875 in the rear. The rear is determan'd by if you run a posie or locked rear end. It is very hard on a Pinto to get low enough. A panard rod also helps. All this stuff will come later. Just get the car running first, then worry about the small stuff. DICK

Originally posted by LOBSTA1:
I was wondering what king of shocks and springs, and rates u Pinto drivers are running Thanks Glenn

LOBSTA1
06-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Dick & Mark, Thanks for the info. The car is running and running the best it ever has! The motor pulls strong and just wore out some used hoosiers. I have a pannard bar, rear sway bar, locked diff 6 3/4" w 3.55 in it, 1" frt bar, fairmont v-8 springs (ithink do not know the rate) de arched rear leave stock w shackles, all poly bushings at min ride height, and rear lowering blocks. I will get the spring rates checked and maybe add a leaf oh and I am running the Koni spc. "D's" thank any input is helpful thanks Glenn

LOBSTA1
06-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Dick, I see u have had a layoff from racing too mine was about 6 years!!! Thats to long i know it will be hard going with all the new fwd stuff out there but the car was always a strong mid pack or better a couple third & seconds, no not a Riverside, Holtville and the old las vegas track r elvis they called it. Raceed at Riverside, willow springs (Before widenig and after}, etc. Just ran june 14 th with SPEEDTRAILUSA at California Speedway infield track 1.5 miles lot of fun oldest car out there ME got great feedback from the younger & older guys. Anyways take care Glenn FFR

Dick Elliott
06-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Glenn!I never stoped racing, only IT. Been auto Xing the last 10 years.
See my posting about the air cleaner. The 2300 also run better with no advance in the dist. MSD blaster 2 coil and a mopar spark box. 3:55 gears are right as 2300s are realy tractor motors in IT tune. Lots of torque / little RPM. DO NOT match the intake ports. They are too large and need the missmatch to break up the fuel. I run a Ford Ranger header and it makes gobs of torque. 2 1/4 pipe with no muffler. Remember that the 2300 is not a small block chev. Pintos will run!!!! More later.Go kick some ass. DICK

Originally posted by LOBSTA1:
Dick, I see u have had a layoff from racing too mine was about 6 years!!! Thats to long i know it will be hard going with all the new fwd stuff out there but the car was always a strong mid pack or better a couple third & seconds, no not a Riverside, Holtville and the old las vegas track r elvis they called it. Raceed at Riverside, willow springs (Before widenig and after}, etc. Just ran june 14 th with SPEEDTRAILUSA at California Speedway infield track 1.5 miles lot of fun oldest car out there ME got great feedback from the younger & older guys. Anyways take care Glenn FFR