PDA

View Full Version : silverhorse where were you?

trueblue
04-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Marcello,
I was looking forward to meeting you and seeing your new car in Savannah.
I am seriously thinking about selling my Fiesta and moving to a Mustang.

Joe Craven
04-28-2003, 04:56 PM
TrueBlue, you got yourself an excellent starter car, enjoy it. I totalled two cars my first year. Well, it is a long story but I went out to have fun and found myself in a points race. I'd recommend going slower your first year. When you master the car, step up to the next level.

I actually started in faster cars but didn't really improve my driving until I stepped back and got myself a better handling slower car. I learned the most driving a VW GTI Cup car the last few seasons. It handled well and I finally was able to take that car about as fast as it would go. That experience in the GTI is enabling me to go much faster with my Capri, which is trickier to drive really fast.

#37 ITB Capri

trueblue
04-28-2003, 07:45 PM
You make a good point. I have the bug though. I can see where I could put 5k in this car. I would have an awesome Fiesta then.

options.

Spend little and drive the wheels off in the back field (still fun)

Spend money on the car to make it more competitive and run mid pack (more fun)

Just buy a sorted Mustang that someone else has 3x the money in than you can sell it for.

Either way I will do nothing until I decide. Until I do I will stay where I am.

Speaking of money. Where is a good place to buy tires. I spent 525.00 at the track. My wife is gonna kill me when she finds out! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Joe Craven
04-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Speed costs money and the same is true for tires. Spend your money on driving schools, instruction and track time. You'll go much faster with experience as compared to buying faster parts and tires.

The best value for tires IMO is the Toyo RA1. However, you can't get them at TireRack. I just spoke to an ITB who told me that he went through $1600 worth of tires in a weekend. How'd he do that you ask? Well, he's a newbie and he bought Hoosiers. He locked up each set in a session and quickly wore to the cords.

$525 sounds about right for 4 13" racing tires, mounted and balanced. You must have bought Kumhos which are ok tires.

#37 ITB Capri

trueblue
04-28-2003, 08:04 PM
I bought TOYO's. I liked them. Not as good as the Hoosiers I am sure but they held up well. I ran a total of 54 laps with four heat cycles. They still look pretty good and were ok in the last session. They did start to go away in the last two laps. Part of that was on me because of a really bad decision to change the tire pressure.

SilverHorseRacing
04-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Sorry I didn't make it. I really wanted to, but we had to make a tough choice between being at the show for two of our sponsors, or mechanically completing the new car for the race. We picked the appearance at the show. Now this week I was hoping to make Daytona, but my day job is getting the better of me, and I think I might miss that too, unless a stroke of luck befalls us. We'll see. She's really close, just re-wiring the dash and setting up the front suspension and it's ready to race, but we'll see if we get time to do that. Glad you had fun, wish I could've been there. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

------------------
-Marcello Canitano
www.SilverHorseRacing.com (http://www.SilverHorseRacing.com)

trueblue
04-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Silver-

Gotta love the day job! I am going to Sebring this weekend for the SVTOA club meet. I am going to buzz the Fiesta around the track on Sunday. I will probably drive the Lightning in the autocross just for fun. I will then have to get back to work at the track on weekends just to pay for all this!