PDA

View Full Version : My ARRC 2004 Adventure in pictures, words and video

planet6racing
11-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Well, I finally got my trip summarized, the video digitized, and everything posted to the web.

http://www.planet6racing.com

Please note that the image at the top of page 3 is a link to the video, and that the video is 20 MB in size (I'm working on a smaller version for the dial-up people). The video is rated PG and contains one bleeped out swear word (in other words, it is work safe).

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

RSTPerformance
11-16-2004, 02:19 PM
When I was watching the video at Paddy's it didn't "click" that this was your first time at Road Atlanta and that your wheel adventure was from that day... Thats crazy stuff!!! Good save, and good story...

see you next year!!!

Raymond Blethen

joeg
11-16-2004, 02:36 PM
That's frightening...

Happened to me once on a Pro Rally Stage but instead of concrete, we found a big tree.

There is no scarier feeling in a car than loosing your steering.

Better luck next time (although I think your subsequent belt problem was related).

planet6racing
11-16-2004, 03:14 PM
The belt problem was related. The alternator broke in 4 places, including snapping one of the grade 8 (well, the metric equivalent) bolts that hold it to the block.

It was scary, but since it all turned out relatively OK, it's really easy to laugh at. I know it won't happen again (well, OK, it will, but not for at least 5 years!).

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

Tom Donnelly
11-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Bill,

I'll bet that's happened to more than will admit. I had the wheel slip off down the back straight on the pace lap at Road Atlanta. It was a good thing I wasn't scrubbing the tires. I was fortunate enough to get the wheel right back on.

Banging on the steering wheel looked real familar too.

Tom

Banzai240
11-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by planet6racing:
...including snapping one of the grade 8 (well, the metric equivalent) bolts that hold it to the block.

I don't know if this applies, but grade 8 bolts are harder, and therefore more brittle, than grade 5 bolts. While they are "stronger", they don't do well when stress to the point of bending, or under high vibrations.

Many people use grade 8 in suspension applications, where grade 5 would be more appropriate, due to it's ability to give without breaking. Perhaps this might be one of those situations as well? Whether or not we can see it, the alternator undergoes a LOT of vibration and the belt places the bolts under a lot of side-loading stress... They need to be able to flex without cracking.

This is one of those applications where I'd opt for a good grade 5 bolt instead...

Thanks for the website, by the way... Will make me think twice about how I attach my steering wheel!!

Better luck next season!

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

zracre
11-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Yikes!!! I almost had that happen once at night testing the car in a parking lot before a race...had scary dreams of that happening. happy all was well...

lateapex911
11-16-2004, 08:30 PM
It was great meeting you Bill, I just wished you lived closer and raced near us...I couldn't ask for a nicer competitior.

Say hi to Jane, but get her off the Cracker barrel stuff...it's affecting her hands...she's really shaky...have you looked at your pictures?? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Eagle7
11-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Bill,

Please forgive me, but I almost busted a gut when the wipers came on because...

In my very first race (last year) I bumped the ignition key with my knee, killing the engine. I had no clue what was going on as I coasted to a stop. Finally, when I tried to restart it with the key, my hand hit the wiper switch, so as I'm pulling away rounding a curve I'm trying to figure out how to get the blasted wipers off. We laugh about that incident often. The ignition switch has since been relocated.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

Greg Amy
11-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Bill, I gotta hand it to you: I would have buried that video faster than you can say, "whadyatalkinabout?"

(Checking the steering wheel attachment is one of the last items on my pre-game checklist...)

ddewhurst
11-16-2004, 10:58 PM
Bill, you came away from that deal very LUCKY...............

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

ps: Ben, be gentle on the blue 92 guy.

Quickshoe
11-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Darin is onto something. During a complete frame up restoration on my FF, I replaced every single bolt in shear with the proper grip length AN fastener and every bolt that wasn't with a Grade 8, thinking I was doing the right thing. During my second race I snapped a bolt off flush with the motor mount/chassis connection. I couldn't believe it until someone who had been around race cars for a long time told me a grade 8 bolt has no place on a race car. AN everywhere you can and Grade 5 anywhere you can't. For the exact reasons Darin mentions.

I am one of those people with the archaic string and can internet connection so I haven't viewed the video. Safe to say the steering wheel being securely fastened will now be part of your pre-race grid ritual, too. Only takes once!

moto62
11-17-2004, 01:54 AM
Excellent write up Bill. We knew it would be a good one. Nice meeting you and Jane and we hope to see you at RA again next year. Your first trip to the ARRC is similar to mine last year but at least I made it three laps before my distributer fell out. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif At least we can can all laugh about these things afterwords and come back to fight another day.
Ray

Geo
11-17-2004, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by GregAmy:
Bill, I gotta hand it to you: I would have buried that video faster than you can say, "whadyatalkinabout?"

Oh, he didn't stand a chance with that one. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif To his credit, Bill is a good sport and can laugh about it.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

planet6racing
11-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Well, I'm laughing because it was my own fault, it was a relatively safe crash, and I didn't get hurt.

The good thing is, now, I'm over the "keep the car perfect, do everything to keep from hitting anything" phase of the car ownership and can charge even harder next year!

As for the blurry pics, well, that became a running joke after the Kentucky sign. Everytime Jane would push the button to take the picture, I'd hit a bump and everything would be blurry! And, it's not like I was going to turn around just to get another shot at it...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

Hracer
11-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Bill, I watched from T1 and saw your car drive into the wall. I was sure something broke, but now I see why. It is good that it wasn't any worse! We didn't formally meet in person, but I saw you out there on the track on Friday I believe. Hope to see you again soon. Good luck with the car.

------------------
Alex
#90 ITA

racer-025
11-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Bill,

I've been there! Started a race mid pack and went straight off turn 3 (home track) trying to steer the car with the steering wheel pulled off. I've only done that once. This was due to a crew member not locking the wheel back in place when he got out of the car. Sometimes I get in without removing the wheel. I NOW make sure it is locked every time.

GEO46
11-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Scary moment for you there. Glad things didn't happen in a "worse" way.

Know what ya mean about them Cracker Barrels. On a recent week road trip, we ate luch at one at least 9 times. Didn't try the sugar cured ham though. Maybe next time???