PDA

View Full Version : ARRC 2005

zracre
05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
So are we ready for this years race? I know the dates changed.....

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

Chris Wire
05-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Since the traditional date usually falls on my anniversary, I am very interested in a new date.

Care to share?

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

zracre
05-11-2005, 08:31 AM
I saw it posted somewhere that it is moved to the 12th and 13th....but im not sure.....anyone else???

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

gsbaker
05-11-2005, 10:03 AM
I also have Nov 12th and 13th on my calendar, but I don't recall the source of that info.

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com

bobpink
05-11-2005, 11:44 AM
ARRC dates are November 11-13. See y'all there.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude

charrbq
05-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Looks like I'm going to be there crewing for the current, multi National Champion in ITC and the future National Champion in ITA. I'll stay off the track this year, so the rest of you guys will feel safer racing.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

trd77
05-15-2005, 07:20 PM
I didn't realize there was a National Champion recognized in IT racing, or any regional class

trd77
05-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Do you mean the ARRC champ. I do not see where, if you when that race you are the national champ. Is this addressed in the GCR? I think we could all agree that the ARRC is mainly consist of competitors form the southeast or east. I know there are a few who travel, but are we truly geeting the best from all over the country. This event is open to anyone, it is not by invitation or an event that one has to qualify for is it?
While I would agree there is a high caliber of competitors, (mainly from the region), I don't think that if you win you are the national champ. If you win you are the winner of the ARRC, just as if you won the June Sprints. A great win, yes but national champ, no.

RSTPerformance
05-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by trd77:
While I would agree there is a high caliber of competitors, (mainly from the region), I don't think that if you win you are the national champ. If you win you are the winner of the ARRC, just as if you won the June Sprints. A great win, yes but national champ, no.

I agree. With all due respect the NARRC runnoffs at LRP are much much more competitive at least in ITB. ARRC is a fun event and I like that they due teardowns but it was one of the least competitive events I did last year. Me and my bro out qualified everyone by a full second. In the North East that never happens ever. I do like the event and it gets a lot of exposure but the fields are usually small and mostly South East people. A lot of us travel form New England because we like to do well "away from home" With all that being said it is a fun fun event with lots of good track time. You do get to drive with some great drivers and against some very well prepaired cars. Also the trophies are far far better than any trophies I have seen in Regional Racing!

Stephen

p.keane
05-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Stephen, you better bring your "A" game this year. Also, I raced in the NE for many years and the only thing they ever looked at in impound was if I had on nomex socks. PK

zracre
05-16-2005, 02:15 PM
its the closest thing we have to a national runoff...it gets pretty good coverage by the mags (grassroots/sportscar etc) i think it would be cool to have the arrc at mid ohio now that the nat guys are done with it....more central and a beautiful place...

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

bobpink
05-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Just an FYI. If the ARRC were to go to a track other than Road Atlanta the event would need to be named something else. Road Atlanta owns the name and have turned down offers from the Atlanta Region SCCA to buy it. It seems the SCCA just kind of forgot about the ARRC name and Jim Kanely picked it up in 1993 or so.

Will agree that the Improved Touring fields have been weak in recent years in comparison to the 1990s. I think this can be attributed to many of the IT racers moving to Spec Miata. With the SCCA revising specs for the IT cars hopefully we'll see the bigger fields return.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude

charrbq
05-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Sorry, maybe my ego was larger than some others in naming people national champions, but I doubt it. Having crewed for a recognized National Champion and seeing the fields in both Atlanta and Mid Ohio, I can say that they are really not much different there than they are at Road Atlanta. We dealt with mostly the "locals" at the Runoffs. I've raced against people from all over the nation and Canada at the ARRC. Even the there is a qualification structure for the Runoffs, a lot drivers/cars come that may have one their division, but are hardly competitive nationally. Maybe I should've put National in quotes. Everyone has the opportunity to attend. If Lance Armstrong chooses not to do the Tour de France, does the guy who wins not own the title? Sorry if anyone was offended.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

trd77
05-16-2005, 10:50 PM
If he wins the tour de france, he wins the title, but it is the title to that particular event, just like the ARRC. I do not think it is right to call yourself the national champion if you win the event. Do not get me wrong, its a great win. I have gone to the event to watch years ago, and to be honest I was not impressed. While the front runner were good and in great cars, the total field was not composed of high caliber cars and talent. It seemed to me to be just another regional. I would just like to know where it is written that it is recognized as a national champ. I also want to say that this is not only directed at you, I hear this or see it all the time. I just don't think it is right.

charrbq
05-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Whatever.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

RSTPerformance
05-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by charrbq:
Whatever.

Hey Chris I agree with you that it is awesome to win at that event. I was very very excited when I won 3rd in 2003 and super excited to be off pole in 2004 then terribly depressed to brake while I was in the lead on lap 5 yes not even 1/4 the wya through the race. arrrggg. Anyway It is several top running cars and great drivers like I said before. There is a reason I travel 18+ hrs to go! I also agree with you peter. I think some of the guys in ITB last year where not going as fast as they could in qualifying. Back when your car was running people where going a full second faster than I did this past year. I will also be honest in saying that I was the 5th fastest car at LRP for the NARRC and nothing changed on my car except new brakes and southern 89 octane fuel. With the new cars in ITB the feilds will be much tougher. I would say the Accord is definetly the new car to have for the class. David gran is doing very, very well from what I here in the North East!

Stephen

zracre
05-17-2005, 12:27 AM
It is simply the most well recognised IT event...everyone nationally is invited to see who is the best...if the best IT driver decides to not come then he does not get the arrc title...if people want to turn IT national, (see other thread) then they should attend at least one ARRC type event to decide and show numbers...where else is there a year end race for all the marbles?? just look at the SM entry list...all over the country.....

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

bobpink
05-17-2005, 10:07 AM
While the front runner were good and in great cars, the total field was not composed of high caliber cars and talent.

The same could be said about the Runoffs and just about anyone can go these days. The difference is the history of the Runoffs and that SCCA National virtually ignores the ARRC providing little to no support.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude

[This message has been edited by bobpink (edited May 17, 2005).]

madrabbit15
05-17-2005, 10:12 AM
It is just my opinion, but I am sure that others share it, If there is no tear down then an event does not carry much weight, period. There is so much cheating especially in IT, that for any championship to carry weight there needs to be a tear down, no matter how extensive it may or may not be. I do not say this to offend anyone, but the ARRC is the only IT championship that offers a tear down, which to me makes it by far the most legit championship. As far as big fields, I agree with previous statements regarding the fields being smaller because of spec miata. I also think that the reason the fields are smaller is because people know that if they win, their motor is gonna get torn down. I know a lot of fast cars that have won championships in IT over the years that never raced at the ARRC, there is always an excuse, but after a number of years thats all it is, an excuse. Just my opinion, just like #ssholes, we all have one.

Derek Ketchie
#5 ITC

trd77
05-17-2005, 02:10 PM
I agree about tear downs. It does make it a legitimate title. I have respect for the drivers who win and pass tear down. I also agree that the Runoffs are filled with classes that are not alway full of high caliber cars. However, one must qualify for the Runoffs and it is recognized by the SCCA as its National Championship. I would love to see the SCCA recognize that event or another event for championships. I know that it will never happen because it is a regional class. I would like to see the ARRC adopt a qualifying format for the event. I think one should have to finish in the top of their divison to compete. Until there is a qualifying format, it is just a regional event that has a good following, (mainly in the south), just as I wood say the same about the June Spirnts. Maybe the biggest National event other than the Runoffs, but just a National event none the less. I don't many from the south or east go to the June Sprints, it is mainly a regional event.

JeffYoung
05-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Andy (a fellow TR8 driver by the way) makes a good point. There were I think 11 car ITS fields at IRP this weekend in the Midwest (and Andy and his dad took 3rd and 4th no less, in IT-dinosaur TR8s).

The "perception" is that the NEDiv and the SEDiv have the fastest IT cars. BUt is this self-fulfilling because the means of judging this is the ARRC, which is held at Road Atlanta?

Maybe a more central location for the ARRC would be a good thing for IT. I suspect that some SEDiv and NEDiv drivers might be surprised at teh results. I see far more oddball cars in the results in the MidWest and Far West, and they seem to do ok (Supras and TR8s and Alfa GTV6s0

Greg Amy
05-17-2005, 03:46 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Maybe a more central location for the ARRC would be a good thing for IT.</font>

If a region in the middle of the country took the initiative to hold an IT love-fest (as the SEDiv has) then I'm certain it will attract a following (as the ARRC has). So, who's gonna step up to the plate to chair that little ditty...?

Build it, and they will come...

bobpink
05-17-2005, 03:47 PM
I think one should have to finish in the top of their divison to compete.

This has been brought up before and is a good idea, but it I seem to recall it being mentioned that the divisions don't keep up with points for the Regional classes. It would seem easy enough to pick out the top finishers though.

[This message has been edited by bobpink (edited May 17, 2005).]

Andy Bettencourt
05-17-2005, 03:59 PM
I think the fastest IT cars tend to center around the builders that have developed programs...most of them are in the East.

ISC
Bimmerworld
Speedsource
BSI
Mechanic Shop North

If there was a West Coast Region who wanted to hold a 'unoffical' WC Championship, then in a few years someone would put on something at Mid Ohio, Heatland Park or someplace semi-central.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

gran racing
05-17-2005, 04:00 PM
That’s always nice to hear – thanks Stephen. I still have a long ways to go!

The ARRC has become what it is due to smart marketing of the event. I really love the idea of tear downs to help keep cars much more legit. It really adds credibility to the race. While I have a great deal of respect to those who do well at the ARRC, as others have said it is not a national championship event. Heck, there are other “championship” events such as the NARRC (and I’m sure others in various regions throughout the country). What makes these events less of a championship event? In reality it goes back to what I said in the first place - the marketing of the event. Until the ARRC is officially named the IT championship race, it simply isn’t. Would I love to win it? Heck yeah. But would I make the trip every year without it truly being the championship race? I doubt it but who knows. Regardless it sounds like great event to participate in.

Bob - it could be pretty cool to send out invitations to those top finishers even if the event is still open to anyone.

I realize that grass roots does some coverage of the event, but what about getting them to cover it even more. Are there any other ways to get the event even more exposure?

Going somewhat off topic, I have always thought it would be cool to have the "IT Championship" event held at varous different tracks. Kinda like the superbowl of IT.
Regions would be asked if they want to host the show, if so they would have some time to hype it up. It could also bring about some fun competition between regions who can out do who. Just an idea.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

Knestis
05-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Since we've wandered a little afield...

Sears Point used to have the PCRRC (Pacific Coast Road Racing Championships) that attracted "the best" of the regional classes on the left edge of the country. We used to make the trek down from Seattle and the event had some luster. I don't think it survives today.

It could be done, as Greg suggests, to have any division/region/track step up and promote something similar to what the ARRC has become. However, it is NOT - regardless of what the ARRC folks do right - a national IT championship, official or otherwise.

Then again, I don't think much of the RubOffs, either.

K

bobpink
05-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by gran racing:
Until the ARRC is officially named the IT championship race, it simply isn’t.

The ARRC will never be named the IT Championships because the event features races from other regional classes as well. For me, it is was great to see the significant increase in open-wheel entries last year and I hope this year is even better. I would be happy to see each open-wheel class have its own race, but don't expect to see this any time soon.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude

lateapex911
05-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Some thoughts-

The Runoffs.....I'll stop short of saying something sound bite worhty, but they are a FAR cry from what they were, and what they could be. Honestly, if National was smart, and wanted to restore some interest and good racing (which they desperately need as the poor TV guys do the best they can with not much in certain classes), they would invite IT. SM will be there soon enough, and that will help the show.

The ARRCs. On one hand it's the defacto championship, but the region turnout is very strong. I applaud the region for taking the event seriously and doing partial teardowns, but remember guys, they are only partial, and lots of stuff could be slipping thriugh the net.

I see the point about certain guys who just never show up, and it is comical...like people don't wonder after a while. And I have also seen guys who blaze down the straights locally, but then barely keep up when they go to the ARRCs! Hmmmmmm....wonder why?

One word: Teardown.
So, it makes a big difference.

That said, no californian is going to drive all the way ....it just isn't the championship.

If it was by invitation only, I am afraid you would see less, not more entries. (And guys like me would never make it...we don't have IT7, so I wouldn't qualify)

I think Darin needs to spearhead an effort out west to something similar, and someone in the midwest to do the East vs West IT Championships. Invite the top dogs from both coasts, and then allow the remaining slots to be filled on a first come first served basis. In a perfect world, it could be fun....
But....the only problem with a three race format is who's gonna tow from Nova Scotia to Atlanta, back home, THEN turn around and go to Kansas!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

charrbq
05-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Saying that no Californian would travel so far isn't exactly accurate. We raced a top California team for the championship a couple of years ago. We've also race people from Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec. The obstacle is the mountains. Not negogiating them in a tow vehicle, but the mental limiting area for travel both east and west. People just shut their brains off to it.
For a couple of years in the beginning to IT, the SCCA held a National Championship at Heartland Park for IT and AS (then regional), and called it a National Championship. Two things happened in '93...SCCA dropped support of National championships for IT, and they moved the Runoffs to Mid Ohio for '94. The folks at Road Atlanta and it's surrounding regions picked up the ball for us little guys. Obtaining the use of the term, "ARRC" from SCCA's history it became known for it's name's origin..."American Road Race of Champions", the name used before it became "The Runoffs". Now that doesn't make the winners of each class a national champion in the minds of many people, and I'm sorry I stirred up such a symantic uproar.
Having a qualification format would kill the race weekend. At the Runoffs, you're dealing with over twenty classes that aren't all well subscribed to (i.e., the former GT4 & GT5). At the ARRC, you're dealing with only four nationally recognized IT classes plus several small local and invitational groups and the ever swelling SM. Next year the Spec Miata group may possibly dwindle due to the timing of two major races.
Say that you take the top four from each class in each division just as they do for the Runoffs...pretty small entry! Also, consider the division that has only a few cars in some classes. Example, my former division only has two ITB cars racing and only three ITC. Only one of those five car/driver combinations is qualified to be competitive on any track at any time, but by using the same rules as the Runoffs, all could race for a national championship.
I suppose this calls for one more attempt at understanding. The Sox are known as champions of the World Series, yet they neither played any teams from Asia, nor was their championship recognized by the world.
Call it what you will, we refer to ourselves as National Champions. That said...Go Sox!

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

trd77
05-18-2005, 01:00 AM
I agree with the World Series analogy. The are not world champs. MLB calls their championship series the "World Series", when in reality they are league champions and not National Champs because they have a team in Canada. You can call yourself an IT National Champion if you want, but you and others know it is a self appointed title. Where does it end. I was at the ARRC several years back and saw a guy racing a Mazad in the event. On the car he had written "legal southeastern division champ". Was this recognized by members of the southeast or is it understood that anybody who beat him was cheating. Can we all gives ourselves titles of national recognition. How about we just call you the ARRC Winner or the ARRC Champ

madrabbit15
05-18-2005, 09:28 AM
trd77,

the SARRC division is pretty much the southeastern U.S. So that racer's statement would be correct.

Derek Ketchie

trd77
05-18-2005, 09:52 AM
sothe racer's statement on his car "legal southeast champion " is correct. he was a mid to end of the pack runner. so then if that statement is correct, everyone ahead of him is a confirmed cheater. If that is the case then there should be no crediblility in the southeast if everyone is acknowledgeing that the front runners are cheating

Knestis
05-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Sorry but if someone is willing to buy a sticker rather than a protest, he's part of the problem and leaves himself no room for whining.

K

madrabbit15
05-18-2005, 12:25 PM
My whole point unfortunately is that there is so much cheating in IT that in order for there to be a legit championship there needs to be a tear down. This is why I consider the ARRC more legit than the NARRC or anyother championship. Actually if you want to compare regions I give more credibility to a region that hosts a championship where there is a teardown rather than one that does not have a teardown. To me that makes sense. I have exercised my right to post money, and it does work and is the only true way to find out if they are legal or not.

charrbq
05-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Now that we've brutalized the term "Champion", does anyone want to come up with an interpretation of the bible that we all agree on?

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

Knestis
05-18-2005, 12:36 PM
(gets out 10-foot pole to not touch that with)

OTLimit
05-18-2005, 01:09 PM
(flame suit on)

Having been to all of the ARRC races in Atlanta (since the IT Festival died), I have to say that some years the teardowns are MUCH better then others. Personally, I would like to see the top three come apart. We have no problem with doing it, and have still gotten them back together for Sunday. Can't do it? Oh well; don't race on Sunday (many don't anyway). I would like to see the IT crowd held to a HIGHER standard then the National classes. For those of us who drive from outside of that division for what is touted to be a premier event, let's at least make sure that the winners are legal.
Otherwise, it's just another regional where some of the cheaters don't show up.

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

trd77
05-18-2005, 01:30 PM
madrabbit, I agree with your point about tear downs at the ARRC. I think it does give it a lot of legitimacy. I just thought it was funny seening this guy driving around midpack with this large sticker on each quater panel basicaly stating he was the fastest legal car and assuming that anyone who beat him was cheating. Did any else see this guy, it has been several years ago maybe 5-6. I always wonder what the story was behind hit

Marcus Miller
05-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
Since we've wandered a little afield...

Sears Point used to have the PCRRC (Pacific Coast Road Racing Championships) that attracted "the best" of the regional classes on the left edge of the country. We used to make the trek down from Seattle and the event had some luster. I don't think it survives today.
<snip>
K

PRRC was retired, and re-born under the name Western States Shootout for the past two years. It was held at the final SFR regional event of theyear, and combined with the Illgen RDC 4 hour enduro.
Unfortunately, due to low car counts, the "shootout" was cncelled this year, and the EOY regional moved to Sears Point.

Marcus

Bill Miller
05-19-2005, 07:23 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Call it what you will, we refer to ourselves as National Champions.</font>

Kinda makes you wonder what other envelopes people w/ this kind of attitude will push. BTW, just who are you trying to impress w/ that title?

I'm sort of w/ Kirk on this, I don't think it's appropriate for a single race to decide a National Champion. What other sanctioning body crowns a champion based on the result of one race? If anything, it's more akin to an all-star game than a championship.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Greg Amy
05-19-2005, 08:39 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">What other sanctioning body crowns a champion based on the result of one race? </font>

Uh, the SCCA Runoffs maybe?

OTLimit
05-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Chris and I have advocated a "best of three" concept for awhile--west, central, and east. Pick your two. And if bad luck strikes, you make the decision (or not) to go to the third.

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

gsbaker
05-19-2005, 08:51 AM
"Gallactic Grand Master" has a nice ring to it.

Any single-event crowning is, unfortunatly, marred with doubt, it's just the nature of the beast.

G

Bill Miller
05-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by GregAmy:
Uh, the SCCA Runoffs maybe?

Uh Greg, that's kinda what I was referring to. I don't really subscribe to the concept of a National Champion based on the results of one race.

------------------
SCCA 279608

solaris
05-19-2005, 11:22 AM
As long as we're making up titles...I shall henceforth be known as the "Dark Overlord of Speed". I've been looking for an excuse to break out the black cape and goat leggings at the races anyway http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

gsbaker
05-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by solaris:
As long as we're making up titles...I shall henceforth be known as the "Dark Overlord of Speed". I've been looking for an excuse to break out the black cape and goat leggings at the races anyway http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

Yes, m'Lord--and it should double well at tonight's Star Wars gig.

BTW m'Lord, is this what you look like in a Cobra?

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Users/Darth.jpg

http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC

oanglade
05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Call the winner "Gloria" for all I care. It's a freaking awesome weekend at a great track.
http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

------------------
Ony Anglade
ITA Miata
Roswell, GA

solaris
05-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by gsbaker:
Yes, m'Lord--and it should double well at tonight's Star Wars gig.

BTW m'Lord, is this what you look like in a Cobra?
http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

Very nice. However, the Dark Overlord's preferred ride is this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/solaris75/030304_fiorano_mcc1_G.jpg

[This message has been edited by solaris (edited May 19, 2005).]

PFM Racing
05-19-2005, 03:03 PM
I just love that Maserati. I makes me all hot and bothered.

------------------
Jennifer Rudder
PFM Racing
http://www.pfmracing.com

[This message has been edited by PFM Racing (edited May 19, 2005).]

gsbaker
05-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by solaris:
Very nice. However, the Dark Overlord's preferred ride is this:

Impressive, but I'd go with an open cockpit design. Otherwise, how will your cape flap in the breeze?

G

gsbaker
05-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by oanglade:
Call the winner "Gloria" for all I care. It's a freaking awesome weekend at a great track.
http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

That about says it all, Ony. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

G

charrbq
05-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Can you get the body parts for the Maserati that will attach to a Honda Civic?

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

PFM Racing
05-19-2005, 04:09 PM
I am sure we could make some.

------------------
Jennifer Rudder
PFM Racing

PFM Racing
05-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Actually I think this is what the Dark Overlord should drive.

http://mk23.image.pbase.com/u/speedracer/small/39927.UOP-CanAm-US74.jpg

------------------
Jennifer Rudder
PFM Racing

Bill Miller
05-19-2005, 10:11 PM
He should drive a red 'X'???

------------------
SCCA 279608

Catch22
05-20-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm all conflicted in that I both agree and disagree with some things here. This is a great discussion though.

My .$02...

As mentioned, it is funny that a few guys on the east coast just plain whip ass all year, then either never go to the ARRC or for some reason are oddly slower when they do go. Now, there aren't "alot" of guys like this, but they are out there. This seems to show that the teardowns do work.

As far as the teardowns are concerned, I hate them. Not because I'm cheating, because I'm lazy and I like beer and cajun food. If I win the ARRC, I don't want to spend the evening re-assembling my motor for the enduro, I want to spend it drinking beer and eating with my cajun buddies.
That said, I do agree that the teardowns lend some credibility that the podium is LEGAL, so I'll deal with it.

As far as the extent of the teardowns, I think its good the way it is. There seems to maybe be a bit of deviation year to year in that you don't know exactly what to expect. Heck, if they decided to not do teardowns at all one year it wouldn't matter at all as long as nobody KNEW they weren't going to do it.
Remember the "doomsday device" from Dr. Strangelove??? The knowlege that a tear *could* happen will keep cheaters away, but only if everybody knows about it. At this point I think everybody knows about it. I'd even be all for a system of drawing a car number out of a hat for the top 5. Whoever gets drawn gets a complete teardown, the other guys get to watch. I think that would still deter cheating and be easier on everybody. The tech shed sure would be less crowded.
I think we were stuck in there for 2 hours last year. That kind of sucked.

As far as it being a "real" championship... Well, it might not be. But what it is is as close as we IT guys are going to get, so I have no issues calling the winner a National Champion. As Greg mentioned, if someone in the midwest wants to put on an event like this... Go for it. Most of us that try to run up front at the ARRC would be there.

Finally, if you've never been to an ARRC... It's different. Honestly, it is. Its not just a glorified SEDIV race.
Its just different. The competition is tougher, the stakes are higher, and everyone cranks it up a notch. Last year was my first ARRC as a competitor and I was nervous as all hell. Note that I don't get nervous, ever. Friends have made fun of me for napping or planning what I'm going to have for dinner inside the 5 minute call on grid. At the ARRC last year I actually had to take a minute and get my proverbial shit together.
Yeah... Its different.

------------------
#22 ITC Honda Civic
3rd Place 2004 ARRC
1st Place 2004 ARRC Enduro
www.motorpride.com/Catch22 (http://www.motorpride.com/Catch22)

charrbq
05-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Scott, I suppose that's what I meant when I refered to "Natonal Champion". I didn't know I ws going to stir up a nest of ACLU employees. It's just different. Sure, most of the people running are from the area, but the same thing happens at the Runoffs at Mid Ohio. We'll see how that may change at Topeka.
As for the Cajun food and beer...our cook was up in impound helping tear down the winner and never missed a stir of the gumbo pot. There was an interesting flavor to the roux last year, though. Did your bowl have some crunchy stuff in it, too?

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

Catch22
05-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Did your bowl have some crunchy stuff in it, too?

Well, no.
I think he put something "special" in your bowl. He was mumbling something about secret ingredients.

zracre
05-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Will the beloved cook be at the double SARRC in Roebling on july 9 and 10????

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

charrbq
05-22-2005, 06:47 AM
Sorry, Evan, I doubt it serously. If he makes a showing, it will only be to crew. He hangs up his black iron pot and propane burner after each ARRC. The food effort takes about two full weeks to prepare and somewhere around $500 to finance. It's something he loves to do just 'cause people love hime to do it. Eat up, there's plenty.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

RSTPerformance
05-22-2005, 04:50 PM
If anyone tries to argue that this race isn't "championship level" argue it AFTER going to one of the events (even as a spectator). First off thier are as many tractor trailers at this event to make anyone go home and dream of better things. Also the cars competing are as good as you can get, with some of the best drivers you can get. Look at past results, you will notice a few big names, and a ton of close races that I think would challenge/beat any IT driver from any class.

Raymond Blethen
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)

Catch22
05-22-2005, 05:09 PM
There are quite a few folks that come to the ARRC more to eat from that black kettle than to watch the races.

A friend of mine that is quite a competent trackside cook (he fired up the grill and fed our VIR 13 hour team last year) was absolutely humbled last year by what was coming out of that kettle.

Scott, whos ARRC paddock spot is no accident

RacerBowie
05-23-2005, 07:08 AM
I got 3 words for you:

Deermeat Sauce Piquant

trd77
05-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Raymond, I have been to the ARRC as a spectator about six years ago. I was not impressed with the total quality of the fields and the atmosphere of the event. Maybe that has changed in the recent years. I would also agree that it is bigger than most or any Regional event. However it brings up the point again, this is not a National Championship. Do not get me wrong, it is a great event to win, I just do not think we should be going around calling someone the National Champ. I think they should be called the ARRC Champ. Raymond I think you can equate it to the June Sprints. It is the biggest National of the year and has a championship quality to it and is very contested, but it is one national and awarded the same points as any other.

m glassburner
05-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Let's get an opinion pool going....which track would you like to see (centrally I assume) host a "national champ" race ?? My vote is for topeka http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

RacerBowie
05-23-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't really care what track it is, if there was a centrally located, "recognized" National Championship for IT, I would be there.

If this were to happen in 2006, I think it would be pretty darn cool! I think there would need to be at least a year's notice, so that people could plan it into their racing schedules/budgets.

That said, I already treat the ARRC as a National Championship, because it is as close to one as we have!

Bowie

PFM Racing
05-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
He should drive a red 'X'???

Apparently I am incapable of getting a picture of the UOP Shadow to work. Oh well...

Wait, let me try again http://www.horacingcenter.homestead.com/files/vaca32.jpg

------------------
Jennifer Rudder
PFM Racing

[This message has been edited by PFM Racing (edited May 23, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by PFM Racing (edited May 23, 2005).]

Bill Miller
05-23-2005, 11:55 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Raymond I think you can equate it to the June Sprints. It is the biggest National of the year and has a championship quality to it and is very contested, but it is one national and awarded the same points as any other.</font>

That's the best analogy I've heard yet.

------------------
SCCA 279608

RSTPerformance
05-23-2005, 12:58 PM
The June sprints are not the biggest National of the year... This year as in every year past it will be the SCCA National Runoffs.

The only difference I see is that you need to qualify to get into the National Runoffs, but in reality... what class do you really need to qualify to get into??? Its not that hard, if you want to go you can pritty much go.

Raymond

trd77
05-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Raymond, the Runoffs is a recognized event to award a National Champion, so it is not just another national race. The June Sprints are. The June Sprints hold no more value in qualifying for the Runoffs than a poorly attend National else were in the country. No matter what is said, there is still atleast a qualifing format in order to attend. I agree that some or most classes it is easy to do, and some are harder to do. That does not change the fact that there are "qualifing" factors in order to get an "invitation". To my knowledge this is the only SCCA club raing event that does this. I would have no problem if the SCCA acknowledge the ARRC as a Regional National Champion. I think they should, the SCCA has a history with Road Atlanta and is as good a place as any or better than most. The SCCA will not however, because the do not want regional classes to go for a national championships. So it come back to the fact that the ARRC has no claim for a National Championship, (at this time).

zracre
05-23-2005, 01:49 PM
As i have said i think mid ohio would be a nice place since the national guys are done with it....

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

m glassburner
05-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Ok, one vote for mid-ohio and one for topeka....anyone else???

charrbq
05-23-2005, 02:11 PM
I'll agree with that. The SCCA dumped Road Atlanta and IT in the same year as national championship events. Now the Runoffs have been moved from a world class facility to a Kansas cornfield. As much as I love the Atlanta track, if they called the race at Mid Ohio a national championship, I'd go back to race there. Of course, I probably wouldn't be competitive, but then neither are a bunch of the racers that enter the Runoffs...even though they "qualified".

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

RSTPerformance
05-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Road Atlanta is perfect how it is... The region does a wonderful job putting on the event, so I see no need to change it, although I am sure that NER could do the best job http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif, it is to bad our tracks are so small and our track times are very limited.

:-P

Raymond

trd77
05-23-2005, 02:34 PM
being biased I would love it a Mid-Ohio. great facility and a fun track.

zracre
05-23-2005, 04:55 PM
I love road atlanta...they put on a top notch show and its a beautiful track, but i think ohio is more central and may attract more west coast people as well as cen div and northeast...

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

bobpink
05-23-2005, 05:13 PM
In November? :-)

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude

Bill Miller
05-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
Road Atlanta is perfect how it is... The region does a wonderful job putting on the event, so I see no need to change it, although I am sure that NER could do the best job http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif, it is to bad our tracks are so small and our track times are very limited.

:-P

Raymond

Not to mention that they'd probably want a $500 entry fee at LRP!!! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/eek.gif http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

------------------
SCCA 279608

Bill Miller
05-23-2005, 05:57 PM
The June sprints are not the biggest National of the year... This year as in every year past it will be the SCCA National Runoffs.

The only difference I see is that you need to qualify to get into the National Runoffs, but in reality... what class do you really need to qualify to get into??? Its not that hard, if you want to go you can pritty much go.

Raymond

Come on Raymond, now you're just being silly. And you really need to qualify in all of the classes (4 starts, 3 finishes). Wait until next year, and see how many SM folks don't get to go!

BTW, you can race the ARRC on a novice book!

------------------
SCCA 279608

Catch22
05-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:

BTW, you can race the ARRC on a novice book!

No. You can't.

Bill Miller
05-23-2005, 08:02 PM
From the 2004 ARRC Supps.

4. Driver Eligibility: Each driver must hold a current SCCA Competition License per the GCR. If you are a novice permit holder, you must have competed 2 races(equivalent to a Regional Competition License) with a Chief Steward’s signature on the inside back cover of your permit. Prior approval from the Chief Steward is required for Novice Permit holders. Please call Sue Roethel at 706-654-4740 for Novice Permit Approvals.

Maybe it's changed for this year, but they way I read that, you can run the race on a Novice book.

------------------
SCCA 279608

Catch22
05-23-2005, 09:02 PM
It says it right there in your post Bill...

you must have competed 2 races(equivalent to a Regional Competition License)

[This message has been edited by Catch22 (edited May 23, 2005).]

rjohnson999
05-23-2005, 09:03 PM
The Runoffs isn't a National. It's the National Championship Runoffs. There are things in the GCR and elsewhere that apply to the Runoffs that don't apply to a National. It's run to a very different set of rules than a National and that's not just the Supps.

Raymond

Bill Miller
05-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Catch22:
It says it right there in your post Bill...

you must have competed 2 races(equivalent to a Regional Competition License)

[This message has been edited by Catch22 (edited May 23, 2005).]

It also says that if you have a Novice Permit, you must get prior approval of the Chief Steward. Can you run it as one of your two probationary races? No, but if you've run the two probationary races, and get approval of the Chief Steward, you can run the ARRC on your Novice Book.

------------------
SCCA 279608

Catch22
05-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Well, OK Bill, if you want to pluck nits you're doing a fine job.

Yes, if you have 2 races in your novice book you can get approval to run in the ARRC with that book. You can also mail that same book to Topeka and get a Regional License.

A Novice book with 2 races in it is only different from a regional license in that it won't fit in your wallet.

charrbq
05-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Pick Nits! I thought that was the purpose of this thread! National Championshis and Novice Permits! Cheese And Rice!

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

zracre
05-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Ha, I started this thread to see who is going for friendly conversation and to stir up the s#%t talkers!!! c'mon guys it is what it is lets just have fun and RACE!!!! The ARRC is the biggest (maybe not largest turnout...I mean on a published level) IT race we have to decide who is the best in the country. If you dont show up you are only the best in your area and your head. If you are the best National driver and dont show up to the Runoffs, well same applies even if you qualified. If you take IT seriously it should be planned for and run. Yes it is SE biased because of its location but every track in this country is going to be biased towards its neighboring regions and have locals that will kick butt. My car is a winner on the regional level (although underdeveloped) and i got my butt handed to me there...oh well you know i will be there this year to do better.
Cheers!!!

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

Knestis
05-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Spoken like someone who lives near RA rather than say, in Seattle.

Raise the entry fee for everyone by $500, use the revenues for a tow fund based on the distance traveled, and see if patterns of geographic participation change.

Or do something - anything, it doesn't matter what - so that the top-finishing cars in all divisional championships attend. That would lend some credibility to asprirations of national championshiphood.

Otherwise, it just isn't - regardless of how great the event is.

Maybe one needs to have been other places to get a sense of how big this country is to race in?

K

zracre
05-24-2005, 02:15 PM
That is the reasoning keeping IT regional. If it was in Seattle or Cali or LRP or the Glen (or anywhere denoting it is the IT race of the year and have coverage to back it up) I would go...just omit some regional weekends from the schedule to afford it. ...The creds come with winning the ARRC. Serra has his IT car plastered in full page ads with his win there...there is a review of the race in GRM...Yes it is a big country, I have traveled it by car from east to west and north to south (born and raised in the boston area). That does not stop me from racing though...

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

zracre
05-24-2005, 02:18 PM
oh and it is about a 12 to 14 hour tow there....

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

gran racing
05-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Hmmm, maybe some of the S.E. racers will make the trip up to the NARRC - yes, another championship event.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

Bill Miller
05-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by zracre:
That is the reasoning keeping IT regional. If it was in Seattle or Cali or LRP or the Glen (or anywhere denoting it is the IT race of the year and have coverage to back it up) I would go...just omit some regional weekends from the schedule to afford it. ...The creds come with winning the ARRC. Serra has his IT car plastered in full page ads with his win there...there is a review of the race in GRM...Yes it is a big country, I have traveled it by car from east to west and north to south (born and raised in the boston area). That does not stop me from racing though...

Hey, AutoWeek used to have a write-up on the Longest Day at Nelson (Note to self: dig out some of those old AW issues!).

This seems to be a case of "If you say something long enough, people will start to believe it."

------------------
SCCA 279608

trd77
05-24-2005, 03:14 PM
I think they event should be rotated around to several track from year to year. We will then see how many of the SE guys are willing to travel for a regional event. I also think the should there should be a tow fund for the top finisher in each division for each class: ITS, ITA,ITB and ITC. I think the ARRC should make easy for the division winners across the country to go. Make it so they would have a hard time justifing not going. Then it would be a greater event

zracre
05-24-2005, 03:37 PM
"Hmmm, maybe some of the S.E. racers will make the trip up to the NARRC - yes, another championship event."

sure just remove the "N" http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif isnt that a divisional race like the SARRC? If it had the creds like the ARRC id be there...im trying to plan a trip up to LRP this summer i just need to look at the schedules and get it planned...any other SE people wanna go?

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

[This message has been edited by zracre (edited May 24, 2005).]

Chris Wire
05-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Isn't this just semantics?

I mean the only people I have seen equate the ARRC with an IT National Championship have no association with the ARRC at all.

That said, NARRC/SARRC races are just divisional championships run at the end of the season. In the SARRC, you have to do a minimum number of races to qualify, and the event is a double points event (used to be triple) to really make things interesting. So I don't think just any out-of-division drivers can simply show up and race at the NARRC/SARRC weekend. The ARRC, in contrast, awards no points.

Part of me would like to see the ARRC (or any other similar event) get anywhere near the buildup and hype from Topeka that the Runoffs and June Sprints gets. If you were to rely soley on SCCA/Sportscar to provide you with information before and after the ARRC, you would be left wanting.

I did run the enduro portion of the ARRC back in 2000, and loved it. For me the atmosphere is elevated above a normal regional weekend. No points, leave-it-all-on-the-table, 2nd-place-is-the-first-loser kind of race weekend. No whining, just drive! I'm kidding about the "loser" part of course, because anyone who makes the podium at the ARRC, in my opinion, has definitely earned it.

The fact that it usually falls on my anniversary makes it hard to put on the schedule every year, but as I get the car finished, sorted, and reliable, I will definitely be back.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

gsbaker
05-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Excellent summary, Chris.

Of all the race events I go to I enjoy the ARRC the most because it is amateur racers in a knock-down, drag-out battle.

No cameras, no press releases, no sponsor posturing, no posing. When it's over, everyone knows who the big dogs are.

I grin for days, and I'm just a spectator.

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC

gsbaker
05-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Chris Wire:
...The fact that it usually falls on my anniversary makes it hard to put on the schedule every year, but as I get the car finished, sorted, and reliable, I will definitely be back.

The solution is obvious, Chris: bring the bride. Even if she is not the racing type, you can bunk at the Chateau Elan and she can use the spa or golf while you hit the track.

Perfect.

G

Chris Wire
05-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by gsbaker:
The solution is obvious, Chris: bring the bride. Even if she is not the racing type, you can bunk at the Chateau Elan and she can use the spa or golf while you hit the track.

Perfect.

G

And your wife will babysit the kids, right?

Perfect!!!

C

charrbq
05-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Moving the ARRC from track to track on a yearly basis is just plain anal. Not only do racers and teams have to plan schedules (most of us do have jobs), but the hosting track/regions will have a whale of a job to get ready, promote, and sponsor it. Not to mention the scheduling problem that would come with a traveling championsip of any name. The good people of Atlanta picked up the ball when the SCCA dropped it in '94. They gave IT some credibility after the Carl Haas directed BOD dumped on them and took the circus to Mid-Ohio. Mid-Ohio is a super track, but there was more going on there than was made public...or so I understand. When we (IT racers) had a chance to race for a championship of any sort at the same track that the Runoffs had been held for decades! Well, it was and is a no brainer.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

gsbaker
05-25-2005, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Chris Wire:
And your wife will babysit the kids, right?

Perfect!!!

C

Oops! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

G

Bill Miller
05-25-2005, 07:28 AM
100! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

------------------
SCCA 279608

lateapex911
05-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Man that Maser looks the business in black!!!!! (It's not so impressive in white)

I'm with you Jenifer!

Closed cockpits are better for caped crusaders, as the cape always gets sucked into the madated air inlet when driving open cockpit crime fighters..

"One day" (as opposed to series decided)National Championships are very common and very legitimate in many forms of sport. Swimming for one. You qualify for the meet during the season at local meets, swim in "trials" in the AM, then swim "finals" at night. You win, you are the man. If not, wait until next year.

I would love to have a central site, and a more legit title of "National Champion" than currently exists, but the Atlata flks have a killer track (better bring every last HP!), and they do teardowns which help (but are not the absolute last say) credibility.

To create a true National Championship for IT would have to exclude certain cars from the race due to lack ofconsistant documentation.

The ARRC is a great event, and the best way to improve it would be keep doing what they're doing! I wouldn't complain about more intensive teardows, and a tow fund is a cool idea, but it might come at the expense of some lost entries.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited May 25, 2005).]

R2 Racing
05-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Wow, what an interesting conversation. I guess I'll add my $.02....

I've been to 4 ARRC's now and last year was my first time I actually raced in the event myself. It was my first year in ITA and I was already amazed by the level of competition and great driver/car combo's in ITA in the CenDiv. The three previous years I crewed and spectated for others at the ARRC and even though I wasn't even racing myself, I thought it was the greatest event I attended every year. The people, the cars, the drivers, the prestige, the competition, everything is a cut above the rest. IT'S NOT YOUR AVERAGE REGIONAL! Then for last year I got to show up with my own ride and was honestly way more excited/nervous/awstruck/whatever than I've ever been at any event. After reading the entry list I said "Damn....this is gonna be tough." I was more than thrilled with my performance and I only finished 7th. After being in that race and knowing how hard I had to drive and how perfect my car needed to be just to get 7th, you bet your ass I consider Anthony the reigning ITA national champion.

Is it an official National Championship? No. The only authority on that is our good friends in Topeka; not us bickering about it on the internet. They've made it quite clear that IT is never (or at least anytime soon) going to have an officially recognized National Championship. But I can't blame them - having a national championship for classes that don't guarantee the competitiveness of each car is an oxymoron. So what are we to do? Well, do it on our own and hold an event that's held above all the rest of them. Lucky for us, that's exactly what we have. Wether or not you want to walk up to the ARRC winner and say "Congrats on the national championship." or "Congrats on the ARRC Championship." doesn't make a lick of difference to me. Personally, I take them to mean the same thing.

As for moving the event around, I wouldn't mind if it happened every 5 years or so. As someone else said, you can't feasibly move it every year. Way too much work is needed to set it all up and build up a fan base to just go and move it every year. I'd go damn near anywhere for this event. But if you guys are serious, I'd love to see it come into my backyard at Mid Ohio. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

------------------
Kevin
Ruck Racing
'92 ITA Acura Integra RS
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

tom_sprecher
05-26-2005, 02:33 PM
I would put in my $.02, but I'm a little short, so here's a penny.

I have participated at the ARRC for the past 3 years in CFC. That's Club Formula Continental for those who don't know or care about the open wheel set. CFC, like a few other classes (SPO, SPU, IT7, FS, etc.), is a divisional class and like IT does not have a race to determine the national champ.

Until there is such an event held for that purpose (don’t hold your breath) I think it's safe to say that most of us consider the ARRC to be the catch all race to determine the national champion. If you are so inclined you can compete with others that, in general, feel the same way. Also, on behalf of myself and the rest of the Atlanta Region, we hope you do.

If you choose not to participate that is your prerogative but it is not fair to belittle the first class event that the ARRC has become or anyone who wins it and claims to be the national champ. The way I look at it you can either embrace it as your own or reject it and have nothing. I prefer that someone in my class can call themselves “The CFC National Champion”. Hopefully, one day I can make the same claim in IT? or SPO.

------------------
Tom Sprecher
Team SuperTech

Catch22
05-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Another thing about the ARRC to go along with the media coverage, the extra competition, and the atmosphere is the contingencies. I walked away from last years weekend with 5 Hoosiers, 4 Koni rebuilds, and a free wheel repair. And there was more stuff available that I didn't sign up for.

I figure I bagged about $1000 worth of awards. Certainly nothing to sneeze at and certainly far better than an average regional or even national weekend.

"National Champ?" I got no problem calling the ARRC winner this because nothing out there even comes close for regional racers. More than one World Challenge ride has been scored on the heels of an ARRC win and there are businesses out there who proudly display an ARRC win as evidence that they know what they are doing. Its as close to the Runoffs as we lowly IT drivers are going to get, so lets embrace it instead of arguing semantics.

charrbq
05-26-2005, 08:12 PM
For the last 3 cents and a free comment, I thank you. You have my blessings to continue enjoying the ARRC for whatever reason you want and for whatever you want to call yourselves at the end of the race. Each of you is entitled to at least one bowl of jambalaya, gumbo, or venison sauce picant...more if you wish, but you'd better get to the skid pad early...and plan to have a good time.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

Greg Amy
05-26-2005, 09:00 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...so lets embrace it instead of arguing semantics.</font>

Amen, brother Giles.

GregA, who's paddocking next to Scottso this year 'cause I know how to eat Cajun and I know I'm gonna be hungry, sha.

zracre
05-26-2005, 10:18 PM
i know i have one side covered!! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

planet6racing
05-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Where were you guys last year? Had we known, we would have made the rounds and met everyone!

This year (2005), we should find a way to at least know where everyone is, if not paddock near everyone. Gregg Baker (of Isaac) keeps mentioning the IT Party RV, so we would all have a central place to meet and eat, should we choose to do that.

And, I can say that I ate the best at the ARRC, as long as I wasn't having lunch at the track grill. Jarrod and his group know how to make some Fantastic brisket and I can't wait to go back! I'm constantly trying new recipes so I can have something to bring to the party!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

R2 Racing
05-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Each of you is entitled to at least one bowl of jambalaya, gumbo, or venison sauce picant...more if you wish, but you'd better get to the skid pad early...and plan to have a good time.
[/B]

I was parked right smack in the middle of the skid pad last year - inbetween OPM and Stretch. Why was I not informed?

weak... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

------------------
Kevin
Ruck Racing
'92 ITA Acura Integra RS
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

Catch22
05-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Because you're a big fat guy, and being a big fat guy myself I'm smart enough to not point you towards the Cajun Kettle. What, you think I stoopid or sumthin'.

My usual paddock spot at RA is on the tech shed side of the skid pad. Usually next to Rebstock and Forrest Heath and across from OPM. I guess we gotta wiggle Amy's ass in there this year as well http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif.

Scott, who knows where the "other" ARRC cajun party is located, and will share with you if you're nice to me.

RacerBowie
05-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Be careful who you share that info with there Giles!

For example, Ruck is a big guy, and I was a bit worried he was going to want to get involved in the various wrestling matches that were going on and pay me back for edging him out in the race last year!

Fortunately, he was pretty passive....

R2 Racing
05-27-2005, 02:53 PM
For example, Ruck is a big guy, and I was a bit worried he was going to want to get involved in the various wrestling matches that were going on and pay me back for edging him out in the race last year!

Fortunately, he was pretty passive....[/B]

Haha, well it was only my first year there so I couldn't do anything too stupid. This year on the other hand, we'll have to see. I had a lot of fun at the Saturday night party in the woods last year though, that's for sure. Definately looking forward to it again.

I'm working on that "big fat guy" thing so hopefully I won't be giving up 80lbs to the rest of the ITA cars this year. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

------------------
Kevin
Ruck Racing
'92 ITA Acura Integra RS
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

gsbaker
05-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Let the trash talkin' begin... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

G

charrbq
05-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Scott, Don't know if Forrest will be there this year. He tore his car up real bad at Memphis when a Specc Pinata spun up the track into him. He wasn't hurt, but between the Miata and the wrecker crew, the car was pretty well torn up. I haven't decided whether or not to run the enduro in my car, though. It will depend on how I do in July. If not, then there will be room for another victim of the iron pot next to us.
The key to a full tummy at the ARRC is to get there before the Hoosier guys do...especially on Saturday night.
As far as the other Cajun food party goes, I know where it is, too, and I ain't talkin'!

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

gsbaker
05-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by charrbq:
...As far as the other Cajun food party goes, I know where it is, too, and I ain't talkin'!

Ditto!

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC

zracre
05-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Planet 6 saturn you were almost next to us...

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

Hracer
05-31-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm a little late to this thread, but let me make my contribution with some videos from the '03 and '04 ARRCs.

ARRC '03. Car is an ITA CRX. These clips show only a little bit from the good racing we had in the 4 car battle for the lead that lasted the whole race. It’s too bad Bob S. DNFed that year. It would have been interesting to see if we could have stayed with him.
Start03 (http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte231u/start03.wmv)
ARRC03-1 (http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte231u/arrc03-1.wmv)
ARRC03-2 (http://http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte231u/arrc03-2.wmv)
ARRC04-2 (http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte231u/arrc03-3.wmv)

ARRC '04. Car is an ITA Integra. These are much less exciting. The car was new and suffered from brake and transmission problems that weekend. They got much worse in the race (both are visible in the second clip.)
Start04 (http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte231u/start04.wmv)
LastLap04 (http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte231u/lastlap04.wmv)

Can't wait for this year! We are hungry for a good result, the car is faster than last year and we'll definitely be on our best game come November. Now I'll the trash talking continue. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

------------------
Alex
#90 ITA

R2 Racing
05-31-2005, 04:28 PM
Awesome videos, Alex. That '03 ITA race at the ARRC is still one of the greatest races I have ever seen. I was standing up on the hill at turn 5 watching from there. That race was a really big reason why I started building an ITA car two months later.

I'm still pissed that my in car camera crapped on me after only about 5 laps during last years ITA race.

------------------
Kevin
Ruck Racing
'92 ITA Acura Integra RS
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

JIgou
06-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Bill, we're much better at the brisket now....although it's tough to cook it well when we leave it unattended for about 8 hours and go to the Chateau.....

Jarrod

924Guy
06-21-2005, 12:19 PM
I must admit, after hearing all the good noises, if my season continues to go as strong as it does, I may be convinced to make the trek and come down for my first ARRC this year! I'm already tempted... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

------------------
Vaughan Scott
Detroit Region #280052
'79 924 #77 ITB/GTS1
www.vaughanscott.com

planet6racing
06-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Vaughn, it was a great time, even though I smacked up the car. You would have a good time!

Jarrod, what you guys made last year was fantastic! I can't imagine how much better it could get! You guys have made an addict out of me for Brisket. A new BBQ place opened near my house and, everytime I go there, I order the brisket and think about Atlanta...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

gsbaker
06-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Vaughan,

You must go. At least go to watch. After all, we may need someone to fly into Atlanta and pick up the RV. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

G

zracre
06-23-2005, 08:29 AM
Is anyone going to "practice" at the July race there?

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

R2 Racing
06-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by zracre:
Is anyone going to "practice" at the July race there?

I heard a little rumor that the reigning ITA champion might be taking his new ITA ride down there for a little testing. Just don't quote me on that. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

zracre
06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
That would be cool!! I need to test out some new equipment on the car and it will be a good guage to see how i am doing...last year was my cars first real race and my first time there in years (since 10a and 10b). and i just discovered hoosiers....

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra