PDA

View Full Version : Eeeegads! What am I getting into?? Or, ITB here I come!!

Crack Monkey
07-16-2002, 10:36 PM
Well, as I mentioned in another thread, my roommate bought a 1974 Mercury Capri. He talked me into co-owning it and assisting with the build-up. It's got the Pinto 2L, so will be an ITB car here in the DC region's MARRS.

The car is straight and rust free. It also runs and moves on its own. $350. The only major thing it needs is a windscreen.

Hopefully we'll have it on the track by Fall and racing by Spring.

Joe Craven
07-17-2002, 01:18 AM
Welcome, I saw your post on the Capri list, perhaps your partners post. A thought, do you guys really want to build a race car? There are a few ITB Capri for sale ARR. (Almost ready to race). The 74 is a fairly heavy car but you can lighten it up with early doors and bumpers. Parts are available from a few sources. I know of a well built ITB Capri for sale but it is on the west coast. Good luck in any case.

36 ITB 1971 Capri (SCCA)
41 GTI Cup 1983 VW (NASA)
39 PS3 1973 Capri (NASA)

[This message has been edited by Joe Craven (edited July 17, 2002).]

RSTPerformance
07-17-2002, 02:04 AM
To all the capri lovers...

My father started racing a 1973 capri in ITA about in the early 80's (yes it was one of the first ever SCCA IT cars). We raced it untill 1990 when he had an accident that found the front horn bent and needing a frame machine. Lucky for him someone from Toyota was willing to give him 2 cars to build into ITA cars, so the car was put into storage where it sat untill 1996. In 1996 my brother and I found a bodyshop that would fix the front horn for free and we intended on building it to share, however somehow we got roped into audi's (wanna be A&F boys!!!) and we never did anything further with the capri. So here it sits still in our basement!!! For many years it was refered as the fastest capri on the east coast. Anyway we have several parts laying around and he is full of knowledge (he might not sell anything... he always has this dream of rebuilding it). He raced at every track north of Summit Point for many years... I guess the moral of this story is you might gain some knowledge if you gave him a call. He doesn't post anything on here cause he can't figure it out but he does know how to pick up the phone... feel free to give us a call (603) 228-1254. I am sure he would love to hear about hese cars comming back to life!!! Feel free to post questions and I will try to get answers out of him. You can also e-mail us at [email protected]

Raymond

RSTPerformance
07-17-2002, 02:05 AM

My father started racing a 1973 capri in ITA about in the early 80's (yes it was one of the first ever SCCA IT cars). We raced it untill 1990 when he had an accident that found the front horn bent and needing a frame machine. Lucky for him someone from Toyota was willing to give him 2 cars to build into ITA cars, so the car was put into storage where it sat untill 1996. In 1996 my brother and I found a bodyshop that would fix the front horn for free and we intended on building it to share, however somehow we got roped into audi's (wanna be A&F boys!!!) and we never did anything further with the capri. So here it sits still in our basement!!! For many years it was refered as the fastest capri on the east coast. Anyway we have several parts laying around and he is full of knowledge (he might not sell anything... he always has this dream of rebuilding it). He raced at every track north of Summit Point for many years... I guess the moral of this story is you might gain some knowledge if you gave him a call. He doesn't post anything on here cause he can't figure it out but he does know how to pick up the phone... feel free to give us a call (603) 228-1254. I am sure he would love to hear about hese cars comming back to life!!! Feel free to post questions and I will try to get answers out of him. You can also e-mail us at [email protected]

Raymond

Diane
07-17-2002, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:

1996. In 1996 my brother and I found a bodyshop that would fix the front horn for free and we intended on building it to share, however somehow we got roped into audi's (wanna be A&F boys!!!) and we never did anything further with the capri. So here it sits still in our basement!!!

Raymond

I love old Fords! I can't believe you still have that car, I remember it at Bryar in 1988 - now you tell me. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

(just kidding, Tim - sort of http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif )

Diane

[This message has been edited by Diane (edited July 17, 2002).]

Crack Monkey
07-17-2002, 04:05 PM
Joe - yeah, we want to build it. That's half the fun.