PDA

View Full Version : 2.3 liter mustang heads

Jiveslug
01-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Ok, so Ive done a bit of poking around here and have been talking to Esslinger Engineering here in So Cal regarding the construction of a 2.3 litre Mustang ITB motor. The question regarding the heads immediately came up. According to EE, the older 4 plug heads are better flowing and are better for a racing application than the newer 8 plug ones. They were saying that folks using the 8 plugs do so because they have to, not by choice. However, we in IT do have a choice on this matter and I was wondering if anyone had some input. Are the 8 plug heads more restrictive than the 4 pluggers? What is the advantage that the 8 plugs are supposed to have over the 4??

Jive.

Jiveslug
01-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Oh, forgot. They also mentioned something about old "oval port" heads. My contact at Esslinger wasnt sure what year they were available on the Mustang, but he was under the impression that they were available in some of the early FOX cars. He had said that in their recent testing, these oval ports had been best for making power in an unported head condition. Anyone know anything about this head design and if it was availalbe on the Mustang???

baileydl
01-22-2003, 09:42 PM
Can't answer your question, but have you looked at the engines by Racer Walsh? Who knows, they might even be able to tell you what an "ultimate 2.3 engine setup" consists of.

http://www.racerwalsh.com/

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Don

baileydl
01-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Hmmm. Just noticed that Racer Walsh has some sort of 2300 power guide here:

http://www.racerwalsh.com/2300_video_info_sheet.htm

A bit of talk about different heads, too.

Don

SilverHorseRacing
01-22-2003, 10:15 PM
Supposedly, the truth is that the earlier heads (circa pre83ish or so) flowed the most. But... they are part of a less efficient package, and together, make less power than the later style stuff (91-93). If you're going carb, then yes, go to the early heads, but if you want EFI, I'd go with the DP design. Just for your info...

1986-90 2.3 D-port EFI motor - rated 88Hp
1991-93 2.3 Dual Plug EFI motor - rated 105Hp
1989-95 2.3 Dual Plug Ranger EFI - 112Hp (different exhaust only)

Of course, I hope everyone else runs a carb !

<-- Building my second DP car right now...

------------------
-Marcello Canitano
www.SilverHorseRacing.com

Jiveslug
01-24-2003, 04:31 AM
Ok, so the next question comes to, can you use the older, better flowing heads with the more efficient EFI setup? I really dont know if the ports will match up or anything (gimme a break, Im relatively new to this). It seems to me that with the better flowing heads and the more efficient fuel management (essentially, we are talking about a late model engine in every respect except for the head) would be the way to go. Does that work or am I completely daft???

Jive

SilverHorseRacing
01-24-2003, 11:18 AM
No. The later manifolds won't fit the earlier heads. And anyway, it's a package thing, you're better off trying to go one route or the other.

------------------
-Marcello Canitano
www.SilverHorseRacing.com

Rabbit07
01-25-2003, 10:55 PM
In my research I have learned that the 2.3 oval or d port will flow similar numbers. the latter 8 plug heads also alow for a roller cam which will ultimatly make more power due to fictional losses. You can put a roller cam in any 2.3 in IT, but you are cheating unless you run the 8 plug head. EFI systems are much more efficient at making power if correctly calibrated, although peak horse power numbers rarely change whether you use EFI or a Carb. Either system can make power if correctlt tuned. I say this a a general statement, not just applied to the 2.3. Other considerations are the runner length of the manifold, chamber shape, ect. The 2.3 EFI engines have longer runners than that of the earlier engine, which in theory should produce more torque. Remember it is torque that gets you off the corners, not horsepower. Horsepower may produce more speed in a straight line, but you need that torque to get you rolling.

Just my $0.02