PDA

View Full Version : ITB Ford Season Opener - Sears Point Raceway AKA Infineon

Joe Craven
04-08-2003, 04:46 PM
I had a lot of goals in anticipation of the new SCCA IT season. I had planned to build a 140hp motor, I had planned to win all my races and I am planning to break at least 2 track records. If you notice the past and present tenses I use, it is because I have already built and dynoed the motor , lost two races but I still have a chance to break a track record or two.

Last Friday, April 4,2003, I took my Capri over to vishnutuning.com in Pleasanton Ca. After a warmup on their Aussie Dyno Dynamics dyno, my motor pulled a best of 94.8 rwhp. It did smoke a bit, and I was disappointed but ready to race on Saturday knowing that my motor was adjusted to it's optimum. I experimented with different ign. and cam timing and only lost hp. The car smoked on the dyno when revved hard but I thought it was gas fumes which were being measured between 12:1 and 13:1 AFR.

My motor seems to be getting stronger as it gets run in. I was attempting to observe a 6000rpm redline, since it started getting excessive blowby and oil consumption when I revved it beyond 6000rpm. I wasn't pleased to notice my oil pressure dropping during qualification on Saturday, and opening my hood and see the oil spray all over the underside of my hood from the crankcase breather. The motor was down a quart of oil.

Saturday, I qualified 3rd in class behind two of the BMW 2002s. My laptimes weren't as good as I hoped, my car was wildly oversteering on right hand turns and understeering on left hand turns and the motor was a bit down on power as compared to the BMWs. I was over 2.5 seconds/lap behind the 2nd place BMW and nearly 3 seconds/lap behind the pole BMW and well behind my goals. I made some adjustments Saturday night, lowered the left front suspension one turn and ran in the engine for a few hours on non-detergent 30 weight oil. I also fitted a fresh set of tires just in case my old set were starting to lose traction and I also decided to increase the tire pressures all around since they felt a bit too soft.

Sunday - 1st 30 min race, there were 79 cars on the grid which promised to create a lot of traffic. The BMWs pulled away at the start and I got stuck behind some slower ITA and ITS cars. I'd pass them in a corner and they'd pass me down the straights and slow me slightly in the corners. I got used to the feel of the new tires and began to pick up the pace, eventually getting by those cars. I pulled away from my ITB competitors, beautifully prepared yellow BMW 2002, red Alfa Romeo Alfetta, orange Toyota Celica and white Volvo 142 and others already way back until I couldn't see them in my rear view mirror. I started gaining on the two front running BMWs which were battling and within 20 minutes, I was about 10 car lengths behind them and our ITB cars were in the top 10 of the whole field, continuing to gain overall positions. I was getting increasingly optimistic, and I decided to increase my rpm shift point. Dam the motor, full speed ahead. I revved it to 6500 rpm in 3rd, pushed down the clutch, and the pedal stayed on the floor. Without a working clutch, I finessed the shift to 4th and did my best to hold my position until the end of the race. My final position was 3rd in class, while the top ITB BMW 2002 had worked it's way to an impressive 5th overall while breaking the ITB track record.

Sunday - 2nd 25 minute race. I repaired the clutch cable, reduced my tire pressures a bit in the rear, hoping to reduce oversteer. My front suspension adjustments helped in the first race eliminating the left hand understeer so my car oversteered evenly on left and right hand turns. SCCA used the Saturday qualifying results to start this race. I got a much better start, feeling much more confident with my Capri as I entered the first turn. The 2nd BMW and I swapped positions a few times, as we attempted to thread our way through heavy traffic. My car was hooking up and it's handling much improved over any previous sessions and I pulled away from the now 3rd place BMW (and former track record holder), especially in the high speed esses and turn 10. I focused my sights on the front running orange BMW, and I was on him within 15 minutes. I got my nose along side him a couple of times, but he is a good driver and wouldn't give me any more room than is absolutely necessary, forcing me to take the less optimal line. Our cars were evenly matched, he'd be slightly faster in the off-camber turns but I'd take him on the smooth fast sweepers. As the race wore on, I was getting increasing confident that I could take him as he was working his car really hard, and it appeared that either he or the car's tires were tiring and his lines started to get a touch sloppy and his car began to increasingly slide in the corners. My car was now sticking better than his and I was concentrating to keep my lines smooth, and I knew he would continue to overwork his tires and I'd get my chance to get by. I misread the white flag out on track, and thinking it was the last lap (it was a safety vehicle warning flag) and panicked and tried a risky pass in turn 11 on the inside of the BMW. I got on the gas a bit too early and got the car way sideways and he was able to pull a hefty lead down the long straight. Unfortunately, I had 5 more laps left in the race but blew my chance since the mistake in turn 11 was too costly for me to overcome in the short time remaining. I also ran the fastest ITB lap in this 2nd race with a 2:00.8 lap time which would have broke the ITB Sears Point track record prior to this weekend. Unfortunately, the orange front running BMW had already broken the record in the first race with a 2:00.2 something. 1:59s are my next goal.

I'm really jazzed that my car is now handling reasonably well and competitive. If I could get some rear negative camber (discussed on this listserv), I can probably dial out the rear oversteer and get a bit closer to the performance potential of the Capri. My Porterfield rear brake shoes have been bedded in and the rear brakes are now really strong. I've had to adjust the proportioning valve on the rear brakes due to rear axle hop as I brake heavily into turn 11. It's a little disconcerting to feel the rear axle hopping as the rear springs wind up and release. In any case, braking is now strong and balanced and I no longer get outbraked by the other cars.

Acceleration, handling, braking - three ingredients necessary to win a race.

#37 ITB "Ford" Capri

LOBSTA1
04-08-2003, 09:47 PM
Joe sounds like u have a rocket, 1st off I have heard of guys cambering the rear axle a degree or so and more and u could have some real problems, also what springs are u using what rates, pannard bar? and diff locked or what? also also I have heard of guys tuning the tail pipe leght to optomize the 2.0l motor sounds like u are really close to the magic 100bhp. later lobsta1

Joe Craven
04-08-2003, 11:37 PM
I'm running 300lb/in in the front with a 1 1/8" sway bar, and unknown leaf springs in the rear with limited slip but without a panhard rod or sway bar. I bought the car with a 5/8" rear bar but once I increased the front camber, the car started to oversteer and removing the bar fixed the oversteer problem. I have improved the front to the point that it sticks better than the rear.

I doubt that increasing front roll stiffness will help much, since I'm already lifting the inside front wheel off the ground in many turns. I'd prefer to improve the rear as compared to reducing stick in the front.

My car got in a bad wreck several years ago and it has never driven the same. Oversteer is one of the things that has become more prevalent. The hit was right on the rear axle and it broke one of my leafs and it may have bent the rear axle. The force would have probably create some toe out in the rear but I've never had the alignment measured. I had a friend weld the leaf spring back together and it works to this day. The break was near the leaf eye so it wasn't in an area that contributes much to the spring rate.

I know what you guys are thinking, I should just get this car fixed right. Several years ago, my driving was less than perfect and I still wasn't even close to driving this Capri to it's limits. I wouldn't have gone much faster in a Volvo, BMW or my Capri.

Fast forward 3 years, I've gotten lots of seat time in a VW GTI and mastered it, and I want to make this Capri go as fast as it can. My driving has gotten much better, and I'm now willing to invest the time and money to improve the car.

Lobsta1, you mention 100hp as the magic number. So my initial disappoinment with 94.8 rwhp should have been joy? Obviously, my car went fast enough in the straights so I can now concentrate on the suspension.

Until I find a shop to fix my rear end and make sure the wreck had caused some neg camber, would it be beneficial to reduce the front camber to make the car neutral. I'm wondering if I'd go faster with less stick up front?

#37 ITB Capri

LOBSTA1
04-09-2003, 12:15 AM
Joe thats great! I think u are right about the camber we only run 2.2degrees in the pinto (I need more need to slot for quicker tracks) also I ran a 1981 ITB Rabbit also we my buddy Chris and I had a great itme w? it (It burned up-down pretty bad at Holtville w me in it back in 1996) anyways do u weld? its easy to make a pannard bar and was good for .5 sec at Willow Springs for us. also are the shackles on the leafs perpendikular to each othe sound like u get allot of twist in them later Glenn

LOBSTA1
04-09-2003, 12:16 AM
joe also "LOOSE IS FAST"

Joe Craven
04-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Yes, I weld and I even have a panhard rod in my stack of stuff. I tried it but it seemed to cause my rear suspension to bind a bit. I'm running neg 3 deg camber in the front which gives me good tire temps. The rear springs used to be flat when I bought the car about 6 years ago but have now started to sag and have a slight reverse arch.

You aren't kidding that loose is fast. With the way my car handles, I don't dare let off the gas as the rear end hangs out or I'll end up in the weeds. Keeping my foot on the gas must be why I'm going so fast - LOL.

It's tiring though, I have to concentrate too much and constantly saw the front wheel to keep the car going in the right direction. One other driver described my car as a cartoon. I guess it looks odd when the car pitches out, inside front wheel floating in the air as it turns back and forth as I steer through the oversteer.

The oversteer is really pronounced on off-camber turns, and I'm sure that my entrance speed for example in Turn 2 at Sears Point is lower than optimal. Once I sort these little handling issues, I should be able to break below the 2 minute flat barrier.

#37 ITB Capri

LOBSTA1
04-09-2003, 02:16 AM
Joe I love the cartoon reference!!! I have to tell u a story about Wade Short and his #70 ITB some time. Following him at the old Las Vegas track thur the turns was like a cartoon! I bet those Capri are a handfull! Narrow track and long wheelbase Yeah old Wade I called him Wade "SLIDING" Short cause that thing was always sideways I always let him pass his was always quicker tahn me!!

42pinto
04-22-2003, 12:42 AM
Joe,

I used to have a panhard bar on my Pinto but after Mike Stevens tried the car at LS He took it off as it was making the car unpredictable. I've never put it back.

Barry

Joe Craven
04-23-2003, 01:46 AM
Hey Barry, welcome to the list!

I agree, I'd prefer better axle location control but I can probably handle some axle movement easier than suspension binding. I'm sure that a panhard rod can be made to work, but I've got bigger fish to fry.

I think my rear end is bent and I have some toe out. I'm anxious to get my car off the trailer so I can measure the camber and toe. I'll probably do that at the Laguna Seca track this weekend. LS is a mostly left hand turn track, and my car turns fairly well to the left. It's the right handers at Sears Point that are a handful.

#37 ITB Capri

racer_tim
04-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Joe, don't forget that turns 3-4 are very flat @ LS, and turn 4 is the last turn before a long straight to turn 5. Also, 8a is a right turn, but there is lots of camber built into it, since it's going down hill. turn 10 is a right as well, but like 8a, there is lots of camber.

I'll try to save you a space. Just look for the waskally wabbit and Big Blue.

Barry, when is the car going to get finished?

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 LP GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Joe Craven
04-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Barry, I didn't know your car needed work, what happened? I saw it last year at Thunderhill and your Pinto appeared absolutely immaculate. I'm looking forward to seeing another Ford on the track, it gets lonely getting surrounded by these Italian, Japanese and Yuppie cars. I wouldn't mind seeing some ITB VWs out there too.

Tim, will you still be doing the drive around the track? The only time I was at Laguna Seca with my Capri must be at least 3 or more years ago and I was very slow. I have film where I spun out in the carousel. I guess you are doing a Regional again. I've never been to a national event, looking forward to the national/regional in July at Infineon.

I've practiced a bit on my friends PlayStation 2 so I'm getting familiar with the track. Somehow, I've managed to spin the Mini Cooper in the carousel so I must be doing something wrong.

#37 ITB Capri

racer_tim
04-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Yes, I'm still doing worker transportation. Morning F&C meeting is at 7:45 am, so I'll be over around Turn 11 / Emergency around 8:10 or so, to deliver folks to their turns.

Can't hardy miss big blue.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 LP GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

42pinto
04-24-2003, 12:11 AM
Tim, I should have the car ready for thunderhill. I try to work on it some every nite after work.

Joe,

The front suspension needed updating as its been 20 years since I did a complete rebuild. I'm also improving the Quality of the bushings to improve the handling.

Barry Streets ITB #42 Pinto