PDA

View Full Version : Need sound advice folks...

baileydl
08-19-2002, 10:57 PM
I'm hoping to make the move from autox to road racing and after attending several MARRS events at Summit Point, feel that ITB is for me. I own a 2001 GT and a 2001 F150 SuperCrew, and I'm a Ford fanatic, so its a ITB Mustang or nothing. Ultimate goal is to simply finish the 12 Hours at the Point with some family and friends.

I've read through previous posts and it seems that overwhelming opinion is to buy a pre-built race car. But I don't have a trailer right now or any room for a trailer at my place, so moving a non-streetable almost-ITB Mustang (needs to be brought up to spec in several ways) that I've located could prove challenging initially and on a recurring basis.

Meanwhile, I've got a line on a local 86 4-banger pony for $450 that needs a little work but has a current inspection, but I would need to build for ITB from scratch. I'm not opposed to taking two winters to get this done, and I can afford either route.

So, do I scrounge up a trailer and go get the almost-ITB 'stang to bring back to keep in the garage, and work on it as I figure out some sort of towing option? Or do I pick up the cheap pony and start bringing it up to ITB specs, with the bonus of being able to move it to and fro on demand? That cheap street legal Mustang is appealing just for the fact that I could drive it to the guys that might be working on it (I'm no mechanic). But I need to know if going with a pre-owned race car is cost-saving / important enough to negate considering the do-it-yourself while-you-drive-it route.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sincerely,

Don

[This message has been edited by baileydl (edited August 19, 2002).]

SilverHorseRacing
08-19-2002, 11:52 PM
Well, count my vote for the buy prebuilt. I am currently looking at some "options" for next season, and they include prebuilt cars, albeit in slightly more "visible" classes. Contact me offlist and we'll talk. My car will be available after the championships this October, complete with a spares package that makes another car look like a small emergency kit! BTW... buying after the championships (whether it be my car or someone else's) is one of the best ways to buy a car. (Watch the Sportscar ads that are popping up right now) This way, you know what you're buying isn't a pile of used parts that don't work. The other way is to buy off someone who is switching classes, because if they are staying in the class, why would they be selling you their car? Just a couple points to ponder.

HTH
-Marcello Canitano
www.SilverHorseRacing.com (http://www.SilverHorseRacing.com)

[This message has been edited by SilverHorseRacing (edited August 19, 2002).]

John Herman
08-20-2002, 07:23 AM
For moving a car, you might want to consider a tow dolly. They take up very little space, or can be rented cheaply. The truck I was using at the time sat high enough that I could park it over the tongue of the dolly. I used one for many years, and it worked well. Eventually I sold it, for what I paid, then stepped up to a trailer. There is the obvious shortfall that if you ball the car up big-time, but you'd be in worse shape if you drove the car to the track.

Knestis
08-20-2002, 09:34 AM
I am a huge "buy don't build" advocate but will qualify that advice for an incomplete project - anything without a current logbook.

You need to take someone along who can eyeball the new/aftermarket parts that the "almost" car includes and the time that will potentially be saved by going that route. Don't let renting a trailer or dolly stand in your way but do figure the costs (fuel, time) when making the final decision.

Marcello's advice, to avoid buying someone's garage sale, is VERY wise and should be carefully considered.

Kirk

Crack Monkey
08-20-2002, 09:49 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I'm no mechanic</font>

Then it's gonna cost you an awful lot of money to build a car from scratch.

Buy something prebuilt, buy a dolly ($500-$1000), and have fun.

I built my own car, spent about $6500. Could have bought a used one for $2500. But, I also enjoy tinkering and enjoyed building the car - the only work I had done elsewhere was the rollcage and other safety gear.

baileydl
08-20-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by SilverHorseRacing:
Contact me offlist and we'll talk. My car will be available after the championships this October, complete with a spares package that makes another car look like a small emergency kit!

Oooh. Way tempting. Sent email to your driverinfo email address off the silverhorseracing website. Perhaps I need to cool my jets and wait for more guys like you to offer up ITB Mustangs...? But I just don't see them very often, and certainly not around the D.C. region.

So thanks all for the advice so far. More to ponder. I hear what you're saying about cost--it's just the convenience issue of a streetable vehicle that's very appealing about the stock Mustang I found locally.

I don't mind supporting my local speedshop for the big stuff--they do great work, are fun to hang out with, and have treated my '01 GT like their own. For the minor maintenance, Dad's a retired Air Force vehicle mechanic, and I've got one buddy and one neighbor that have torn apart engines.

And someone mentioned something about a logbook. The seller told me this almost-ITB 'stang doesn't have one. Heck, dunno if it has a title even. How important are a logbook and title?

Thanks again everyone.

Sincerely,

Don

Crack Monkey
08-21-2002, 02:20 PM
Title - not requiredto race, but nice to have for resale and street use (since you want to develop as you drive).

Log Book - required to race. Fairly easy to get. Call you local tech inspector, set up a time to get the car checked, and if it meets all the GCR safety rules, he'll stamp the rollcage with a number and issue a logbook. BTW - if you are building a car from scratch, contact your tech guy early, they usually have good advice about the safety gear.

bill f
09-19-2002, 03:33 PM
Baileydl:

I have an ITB Mustang '88 that may be available if you are still looking. It has not been listed since this is a RECENT idea, but I'd be interested in talking about it to you if you are interested. I'm not too far from your location, so write me off line if interested.

[email protected]

Bill

joeg
09-20-2002, 07:29 AM
What are you up to Bill??